WindRestrictor

• Here is one I made a few years ago. If you want it, even just as a template, hit me up in PM. It was a proof of concept, so it's thinner with stronger, more visible supports. Quick release, pull four pins and remove. It seemed to amplify cross winds on the freeway. That is why it stayed a "concept" for me.

Nice work..On convertibles the rear wind restrictors really help. Frontal air blockage (mainly windshields), cause a low pressure area in the cockpit which causes high pressure air to rush in from behind. The lit, etched ones are beautiful but are correspondingly expensive. A plain jane cut piece of 1/4" plexi with an inexpensive price would probably be a popular item.

• as they are about 43 by 11, a full sheet of 1/4 Plexiglas will produce 8, if you cut carefully. In my neck of the woods, a full sheet runs $186.00, so about 23.25 per plus cost of mounting parts. I used 1 inch steel plate and 2.5 inch bolts, about 5.00 in total. Not counting labor, under $30.

• Thanks @Flybuddy , I have no intention of making more or selling any. I was just offering up the one I made as I don't use it. I was trying to give, not sell. ;)

Thx, I was thinking more like one of the large modders picking up the idea. You got me thinking though and I just cut out a template to cover the large hole in the rear middle. Having a roof gave me something else to attach to. I may pick up a piece of plexi to cut from the template.

• I haven't been in this thread for awhile. @Bigdog, I'm concerned with using Plexiglass for this. It's brittle, and cracks easily. With the 3/8", it might be stout enough. I make my own motorcycle windshields out of tinted Polypropylene. I use 1/8" on them, but can go down even smaller. Polypropylene can be folded over flat against itself without breaking. it also is hard by nature, doesn't chip easily. Just a thought if the Plexiglass doesn't work out for you.

• Do you know what the people making the lighted ones use? I plan on bolting through it on each side of the bars behind your head... Both sides meaning right side left side on each one, so having 4 bolt through attachments with backing plates.

• I'm not sure what they use for them. Perhaps when plexiglass gets thick enough, the brittleness isn't an issue. I used some to make inside storm windows for the basement window wells, and I used 3/16" thick. I had a fine blade for my jigsaw, and it cracked the plexiglass 50% of the time. Wish I could be more help on this, but I was only concerned. I think the lite up ones with designs in them like the flames look really nice though.

• From my limited research heat and vibration are the biggest factors in working with plexy. They say go slow to prevent heating. I bought special plexy saw blades and drill bits...the piece should also be clamped down tight. It will be an experiment in terror.. It cost almost as much to ship as it cost. So we'll see what happens...

• Well the plexiglass is cut to fit.... Need to finish the edges, drill the mounting holes and make the mounting plates and make the lights....had a few tiny edge chips that will be sanded away.... The plexiglass blades worked really well...

Now I know why they are sized the way they are...making them 12" high they can get eight deflectors from a 4 X 8 sheet....

• I looked at a bunch of sites and pictures...and there isn't any that show the edge close enough to see the type of edge finish...I don't know if the way they finished the edge is critical to having it glow like they do..that's why I really need to know what they did....

I would also like to know if there is a piece of rubber between the metal plates that the bolts go through and the plexiglass....

• One more question about the edge finish. Is it squared/flat or rounded?

I looked at a bunch of sites and pictures...and there isn't any that show the edge close enough to see the type of edge finish...I don't know if the way they finished the edge is critical to having it glow like they do..that's why I really need to know what they did....

Let's tag @DKF Texas, she has one & can let you know...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014