Hood latching

• I have a hard time getting my hood to latch on the passenger side. The drivers side closes like it should but I have to manually press on the hood to get the passenger side to latch correctly. I have had it into the dealer several times with this issue. After I get it back from the dealer it normally works for a few days and then it goes back to not working correctly. I really enjoy my SS but the support I have gotten from the dealership / service department is the worst part of owning a SS.
    I have a hard time keeping a straight face when I'm asked where I bought her from.

• This was happening to mine... Check the pads. @Tripod shaved my center pad with a razor and that allowed it to fully fall and latch. Just a thought...

Well, yours wasn't stock, it was a homemade special & was too thick.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• I'll take a look at the pads... At this point I'm open for any and all suggestions.
    I don't trust the service department where I bought her. There is another deal about an hour away I may have to give them a try.

I honestly don't understand the concern .... pressing on the latch points has always been part of the closing procedure ...

From your owners manual ....

Can you mess with the latches enough (or replace the brackets) so they latch on their own much of the time ..sure....but that is not what Polaris is expecting with their operation so I would cut the dealer a little slack on this one "issue"....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• I do this procedure each time I close the hood. Takes half a minute, and sure keeps my underoos skid mark free........learned first hand that the hood will lift surprisingly high at speeds over 50mph if the latches didn't get latched properly!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• I spent quite a bit of time adjusting all the latches so they all opened at the exact same time, did some minor alignment tweaks on the latch supports, and finally gave up trying to get the hood to open and close perfectly 100% of the time. I gave up when I noticed that the hood acted differently depending on how hot or cold it was, whether it sat in the sun for an extended period vs sitting in the shade or garage.....and it also acted different depending on how long the hood was raised. So that big-assed hood acts differently due to simple expansion and contraction. I can live with the quirks though....I love the looks of that big-assed hood.....I'm just a glutton for punishment I guess!!!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• I removed the useless center support because it doesn't support anything. The new polaris hood bumpers do well leveling and supporting the hood....... Now my dear brothers this worked extremely well for me and it can possibly again I say possibly work for you. You wanted options I gave you mine.

• I spent quite a bit of time adjusting all the latches so they all opened at the exact same time, did some minor alignment tweaks on the latch supports, and finally gave up trying to get the hood to open and close perfectly 100% of the time. I gave up when I noticed that the hood acted differently depending on how hot or cold it was, whether it sat in the sun for an extended period vs sitting in the shade or garage.....and it also acted different depending on how long the hood was raised. So that big-assed hood acts differently due to simple expansion and contraction. I can live with the quirks though....I love the looks of that big-assed hood.....I'm just a glutton for punishment I guess!!!!!

I agree with you 100%.

• I removed the useless center support because it doesn't support anything. The new polaris hood bumpers do well leveling and supporting the hood....... Now my dear brothers this worked extremely well for me and it can possibly again I say possibly work for you. You wanted options I gave you mine.

It keeps a screw from hitting the valve cover. I lost my center piece not noticing. All of the sudden I had scrape marks on my valve cover...

I do recommend checking.

• It keeps a screw from hitting the valve cover. I lost my center piece not noticing. All of the sudden I had scrape marks on my valve cover...

I do recommend checking.

You are correct if the center pad is not functioning as should the hood screw will scratch the cover. It happened to me having the center pad. Dealer replaced cover under warranty and removed center pad due to the new bumper system. But you are right I was I shock when I saw that scratch!!!!!!!

• It's also important to always leave the hood in the closed position when you don't need to be under there. Mine tends to "sag" when left open making it more difficult to get all the latches to fully latch.

#02828 January 2015 build date.
    Here to assist anyone in the Denver area.

• A little trick @Turbosling does in the shop...with the hood closed and latched properly loosen the four bolts holding the hood hinge brackets. These are attached horizontally to the frame on either side of the lower pivot tube. Then re-tighten. Sometimes this helps realign the hood and it might close better. I do agree with the other post that my own hood acts differently depending on the situation (inside, outside, hot, cold). :thumbup:

2JZ Swap - 400+ WHP - Custom Hood - PRP Seats - Cerwin Vega Stereo - AccuAir - Foose Wheels - Hankook Tires - LiteTheNite LED's

• A little trick @Turbosling does in the shop...with the hood closed and latched properly loosen the four bolts holding the hood hinge brackets. These are attached horizontally to the frame on either side of the lower pivot tube. Then re-tighten. Sometimes this helps realign the hood and it might close better. I do agree with the other post that my own hood acts differently depending on the situation (inside, outside, hot, cold). :thumbup:

I will give that a shot too.

I spent about an hour tonight aligning everything. The Alpha adjustable brackets are a Godsend.

These hoods are picky that's for sure. Everything has to be just right. Patience, patience and more patience when aligning everything.

Don't bring a squirt gun to a garden hose fight. :thumbup: