Powder coating. Have to step up my game to keep up.

• Awesome. I was kind of wondering what you could do with the collected particles. I took @ericastar76 advise and had a Harbor Freight 20% off for one item and picked up the Soda can she recommended. Will give that a try without a booth outside to see how it goes and then will go from there. This is kind of a test to see. Will do my valve cover first (just lightly to rough it up a bit... it's a new cover and never touched oil) and then I'll try the wheel. Also have two metal fins I made for covers for where the side fenders used to be. If all that goes to plan, I have a long list of things that need to be done 8o maybe a kid or two, the dog, etc. I love to paint! LOL

I have never used soda or sand in my blaster. I always used glass beads of which you can buy indifferent size.

• I use glass too... but soda is pretty error proof for stripping paint and does a nice job for light smoothing (it’s really hard to damage the material if you lay on a spot too long) ~> unlike glass (which does have a nicer finish)... because you can easily toast a part if you’re not careful, I say stick with soda until you need something with a little more stripping power.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• I use glass too... but soda is pretty error proof for stripping paint and does a nice job for light smoothing (it’s really hard to damage the material if you lay on a spot too long) ~> unlike glass (which does have a nicer finish)... because you can easily toast a part if you’re not careful, I say stick with soda until you need something with a little more stripping power.

Will soda take off powdercoating? Any good tips on which media to use for stripping powdercoating from stainless steel?

Owner of Three's Da Life Fenders and Three's Da Life Apparel

Proud supporter of S.O.G. (Slingshot Owners Group) :thumbsup:

WWW.ROCKMYBLING.COM

Stripper Power!

Is that a new movement we are not yet aware of?

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

Never had any problems unless it was thin metal , then you had to be careful it would curl on you then you had to blast the other side to straighten out. I spent at least 16 hours a week average in the one I used, the cabinet was about 4 foot square. It was so large I had the brake line off of the rear housing (rear end housing) a 1968 Camero without bending it. The front valence of a 48 Ford in it and the grill for the Ford. If you are really going to use the blaster I would advise buying one of this size, not cheap but well worth it and buy a big enough compressor to blast full time without stopping for the compressor to catch up. (Again not cheap) I had two compressors on mine and once the pressure fell so low the second one kicked on so that you would not have to stop blasting.

• Awesome. I was kind of wondering what you could do with the collected particles. I took @ericastar76 advise and had a Harbor Freight 20% off for one item and picked up the Soda can she recommended. Will give that a try without a booth outside to see how it goes and then will go from there. This is kind of a test to see. Will do my valve cover first (just lightly to rough it up a bit... it's a new cover and never touched oil) and then I'll try the wheel. Also have two metal fins I made for covers for where the side fenders used to be. If all that goes to plan, I have a long list of things that need to be done 8o maybe a kid or two, the dog, etc. I love to paint! LOL

Looking forward to your results! I was looking into all of the stuff needed and your a few steps ahead :thumbup:

• Hey @FunCycle, @ericastar76... quick question. Was going to take off the stock rear shock mount as I want it a different color. Hadn't thought about it until the two of you brought it up, but how much metal will this process remove and will it weaken (bad thing) the mount for the rear shock? Should I use a chemical stripper on that? Thoughts?

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• Hey @FunCycle, @ericastar76... quick question. Was going to take off the stock rear shock mount as I want it a different color. Hadn't thought about it until the two of you brought it up, but how much metal will this process remove and will it weaken (bad thing) the mount for the rear shock? Should I use a chemical stripper on that? Thoughts?

The short answer is none, you would have to heat the metal up to do any damage

• @STYLN what method are you using to place your names and images on your cups during powder coating if you don't mind me asking? I like the subtle look of your cups. I can't recall the other forum member who does cups and I believe they use HTV but can't recall. Thanks.

• @STYLN what method are you using to place your names and images on your cups during powder coating if you don't mind me asking? I like the subtle look of your cups. I can't recall the other forum member who does cups and I believe they use HTV but can't recall. Thanks.

Its a tricky process buddy but I print my own decals on a printable vinyl and then adjust the curing times and temperatures to keep them from burning in the oven after applying the clear coat. If your really interested in the full process then give me a call and I can walk you through it. You can find my number on this forum in several places!! wink-squared

WWW.ROCKMYBLING.COM

• @STYLN from all the research I've read it definitely appears to be so. Thanks for extending the opportunity to call and get a more in-depth walk through. After I've messed up a few more pieces and had a few more successes I'll be giving you a call to hear your words of experience and wisdom on the subject. After seeing so many "burning the vinyl" and blowing the curing times--somehow seeing your cups just made it look pretty darn awesome...almost like the rest of us were missing something lol I was on your FB page in awe and woke my wife up to view a few of your tumblers as the work was so impressive. So, thanks again for extending the opportunity to call and responding with the information as requested.

• @STYLN from all the research I've read it definitely appears to be so. Thanks for extending the opportunity to call and get a more in-depth walk through. After I've messed up a few more pieces and had a few more successes I'll be giving you a call to hear your words of experience and wisdom on the subject. After seeing so many "burning the vinyl" and blowing the curing times--somehow seeing your cups just made it look pretty darn awesome...almost like the rest of us were missing something lol I was on your FB page in awe and woke my wife up to view a few of your tumblers as the work was so impressive. So, thanks again for extending the opportunity to call and responding with the information as requested.

You are most definitely welcome! I feel the more people doing it the better we can all learn from one another!

Can I ask what you are trying to do currently and what your set up is like? Ill post some pics of min just as soon as I start my "Swap-cation" from the ball and chain job!

WWW.ROCKMYBLING.COM

• @STYLN I'm trying to clean up and start over again with a better gun (HF setup) and oven up from the $20 Walmart ones I started practicing doing cups with on a whim on a weekend. Since I'm only doing personal projects and I have no aspirations, as of yet, to do it on a small business scale--everything is in stages and as the budget allows in between the million and one other hobbies. I can see how this can be addicting and how easy it can be a second stream of income, or primary of those as good as you, if I really tried. This is definitely one of those techniques that require one to pay attention to detail and have a great mentor or two. My intentions are to setup a nice size oven that can do wheels up to 20"s down to cups and brake calipers. I'm definitely looking at upgrading the PC gun. Since I like doing cups RTIC, Ozark..I'd definitely like to work with high temperature vinyl. Oh, I'm using the Cricut to cut my vinyl but want to work up to a better US setup. All I have to do now is find the time and funds to do it all! I'm wishing you all the success in being able to drop the ball and chain job, so that you can do what you love. Once you're doing what you love you'll never work a day in your life.

• @STYLN I'm trying to clean up and start over again with a better gun (HF setup) and oven up from the $20 Walmart ones I started practicing doing cups with on a whim on a weekend. Since I'm only doing personal projects and I have no aspirations, as of yet, to do it on a small business scale--everything is in stages and as the budget allows in between the million and one other hobbies. I can see how this can be addicting and how easy it can be a second stream of income, or primary of those as good as you, if I really tried. This is definitely one of those techniques that require one to pay attention to detail and have a great mentor or two. My intentions are to setup a nice size oven that can do wheels up to 20"s down to cups and brake calipers. I'm definitely looking at upgrading the PC gun. Since I like doing cups RTIC, Ozark..I'd definitely like to work with high temperature vinyl. Oh, I'm using the Cricut to cut my vinyl but want to work up to a better US setup. All I have to do now is find the time and funds to do it all! I'm wishing you all the success in being able to drop the ball and chain job, so that you can do what you love. Once you're doing what you love you'll never work a day in your life.

Thanks for the kind words buddy! It does take alot of practice and a few screw ups with some coice words to PC but once you get the hang of it, the imagination just goes wild! Ill be sure to post some things once they are done soon of some new creations!

As for using a cricut, those are GREAT started machines. Once you upgrade to more professional and then the industrial machines is when you have to be committed! One tip....when you are doing "vinyl pulls" for names and such be sure to use plumberry oracal 631....for some reason that color leaves VERY little residue on the cups!

More tips to follow! wink-squared

WWW.ROCKMYBLING.COM