Has anyone played around with this for paint?

• Just curious.

Has anyone played with the products from DipYourCar.com ?

It sort of seems like something that could ideally fit with a Slingshot. With a bit of effort you can simply peal your existing paint and get into a whole new look.

It seems simple enough, I was just curious if anyone had any actual experience with it, and how it worked for them.

• It's wonderful. How would you like to buy the professional spray gun setup from me. I will hook you up with everything you need to do a professional job!!!

Just don't be pissed at me when it peels off on all parts that you touch. Lol. It does look good. But even with 7 coats it will peel and when it does it looks really bad.

• I've done several vehicles in the past. IF you really take your time and use quality products, it can look great. There are pearl additives, metal flake, gloss topcoats etc.
    The options are endless.
    Always use a quality spray gun.
    If you are adding any flake or pearl, ALWAYS put down a good basecoat first! Otherwise the flake might stick to your factory paint. That's not good.
    There are plenty of good how to videos online. Do your research.
    Halo EFX is, in my opinion, the best finish. But there are several good companies. Personally, I don't like Raail products. very hard to work with.
    Try this site for product. They carry quality stuff. Liquid Wrap Depot - Plasti Dip, Halo EFX, Raail Performance Coatings

• I would lay it on in this order:
    1. Primer coats, Like the Halo EFX Covert Black or the Primer grey
    2. Basecoats (this is where you add any Pearl. Tints or flake) KP Pigments has good stuff)
    3 Topcoat. Such as Halo's Real Clear.

• Its just 6 to 7 coats of lite blue.

Before the dip was applied every square inch was cleaned with DYC pre-cleaner

I had rather just spray real paint.... Its actually faster and easier for me to spray real paint... I only change my colors every 2 or 3 years if I keep a bike that long...

That site you mentioned does look like the place to get some great effects

• A base primer coat definitely helps with adhesion.
    What I like, is the OEM paint protection and being able to change it when ever you want. It is definitely more labor intensive than regular paint, but reversible and easy to touch up.
    Some of the pearl dips look incredible.
    Touching up a pearl metallic paint job is pricey.

Here is an example of Pearl dip with gloss topcoat.

• Final thoughts.
    If you know for sure what color you want and want to stick with that color, definitely do regular paint.
    If you aren't sure, dip might be for you.
    Do your research. Either way, if you don't feel comfortable, get a professional to do it!

• I used the rustoleum peel coat on the grill of my Lincoln MKS. It hasn't peeled yet and I've even run through the car wash. It was a chrome grill and I used the titanium metallic.

I'm going to venture one of these days with it on the Sling. Going to try the matte black, lime green, and accents of the titanium.

• Meh, I wouldn't recommend it. I too have the pro paint kit and it won't be used again. I also used 7 coats like Rab and it will peel in places you touch, rub.

The biggest problem to me is that you can't sand it. Think about that for a moment... any little mistake and you have to do the whole thing over again and the paint ain't cheap. To do it properly it would take about 50 cans of spray or buy the spray kit which is around $300 new. At $55 per gallon, you will need 4 gallons to do the colored parts of the sling. Mess the tail up and that will cost ya.

Also, be careful if you paint where screws go through the body. I had a screw snag some of the dip that was in the hole and it ripped up the dip around the hole - the hole was 1/4" but it pulled up about the size of a quarter when the screw snagged it. Had to repaint the entire tail. That cost me.

I'm going with real paint now. Just pulled all the dip off today - at least that was easy!

Plastidip is good for wheels but it just has too many drawbacks to paint a whole car in my opinion.

• Like I said , I will sell you this sprayer and the bottle of cleaner I had left over and the bottle of spray that you put on after you paint it..
    I will have to go get the box out of storage and see what else I bought...

Here are some pictures of how the letters peeled perfectly.

I just have to be honest and say that even with the spray top coat I cant see how it would ever last on parts like the console and dash... The wings where you get in were awful also. You cant get out without touching them...

• At this time, I am not looking at making a purchase, I was more inquiring about the product itself.

That said, so if I understand you correctly, if you touch the new paint job at all, it will peel? How the hell does that work then with every kid and hot chick wanting to touch it? Easy to yell at the kid, but who am I to say no to a pretty lady? lol

So I take it that this is due to the oils and such transferring from the skin? Or does this occur even if you had gloves on?

• The sharp curves on the sling can't help. That's a lot different than the vehicles I've done this on. Sharp edges tend to peel due to it being thinner in those areas when it goes on. Not like doing the south side of a car or truck.
    Definitely do with Rabs advise on spraying a sling. He's done it. Like I said, I've done cars and trucks. Haven't sprayed a sling yet.