Need some advice on a gift for my wife.

• I'm looking to get a fun little zipper for my wife. Many of you have met her in person. I'm looking at either an electric motorcycle or a Vespa. Neither of these require any shifting and they're both comfortable to ride. Do any of you have experience with a Vespa 150 vs a 300?

• I bought my wife a Piaggio Fly 50 a number of years ago. My goal was to introduce her to "Riding Life" . It was a novelty and it wore off with her.

Now my Daughter has fallen in love with it and has a serious Jones for all things Harley. Well.....it worked for one person in my house, lol.

As for the 150 vs the 300, I can say this... The 300 is only a little bit more $$$, and while, yes, the 150 can go Highway speeds, the 300 can do it easier with less stress on the motor. Both require a Bike license anyway, so bang for your buck, lean towards the 300.

I just helped a friend price compare and test out the Honda Forza 300. And absolutely sweet ride that is very comfortable. Plus, no issues what so ever with keeping up with the Highway traffic and could easily join you on the road with the Slingshot. Ridiculously cheap on fuel too.

• I haven't ridden either, I know that the Vespa 300 is a tad bigger than the 150, but still retains that hyper classic Vespa look. Maybe I'll just need to test drive both and make a decision. She's 95 pounds, so I doubt the 150 would have much trouble jumping from place to place. The last thing I want to do is buy her too much bike to begin with.

• I'm looking to get a fun little zipper for my wife. Many of you have met her in person. I'm looking at either an electric motorcycle or a Vespa. Neither of these require any shifting and they're both comfortable to ride. Do any of you have experience with a Vespa 150 vs a 300?

Mr. Roberts, I do not have any experience with a Vespa. But I can offer some experience from a close friend of mine. He wanted his girl friend to be able to ride with him but she had no real experience with shifting and leaning while turning, how to brake properly, etc. He got her a CanAM, automatic shifting, self leveling, good braking and cornering, etc.
    He said she is pretty happy with it and confident while driving it.
    Just something to consider.
    Have a good one :thumbup:

• Mr. Roberts, I do not have any experience with a Vespa. But I can offer some experience from a close friend of mine. He wanted his girl friend to be able to ride with him but she had no real experience with shifting and leaning while turning, how to brake properly, etc. He got her a CanAM, automatic shifting, self leveling, good braking and cornering, etc.
    He said she is pretty happy with it and confident while driving it.
    Just something to consider.
    Have a good one :thumbup:

A spyder may be a consideration down the road. Those are very cheap used around here.

• We leaned towards the Honda vs the Vespa due to the 'styling'. The Honda looks like a bike while the Vespa has the traditional Italian Scooter look to it. Plus, the seat on the Honda definitely leans towards comfort if there is any distance required in their commute.

• Well...that is something to consider then since she will need her endorsement for anything over 50cc and capable of over 35mph....

dmv264.pdf

Can she take the riding test on a scooter in VA .... and typically the test is harder to pass on a scooter since they are real easy to dump in low speed tight turns ...

In FL you are required to take the safety course so no scooter for the test and you must be able to shift....

Might want to take a weekend trip to a coastal town where you can rent a couple 50cc scooters and zip a round for a day before shucking out money for a larger scooter with difficult resale potential .....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Very good points.

• Does she want a scooter exactly? Would she want to learn to shift gears and ride a regular bike down the road? One suggestion if she does want a regular bike later on might be to start on a Honda Grom, or the Kawasaki Z125 pro. Both are relatively scooter sized motorcycles with 125cc motors. Both will run in the neighborhood of 60mph. These are very easy to ride and operate.

Stephen.

• Does she want a scooter exactly? Would she want to learn to shift gears and ride a regular bike down the road? One suggestion if she does want a regular bike later on might be to start on a Honda Grom, or the Kawasaki Z125 pro. Both are relatively scooter sized motorcycles with 125cc motors. Both will run in the neighborhood of 60mph. These are very easy to ride and operate.

Stephen.

Probably down the road. She's pretty sold on the idea of a peppy scooter at present.

• Not sure what your preferred price range is, but the Piaggio MP3 series offers a little more stability for beginning or older riders and the extra front wheel also helps on rough or sandy/rocky roads.

Ohhh, I totally forgot that unit. Plus the wheels lock when dismounting, so it won't tip. A great machine and very unique. The Slingshot of the scooter world if you will, lol

• I spent a couple of years working with Italian engineers on a project. I wouldn't but anything made by Italians. style will be awesome but Quality suffers. their "beat it to fit then paint it to match" process sucks. Ferraris are beautiful But your not going to find one that has 100,000 trouble free miles on it. Fiats are cheap for a reason. Buy the Honda