Who already has over 400HP Slingshot to the wheel?

• I was informed by Shawn that they would not be doing parts for Slingshots anymore. He contacted me the other day when it was time to renew being a vendor on the site. I am guessing that there isn't a huge market for these kinds of setups. Im sure high end auto work is where his time is mainly spent.

It is beautiful though. And he is gifted when it comes to CNC work.

• Did he say if it was ever finished? Or did money run out and they just put it back to stock? OR whats the story? I wanna see that thing fly down the road or track.

Slingshot LIFE!!! #SlingshotHouston Find us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Youtube

• Did he say if it was ever finished? Or did money run out and they just put it back to stock? OR whats the story? I wanna see that thing fly down the road or track.

... you might be on to something... I just wonder if the "market" wasn't ready for this setup yet. Maybe later as more and more Slings are modified on a very high end, this could come back. Right now it could be "Priced out of this market" - no disrespect to Shawn at all but maybe the market is not ready for it YET.

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• Regardless of how much it would have costed it would not be a reason to tear it down after that much work was put into it unless it didn't work half as good as was expected(IMHO).

According to the pictures it was at the point where all that was left was finishing the piping and tune it.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Regardless of how much it would have costed it would not be a reason to tear it down after that much work was put into it unless it didn't work half as good as was expected(IMHO).

According to the pictures it was at the point where all that was left was finishing the piping and tune it.

Good point

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• It is possible the tune with a stock ECM was the issue
    Just a guess but I know that we ran into a lot of challenges when we first started breaking the 400hp marker.
    Biggest problem was fueling - If they were using an aftermarket ECM like Hatech they could have done anything they wanted.

Like I sad we are all just guessing

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• It is possible the tune with a stock ECM was the issue
    Just a guess but I know that we ran into a lot of challenges when we first started breaking the 400hp marker.
    Biggest problem was fueling - If they were using an aftermarket ECM like Hatech they could have done anything they wanted.

Like I sad we are all just guessing

It was my understanding that they were going with a custom ECM, the name was never given as it was part of the secret.

The whole build was intended to be a secret but pictures of it were leaked and they decided to take advantage of the "free" publicity, either way it is very weird to keep it under cloak and dagger if it ran well.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• ... you might be on to something... I just wonder if the "market" wasn't ready for this setup yet. Maybe later as more and more Slings are modified on a very high end, this could come back. Right now it could be "Priced out of this market" - no disrespect to Shawn at all but maybe the market is not ready for it YET.

Its all about traction.

The Sling with its single wheel in the back is severely traction limited, and while a setup like this might look amazing ( it does) anything over 300hp at the wheel becomes useless fast on the Sling.

Its hard to validate shelling out 8/9K on a twin turbo kit to hit crazy numbers when your rear wheel is constantly spinning.

Also to make any kind of power over 300hp, you need a forged engine, so add another 4k in the mix, the twin turbo will surely require a custom ecu to make use of solenoids for boost control, so add another 3/4k for the ecu and tune, and then the stock fuel system is not up to the task either, so another 1k for a fuel pump, rail, hoses, regulator etc.

So overall your looking into putting close to 20k into a drive train that will give only limited return vs a setup that will cost less than half the price (aka Alpha turbo on built engine on stock ecu / fuel pump), because in the end both will spin the wheel on demand, with little to show as far as performance is concerned.

Vi Engineered Turbo (V-Mount)
    Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    Assault Hub / Steering wheel
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    Cipher Race Seats and 4 point harness
    XO Luxury Verona 20x12 Toyo R888 315/35r20, 19x9.5 Toyo R888 265/35R19
    and more...

• Well let's not discount more than 300 hp just because there is one wheel. Think about all the vehicles that have over 600hp going to 2 wheels. Is it wasted? To some degree yes. But distorting your face from 50mph to 100mph is kinda fun. :)

I think the issue with rhis setup is the cost to get it right and only being able to sell a couple setups.

This will cost $20k. At that point why not put in a V8? With the current turbos at $4,500 it is easy to see why you wouldn't. But throw in forgings, a new transmission, tuning, it starts to get really expensive.

I think 300hp is the sweet spot for this chassis. However I am looking for 450 reliable hp. For no other reason than I am an idiot.

• @Tango Put me in the idiot club!
    My target is 425 to 450 - why - because I can...........

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• @Tango one wheel with good weight distribution would be much better grip. SS weight distribution is front heavy and that affects rear grip a lot.

And two wheels with a differential is effective at finding grip vs one wheel.

Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    and more...

• Honda anyone?

I don't want to cut grass. I want to :HAULSS::DONKEYSS:

All I know is how well mine is performing and the Honda option would have to be nearly magical to outperform it. I couldn't ask for a more behaved and refined 500hp. Its just like a stock slingshot when it comes to driveability and reliability. And at any RPM I have "shit tons" of torque and power. It always makes me smile when I mash the gas pedal. And it can break the rear tire loose at any time up to 100mph if I want it to.

NOW that isn't a bash against the Honda. I am genuinely curious as to how it will perform on the road. I will say this.... I love the way it sounds.... It does make me happy to hear that thing turn up the RPM.

I keep hearing about facebook post where it was told that the Honda had hit 145mph. I havent see a video of that yet but im sure it will be posted soon. Till then....

• I don't know how you can say that. There are thousands of stock slingshots out there running now. Where's YOURS? lol

Love ya bro, but Stickedick made me do it

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Can I say I disagree without sounding mean? For me the way i Look at higher HP over 300HP. You just need the proper Wheel tire set up with a 15" to 18" Max wheel size in rear so you can get taller sidewall for grip and wide as possible with a true sticky compound rubber. Then its all about Launch control with your feet. This does mean ordering custom wheels set. My wheel and tire set did cost about $4000.00. But that was important to me for the look and to work with higher HP set up. I know people with $8000.00 wheel sets. So...not to crazy in cost at 4k. :)

You don't have to floor it to use power. You can ease into it to take off. Then push more and more where others will top out.....that extra HP will keep going!!

But yes you are correct it is expensive to go into higher HP. Although with all the different set ups I have been seeing lately. I know a guy who about to put a stock Mercedes engine into a slightshot and that engine alone has 345 HP. WOW!! Can't wait to see that one hit the road. From what I hear all in he will be at about $7000 because he already has the engine. :)

Slingshot LIFE!!! #SlingshotHouston Find us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Youtube

• @QuickSilverSS

Well for sure with the right funds anything is possible, my reply was targeted as why we don't see more super high end kits like the twin turbo FF is making, and my answer is that its because of the quickly diminishing results of going crazy with uber high end stuff on the SS.

On a nornal car, you could play around with front / rear weight ratios, you could make a roll cage, stiffen up the frame, modified suspension geometry (not just shocks) to help put down all that power, so putting money on details to help with standing launch, better power modulation etc. is worth it.

On the SS we are stuck with a pretty lousy frame when it comes to performance. Center of gravity is high (from a high performance poibt of view), suspension geometry is pretty fixed on the front and rear is untouchable unless you spend some crazy moola, so besides getting better shocks, your options to help put power to the ground and cornering is fairly limited.

Thus the lack of interest for high end kits because in the end, for 90% of the people, the difference between a 20k drive train and a 8k drive train is 2% more "real life" performance.

Yes you can have a 600hp sling, but compared to a 300hp sling its not gonna be that much quicker. Both with burn the rear wheel up to 3rd gear so acceleration is going to be pretty close, and into 4th gear and 5th the wind resistance and shit aerodynamic of the SS will make it scary to push beyond a certain limit because its just not made for this.

In order to make a SS a real performance machine you have so much cash to throw into it that it makes no sense to go there unless you sre a fab company trying to show off your skills.

At some point your just better off buying a Xbow or a Ariel Atom vs modding a SS for 80k.

Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    and more...

• You are right about the high cost. I don't think I would want Xbow or a Ariel Atom. I could have easily bought one of those for what I have and putting into my slingshot. :) I just can't wait to actually get my slingshot back. It has been gone a ling time but by Monday night I should have some really good news.