LATEST RECALL INFO. YOU WILL RECEIVE A CUSTOM VERSION OF THIS LETTER SOON IF YOU ARE AFFECTED.

• Hmmmm, if they are there now, why are they not on original SA?.

I suspect that they have changed the way they feed the metal into the SA. I would guess that it wasn't fed in that area to begin with, and they have left part of the gating to strengthen an area that has failed before. As the aluminum cools, that area is the largest area, so it will stay liquid longest as the SA sets up. When the metal cools and solidifies, it shrinks and those "metal plates" as you called them stay liquid long enough to continue feeding into the shrinkage area.

Apologies if I offended anyone, it was not my intent. I'm here to learn, make friendships, and help where I can. This is one area I really know about. I'm senior tool designer for a prototype and low production run sand cast factory. I've been working at my current position here for 21 years, and at another place for 6 years before that. I was a manual machinist for 11 years prior to designing tools. It's what I've made my living by all my adult life... making and machining castings like the SA, transmission housings, transfer cases and covers and so on. (And yes, I'm old as $#!t 8o )

• I suspect that they have changed the way they feed the metal into the SA. I would guess that it wasn't fed in that area to begin with, and they have left part of the gating to strengthen an area that has failed before. As the aluminum cools, that area is the largest area, so it will stay liquid longest as the SA sets up. When the metal cools and solidifies, it shrinks and those "metal plates" as you called them stay liquid long enough to continue feeding into the shrinkage area.

Apologies if I offended anyone, it was not my intent. I'm here to learn, make friendships, and help where I can. This is one area I really know about. I'm senior tool designer for a prototype and low production run sand cast factory. I've been working at my current position here for 21 years, and at another place for 6 years before that. I was a manual machinist for 11 years prior to designing tools. It's what I've made my living by all my adult life... making and machining castings like the SA, transmission housings, transfer cases and covers and so on. (And yes, I'm old as $#!t 8o )

Thanks for the info and education Sir! In my eyes you aren't "OAS" you Sir are experienced!

• About grease zerk, yes, these are sealed bearings so no way to grease them. If they had zerk fittings a lot of people would over do it and they would be dirt collectors.

Joe,

From photos it looks as though on the new swing arm the pulley side bearing is still an open needle bearing, this is where owners are installing a zerk fitting. The wheel side bearing has always been a sealed unit and not a concern. It is the pulley side that fails. Can you provide a photo of the pulley side bearing to confirm, none of those you posted show that side of the swing arm specifically.

Thanks ......... grin-squared

Photo courtesy of xd675x

Shout out to @Goats_Hogs

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

Edited 2 times, last by Orangeman ().

• No offense taken here! We all have our area of expertise, I'm always open to learn new things, thank you for that information, makes perfect sense the way you describe the process. Now I'm a tad smarter, and more dangerous!! Lol

Why buy one when you can have two at twice the price..... :evil:

• Joe,
    From photos it looks as though on the new swing arm the pulley side bearing is still an open needle bearing, this is where owners are installing a zerk fitting. The wheel side bearing has always been a sealed unit and not a concern. It is the pulley side that fails. Can you provide a photo of the pulley side bearing to confirm, none of those you posted show that side of the swing arm specifically.

Thanks ......... grin-squared

I sure can this afternoon, I was at dealer last night where pictures were taken.... what I really want to do is set my old one next to another new one for a really good comparison.

• @MiM We could for sure. I've even considered designing a stronger/quieter angle drive...

Here are a couple of pictures to show the process a little. I can't really show you a good pic of a part with gating, as it would be a trademark/confidentiality issue for me. But this part you can't actually see the part, and the runner/gating is not under those same rules.

• So talking about being old......some young bucks challenged me for a game of pool. ( billiards) for you fancy folks......so I took aim cocked it back twice and hit the white ball solidly. The young buck looks at me and says " you guys always shoot that way"......You guys I thought to my self....did he just call me old?....... So I said "Son you can put your stick down cause you're not going to shoot all night long"...........and so It happened......."you guys" my ass!

• Well, that means I still carry spares in the SS when I leave town for play time.

You mean you change out the bearings on belt end if they go bad? Are they that prone to problems? I ask as I have 12k miles on mine, how often they go out?

• You mean you change out the bearings on belt end if they go bad? Are they that prone to problems? I ask as I have 12k miles on mine, how often they go out?

No, for a while there you could not count on a dealer having the bearings in stock and you lost a bearing while you were let us say out of town on vacation. For me I have 40,000 miles on my SS and drive like I stole it. I pulled the axle twice and greased the bearings in the first 35,000 miles, which is probably why I made it to 35,000 miles on the original set. Dealer replaced them at 35,000 miles, they were trash. My buddy had less than 10,000 miles (never greased) they were trash also when the dealer replaced. Now back to your original question. For a while there even Polaris did not or could not have the bearings in stock, so you did not know how long your SlingShot was was going to be down waiting on the bearings. I use and vacation with my SS every day. In my daily driver (car) I have only filled it up with gas 4 time since sometime in March 2016. If you have any other questions just let me know or someone else on the forum we will try to answer and explain.

• WOW!!!!! I had no idea that kind of issue happened! I understand thAt, I suspect my bearing might have been bad also by noise I could hear back there,they still working on mine but I'm going to call them right now and ask if mine really were bad...thank you for heads up!

• WOW!!!!! I had no idea that kind of issue happened! I understand thAt, I suspect my bearing might have been bad also by noise I could hear back there,they still working on mine but I'm going to call them right now and ask if mine really were bad...thank you for heads up!

Use the search function on the forum and I think there were at least 2 threads about the bearings

• update on bearing, mine were bad!
    It would not have been much longer my dealer told me and they would HAVE to have changed them! I thought I heard noises and movement back there! Dang!!!!!!!!

• And not to step on anyone's toes @BryanL, but to make any use of a zerk fitting you would need to change the bearing. Those are sealed from what I see in the pics.

No worries about my toes. I wear steel toed boots. ☺ The pics are showing the front bearings. I was referring to the needle bearing @Orangeman talked about. That particular bearing is designed to be greased. It has the groove and hole in the outer race, but for some reason Polaris has chosen to run it dry. Several have failed in less than 10,000 miles. A simple addition of a zerk would remedy most of the failures. The downside would be if someone added too much grease and it worked it's way over to other side of the axle and messed up the sensor.