Brake Light Modulator --- ESP Light

• Rescuing this one from that "other place"

FOR YOUR INFO file..

Did not want to step on any vendor toes, nor did I want to drag up earlier posts of same subject with a different status...

Installed the plug-n-play third light brake modulator. Some time later, got the ESP intervention light steady on (car with squiggly lines). Did the key off/restart trick and reset. As miles ticked on, started getting the ESP light more often. Found the brake lights failing to go off when pedal released. So, ESP light illuminate and check brake lights to find steady on.

After perusing numerous posts on the brake light modulator, I removed it. Ran some stationary brake pedal/switch tests, short term, long stop light, waiting for train to pass as mentioned in another post... Brake lights immediately went out with pedal release. No noticeable delay or constant on as when the brake light modulator was installed. Six hundred miles on the road since removal and no ESP light.

Conclusion: Under troubleshooting philosophy, last thing done, first place to start. The brake light modulator was causing a problem for me. Whether it was the brake light modulator or an early warning of a problem I will incur later is unknown. But for now, all is good.

...and now you know. :rolleyes:

These are from my content... I have no plans to pull others content:ie: Pictures, ideas postings... Clear text in response to my content I believe to be shared content...
    If anyone sees fault in this, SPEECH UP!

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

Edited once, last by airoutlaw ().

• I also just installed the brake light modulator and today started getting the the squiggly line light. The light just goes on and off by itself while driving and does not reset when you turn the SS off and then restart. Thank you for bring this over from the dark side, there is a lot more stuff that needs to be moved. Anyway, tomorrow I will take the modulator off and see what happens.

• Hey I replied on the other thread. I may know why I don't get an error. I am running a real brake light switch. I tossed that crappy magnetic switch. I used to get that squiggly symbol. After I changed the magnetic junk out and installed the NAPA brake switch it never bothered me again

I marked that thread and wrote the info down in case I had to do that to my SS. I think I am just going ahead and replace the switch like you did.

• I have made brake modulators up and have sold them locally to guys around here. None of us have had this problem. Could it be theirs are pulling more current to cause that? Isit something that started as soon as the modulator was installed?

• I never noticed it yesterday and I did not take it out for a ride after install Wed. But today it has been on and off all day just riding down the road. Does not happen when you hit the brakes and does not reset when you switch it off and restart. I will take it off in the morning.

• It's the sketchy magnetic brake switch. Some bikes came with a weak one. I think adding in anything on the brake circuit caused it to have a flutter effect on the circuit. And it will trigger the symbol. When that icon is lit your brake lights are on constant. So the only way to reset the brake lights is to turn off the key and restart it.

• I bought a generic modulator on Amazon, and spliced it in line with the third brake light wiring. I didn't have any issues with it. However, I didn't want any issues with it either so, I also went with the brake switch from NAPA. I thought that the original switch was pretty hoky for a street machine.

• OK, I HAVE ALL THE INFO. PROBLEMS OTHERS ARE HAVING, THAT OTHERS HAVE POSTED ON THE ESP PROBLEM. I DO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. NOW I DID READ THAT OTHERS ON HERE HAVE INSTALLED ANOTHER BRAKE SWITCH? OR WHAT? CAN YOU STRAIGTHEN ME OUT HERE. I AM TAKING IT IN ON FRIDAY FOR WARRANTY WORK ON THIS PROBLEM IF I DONT GET IT FIXED BEFORE HAND.

WHAT IS THE PHOTO SHOWING FROM MAY 6TH?