How to make your hood "middle section" removable - by R-Shot Accessories

• Had a little snow last night. Gone by mid morning but the freak'n town put salt down. My riding season is done. I won't ride with salt on the road. That stuff will destroy the sling. Ordered my parts for the hood mod. :thumbsup: Getting her ready for the hood mod, then prepping for new paint. I'm airbrushing flames on the hood and thinking about putting them on the frame of the hood as well. So when the center hood is off, I can continue the look. Then carbon fiber wrap stuff happening. Using some gloss white and gloss black. Not a clue about doing any of it, but what the heck. I'll fake it, :D

Awesome ... if you need assistance I will PM you my phone number. Just let me know.

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• Thanks. Yes they are held in by black wire ties and very thin aluminum wire that matches the grill.

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,

Edited once, last by lrobbi ().

• How has this been holding up? Any updates?

Still going strong... I run with top off most of the time because it looks so different. A few corners of the Carbon Fiber wrap comes up because of the heat of the engine but for the most part all is functional.

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,

• I haven't started with my hood mod yet. :( Dealing with heart problems, doc thinks I had a minor heart attack. :rolleyes: OK, whatever,... I'm waiting for more parts to come in. I'm modifying the hood bands towards the windshield with quick clips instead. I attached a video of the parts I ordered. Hopefully mine will be a little cleaner when the hood is off then it shows in the video :D Again thanks @lrobbi for an awesome mod idea

• I haven't started with my hood mod yet. :( Dealing with heart problems, doc thinks I had a minor heart attack. :rolleyes: OK, whatever,... I'm waiting for more parts to come in. I'm modifying the hood bands towards the windshield with quick clips instead. I attached a video of the parts I ordered. Hopefully mine will be a little cleaner when the hood is off then it shows in the video :D Again thanks @lrobbi for an awesome mod idea

Very nice idea. That will make it clean looking.

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,

• You take care of yourself first and foremost @Shatneyman!!! You can't do all of those awesome mods if you ain't upright and breathing my friend!!!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• Hopefully mine will be a little cleaner when the hood is off then it shows in the video :D Again thanks @lrobbi for an awesome mod idea

When you start this, please film EVERYTHING ala @Painter panel removal videos... If you get that done, then I'll risk tackling this mod as well... Ain't doing nothing based on reading and pictures!

New phrase for high risk mods... "Video or it ain't happening!"

• @Shatneyman, after seeing @lrobbi's mod I looked into the use of the quik-latch system for it. You have already done a great job on putting the idea in motion. I will share my thoughts here as you move forward with your project. The mini-latch buckets will work very well towards the rear of the hood mounted directly to the hood sub-frame to eliminate the hood bands that @lrobbi used. Make certain that there is clearance below this location as the bucket, locking nut and pin will hang below the subframe.

This is no way taking anything away from @lrobbi's great and original mod. The front hood bands can also be eliminated and possibly the center latch by adding two Buttons at the front of the hood. There's a looks to be solid mounting points in this location without the use of mounting buckets but will require longer pins. The buttons can be painted to match the hood color to less noticeable. I think a removable hood section that is hardly noticeable would be awesome!

The only concern I have with this mod is the fact there's not much support for the hood skin and it may flex enough to crack the paint close to the mounting points. As a dealer, I do have holesaws available for cutting the hood skin that provides proper fit for the button. You want the best possible fit so the button does not move within the drilled hole or it will loosen and damage the paint. After several thousand miles I noticed the buttons had loosened a little anyway, so now my installs include putting a drop of loctite on the locking nut. By installing a shim washer on the bottom side would spread the support on the hood skin, I believe this will be a must with any installs such as this.

Good luck!

• Thanks for bringing this up @mniron - very happy you chimed in on this. You are correct the front can definitely use your technic and installation skills of the hood pins. One on the left and right...perfect spots and it would be rock solid up front keeping it to hold down very well at higher speeds. I like your idea on the rear section of the hood. Please by all means, keep the ideas flowing! This Mod has so much more potential as more chime in ... thanks brother! :thumbsup:

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,

• I'm hoping to start this project this week. I'm putting 2 push pins up toward the windshield, good clearance on both sides. The same latch in the center like @lrobbi did, I like that look, then, maybe 2 push pins on either side down low. I'll add pics as I go. Total of 5 holes going in the hood, plus cutting the hood. This is like McDonald's,...da da da da daaa,...I'm loven it :D

• You got this brother-your going to love the final outcome

@TheRock

:thumbsup:

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,