exhaust question

• May be a stupid question, but was told no question is a stupid question... :D There is no difference between exhausts for a standard vs turbo right? any exhaust works on or for either? See a seller and it says off a turbo?

I Have No more toys, just memories.... :/

• Jay, the difference in a turbo and non turbo exhaust is the way the pipes connect to the header and/or exhaust manifold. A non turbo system has pipes that mount to the stock factory exhaust manifold bolt pattern (and the headers are designed to have the same mounting flange pattern as the stock manifold does). A turbo on the other hand, has exhaust that exits the turbo housing usually in a rectangular flanged pattern as well as (most) having an external waste gate that also has exhaust that usually gets routed into the exhaust system. While both turbo and non-turbos could use the same muffler, they would not be interchangeable as they would needed to be routed and mount differently.

And NO, that's not a dumb question.

And before anyone asks, a normally aspirated exhaust system MAY also work on a supercharged engine. BUT let the vendor who's s/c you'd be using better direct you to their preferences since you do want to get as much burnt fuel out of the system as quickly as possible for the best performance (within reason)

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Hey @BONES

Just to expand a bit - in both cases the better an exhaust flows the more HP you can make, simply the more air you can put in and out the ore power you can get, doesn't matter what system you are running.

If you watch my build when they post dyno results, you will see they will most likely be much lower than the numbers @rabtech achieved, the biggest reason will be the difference in exhaust. I am running side exhaust with more restrictions that his racing exhaust. Other than that we are pretty much set up the same.

But there is a downside - the more open the exhaust the louder it is.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Also to add in here a stock exhaust manifold is a 3 bolt flange, the precision turbos are a 4 bolt flange , so to use a stock manifold you need an adapter plate from 3 to 4 bolt. your NA exhaust kits use a 3 bolt flange to connect to stock manifold. The best choice for a turbo is to use a custom header or a log style manifold with 4 bolt flange.

• Macaw, good info..No shame in my game learning.. I just wasn't familiar with exhaust turbo vs stock set up. Im good with HD knowledge though :D

• This is what the forum is really about!
    We all learn something from other - you taught me a few new drinks!

^^?( I did, man I barely drink.....I can give you this advice if you have an Aldi near you, they sell a energy drink called Red Thunder which is a Red Bull knock off, tastes the same. Cheaper and good w/ raspberry vodka.. That's really the only drink I know :thumbsup:

• ^^?( I did, man I barely drink.....I can give you this advice if you have an Aldi near you, they sell a energy drink called Red Thunder which is a Red Bull knock off, tastes the same. Cheaper and good w/ raspberry vodka.. That's really the only drink I know :thumbsup:

That's the one I remember reading - never heard of it before.
    Unfortunately for me Root Beer is the strongest thing I drink

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!