Tire symmetry or asymmetry? Yes... Another tire thread (or tread)...

• I currently have just over 31000 miles on my original front Kenda tires (Base model 205/50R17) and am on my fourth rear tire. I replaced my original Kenda with another Kenda of the same size (265/35R18) and got a little over 10000 miles from each tire. I then tried a Sumitomo HTR Z III 295/30R18 and only got about 5000 miles. I replaced the Sumitomo with a Nankang NS-20 275/35R18 and currently have around 4000+ miles on it and it still looks new. After my swing-arm recall is done, I plan on installing my Hahn turbo kit and am looking for a wheel that will hopefully allow me to try a Nitto 555 G2 313/35R17 which is dimensionally similar to the Base rear tire in terms of diamter and speedo accuracy. I tried an OE Wheels 17x10.5" Mustang wheel, but it only had about 1/16" clearance between the caliper and the wheel. I've currently got a query with Tirerack to see if their tech guys think a Hurst Dazzler 17x10.5" wheel will provide adequate clearance for the combined diameter of 339 mm +/- the Slingshot's 298 mm rotor and caliper require. Looking at brake rotors on older Mustangs, it appears the largest rotor used on the '94-'04 Mustangs was around 13" plus the caliper on the '98 Cobra.

• I would have to check but I think that is pretty close to the BFG's so it should work very well. I am getting a second set of stock base rims and thinking of trying the Nitto's.I just have had such great luck with the BFG's I hate to switch.

And I agree 100% with the old school thinking. best performance I have found so far. I wish I could run the 18's all around but that would make loading the SS in my trailer a chore with less than 1/2" on each side. With the sway bar and QA1's the front end is pretty stout and the 17's perform well. Wish I had added the front stiffener when it was available.

So I finally got around to ordering a new rear tire. Should have it installed tomorrow.
    The one on the left is a 285 35 18, the one on the right is a 305 30 20, and the in the middle is a 295 45 18. I am going to run the pressure around 20 to 25 and see if the extra sidewall will flex a bit and improve the grip. Ill keep you updated.
    Just for the record, I have been running the Sumitomo HRZ III for almost a year and love the grip. I felt more confident on them with 18s all around than the 20 inch Nitro G2.
    Thanks for the recommendation. @kenny_h.

• @Slingrazor will the 305 30 20 fit on the factory 20" rim? I will be getting a new tire soon and currently running a 275 30 20 just to be safe.

the 305 30 would give a taller sidewall for exactly what you are doing but not sure I want my speedo off that much. Thinking of 285 at the minimum for the next tire. Will happen before SSITS.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• @Slingrazor will the 305 30 20 fit on the factory 20" rim? I will be getting a new tire soon and currently running a 275 30 20 just to be safe.

the 305 30 would give a taller sidewall for exactly what you are doing but not sure I want my speedo off that much. Thinking of 285 at the minimum for the next tire. Will happen before SSITS.

The 305 30 20 is what they put on the SLR. Nitto'so Web site says you need a at least a 10.5 inch wide rim for that size.
    You can see the difference in sidewall using a 18 inch wheel.

• looks like I'm going to stretch my luck (see what I did there) and get a set of 295's. Anyone else running that size on a stock SL 20" rim?

Otherwise its just the 285 for me.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• I have the Base model. I'm currently running a 275/35R18 Nankang NS-20 on the factory 9.5" rear and ran a 295/30R18 Sumitomo HTR Z III before that. I had gotten a little over 10K on my first 2 Kenda 265/35R18 tires, but only got around 5000 miles on the Sumitomo. The Nankang has around 5K on it now and should be good at least another 5K miles.
    In my search for an affordable wider tire solution for use after I get my turbo installed (I'm waiting for my damned swing-arm to get replaced before I install my Hahn turbo setup), I bought an American Muscle 10th Anniversary Mustang Cobra 17 x 10.5" wheel and a Nitto 555 G2 315/35R17. The tire is pretty close to the diameter of the stock rear tire and handled fine while I had it on the rear for testing. The only drawback to this wheel/tire combo is that the wheel is a +28 mm offset so the wheel sits slightly off-center. The wheel was only $150 shipped from American Muscle. Got the Nitto from Discount Tire Direct.
    Depending on how the 555 G2 wears, I might try a Nitto Motivo UHP All Season tire next.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I have the Base model. I'm currently running a 275/35R18 Nankang NS-20 on the factory 9.5" rear and ran a 295/30R18 Sumitomo HTR Z III before that. I had gotten a little over 10K on my first 2 Kenda 265/35R18 tires, but only got around 5000 miles on the Sumitomo. The Nankang has around 5K on it now and should be good at least another 5K miles.
    In my search for an affordable wider tire solution for use after I get my turbo installed (I'm waiting for my damned swing-arm to get replaced before I install my Hahn turbo setup), I bought an American Muscle 10th Anniversary Mustang Cobra 17 x 10.5" wheel and a Nitto 555 G2 315/35R17. The tire is pretty close to the diameter of the stock rear tire and handled fine while I had it on the rear for testing. The only drawback to this wheel/tire combo is that the wheel is a +28 mm offset so the wheel sit slightly off-center. The wheel was only $150 shipped from American Muscle. Got the Nitto from Discount Tire Direct.
    Depending on how the 555 G2 wears, I might try a Nitto Motivo UHP All Season tire next.

Seems we are both trying to accomplish the same thing in getting more side wall for flex. I am putting out about 320 HP at this point I am looking for a lot more grip.

• A follow up to installing the NItto 555 G2 tires (295 45 18). It is a massitve tire on the back end of the sling, I am calling it my Fatty.
    Left the house this morning on the way to work this morning at 5:00, I didn't make it half a block and the ABS and Traction Control lights came on. Was worried this might happen so I planned on going to the dealership today. I learned quickly that with both lights on it was not a good idea to get into the boost without pointing straight down the road, even that was a little crazy. As would have it when I got to work one of my friends who I promised a ride took me up on it. Down a straight road I went with the throttle wide open. After getting the wheel up to temperature on a 40 degree morning it started hooking up.
    After getting off work I went by the dealer who re calibrated the ECU for the larger SL wheels. This was a gamble because the tire is over an inch taller than the 305 on the SLR. It worked, the lights went out and stayed out.
    Now it was time to get on it. At 25 tire pressure the tire hooks up really well and doesn't try to break free until about 9 psi of boost. I am able to control the 320 HP with very little spin. The bigger tire has also effectively changed the gearing to a higher gear which makes first and second more usable. I am glad I made the change.