Pros and Cons

• Anyone here ever been in a slingshot accident? Or any experiences involving or hearing of one

Yeah, I have been in one. Not normal driving conditions. About an inch of slush on the road in a blizzard. Going 55 on the freeway and the Sling started to rotate as if on a lazy susan. I went across 3 lanes, rotated 1.5 times and put the ass into the median wall. I was completely fine, the Sling was totalled. The whole frame was tweaked from the engines inertia and of course hitting the wall.

@MiM your kids are adorable, it would be hard to make one to sell when you make them so adorable. ;)

• @Skapoor

This is the basis of where people are coming from with the suggestion of buying the base model Slingshot. I'll give you my example based on the Canadian Values that were applied.

I bought the SL LE Black Pearl. It cost me $30000. The basic model costs $26000. After only 1 year, I am working with a fellow to get the entire Sling airbrushed for a cost of $2500, with a sealcoat for a cost of another $800. In total, that is $3300 in a custom paint job to make the sling the way I want it.

The SL LE is beautiful. No doubt. But now I want it customized, and if I had just gotten the base model at $26000 and added the paintjob, I would have saved myself $700. That in turn could have gone into anything else I felt like adding. PRP Seats, a sun shade of any make. Perhaps new shocks.

My point is, if you love a color, and you can't buy it outright, then buy the base model, and make it the one you want. It will be cheaper in the long run. At this point, there is nothing different between the SL, SL LE, or the SLR as far as performance goes. There are only cosmetic differences. (although that fat tire on the SLR could be argued as more rubber on the ground for traction)

So....

Step 1

Get the parents on board. Bring them on to these forums. Let Dad snoop in the NSFW link.

Step 2

Take them to the dealer.

Step 3

Get your Sling

• Damn sorry about that accident, hope you dont mind me asking but did you feel safe on impact in the sling compared to any other car

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

• Damn sorry about that accident, hope you dont mind me asking but did you feel safe on impact in the sling compared to any other car

This same scenario on a bike might very well have had a different outcome.

Remember to compare like vehicle to like vehicle. A bike would have dumped the rider either down the road or into the wall as well. The Sling did it's job and kept people safe inside it's basket. And don't confuse either of these outcomes to how a car would have fared.

Accidents happen though. And neither a bike or a Sling are your "safest vehicle". However, the Sling is by far safer than the Bike.

A defensive driving course is going to teach you a lot. You should be getting one with your EMT course, designed to teach you how to look at traffic differently. With that, coupled with your awareness of your size .... (you'll understand this the first time you are beside the tires of a semi, lol) ... you'll be just fine.

• About the only other safety mod I would think those have would have been 4 or 5 point racing harnesses. The roll hoops are already in place. Several of us have gone that route because they also help keep you in the seat a better when..... lets say... you're driving a little more aggressively than normal :rolleyes: . Either way, you'll fare much better on the sling than you would in a bike... but it's NOT a car!.

• Here you go!! This will cover all yours and your parents safety concerns:

:00007555:

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• @Skapoor I didn't feel anymore scared than when I dumped my bike or threw my truck into a wall. I tend to rationally relax and go with accidents once my brake, gas and steering inputs stop working.

There have been two Slingshot fatalities that I can remember. One was a roll over, the other was T-boned by a truck. Some have rolled over and walked away unscathed. When it comes to accidents, the situation tends to have more bareing on injury than the ride, in my experience. ;)

• Do you guys wear full face helmets? I was thinking about it but ive heard they're uncomfortable and distract from driving

Depends on the riding and situation. I tend to use half helmet on hotter days and only use the full for colder days. Sometimes I'm carrying both...just depends.

• I wear a 3/4 helmet all the time not so much for safety but I run all my music and phone functions thru the Bluetooth in the helmet. Speaking of safety I would bet that more people were injured in home accidents last year than slingshot accidents. I would take it a step further and say more people were hurt by slipping and falling in their shower but that don't stop me from taking a shower.

:GRAYSS: Its all about that base :HEADERSS::MOTOROILSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch, Welter duels