New member, potential Slingshot owner

• Hello all. Joined the forum today and have been pouring over threads. I’ve decided to sell my beloved Indian Chieftain and paln to get a new Slingshot. I’m at the age where it’s getting a little heavy for me and my wife has already stopped riding altogether. She likes the idea of an SS so I’ve been reading and watching YouTube videos for days now. The struggle I’m having is which trim to get and do I want a 2023 or a 2024? I have the same Ride Command on my Chieftain and it’s not all that great. I do love high tech and CarPlay. I noticed on the Polaris website, the description of the “R” model says CarPlay but the SLR does not. I do want CarPlay. Thinking maybe I get an SL and put a touchscreen system in it. Is there any reason I would want an SLR vs the SL, or even S? I know the wheels are bigger and more HP but can’t you get a tune for that? Also, I will probably opt for the manual vs the Auto but we’ll see on that one. I would appreciate any advice you all have.

• Welcome to the show rancej. I have a 2016 and won't be any help sorting the new models, but I can tell you that any Slingshot is better than no Slingshot. If you think you want the manual then get the manual. The auto just won't have the same level of engagement. If you're prone to modding it might make sense to start with a base model and add the stuff you want. Pick your color and hit the road!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Hello all. Joined the forum today and have been pouring over threads. I’ve decided to sell my beloved Indian Chieftain and paln to get a new Slingshot. I’m at the age where it’s getting a little heavy for me and my wife has already stopped riding altogether. She likes the idea of an SS so I’ve been reading and watching YouTube videos for days now. The struggle I’m having is which trim to get and do I want a 2023 or a 2024? I have the same Ride Command on my Chieftain and it’s not all that great. I do love high tech and CarPlay. I noticed on the Polaris website, the description of the “R” model says CarPlay but the SLR does not. I do want CarPlay. Thinking maybe I get an SL and put a touchscreen system in it. Is there any reason I would want an SLR vs the SL, or even S? I know the wheels are bigger and more HP but can’t you get a tune for that? Also, I will probably opt for the manual vs the Auto but we’ll see on that one. I would appreciate any advice you all have.

I am sure you have done the comparison on the Polaris site... A few things that are different between the S, SL, and SLR.. first and foremost is HP.. SLR has 203. HP and 144 ft-lbs torque, the other two models have 178 HP and 120 ft-lbs torque. (there is a flash they can do to upgrade the lower hp models to the 203 hp, but that is either 300 or 600 bucks, can't remember). I believe you can upgrade the ride command unit to allow ACP and connected services.. You are familiar with these since you have the Indian. There are cosmetic differences also, and color choices are limited to specific models one thing I liked was the wider rear tire on the SLR and R models.. Most everything that one can get on an R model is available through upgrades (cash) on the lower models.. Also, If you decide on the Shift Assist Transmission it has a "Slingshot" mode that changed the shifting to a more aggressive pattern compared to "comfort" mode. If one chooses the Shift Assist and Paddles there is an additional button labeled "M" with puts the Slingshot into Manual mode and requires the driver to shift via the paddle's. The exception in this mode is that if one doesn't downshift when coming to a stop, it will still automatically shift to first gear when stopping.

If you really want ACP, knowing the limitations on the Slingshot, it needs a Bluetooth adapter just to work (headset or other bluetooth type device that tricks it into thinking a headset is connected). Without the headset you can use ACP but cannot answer calls, or reply to texts. Are you going to wear a helmet? If so a headset in the helmet will be fine., If not, I used these and they worked great for music and just talking to the passenger (your wife) as the Slingshot does make a good bunch of noise. Amazon.com: Sena Expand Mesh Multi-Sport Mesh Intercom Communication Headset for Hiking, Rock Climbing, Fishing, Hunting and More, Black : Electronics

And as all will tell you here... be very careful in the rain... the Slingshot has a tendency to hydroplane easily. Hope this helps... I had the 2020 R model and before that a 2019 SLR.

Compare 2024 Slingshot SLR (polaris.com)

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• Welcome to the show rancej. I have a 2016 and won't be any help sorting the new models, but I can tell you that any Slingshot is better than no Slingshot. If you think you want the manual then get the manual. The auto just won't have the same level of engagement. If you're prone to modding it might make sense to start with a base model and add the stuff you want. Pick your color and hit the road!

If one chooses the Base model, you are limited to Moonlight White.. no other color choices. For 2024 the R model has the most color choices.

• Just to summarize what everyone is saying, there are really only 2 differences between the Slingshots:

• 2015-2019 used the GM 2.4L Ecotec Engine and a manual Transmission; 2020+ use the Polaris engine and have an option for a "hydraulically controlled manual" (i.e. sort of an automatic) or full manual.
    • Base model to top of the line model is just what accessories the factory adds. Even the HP adder for the 2020+ can be added later. Decide what accessories you want from the factory and/or what you are willing to add/change/remove later to decide if you want the top of the line or want to build it yourself. I built mine myself (in my avatar) from a stripped base model.

And either way, you'll LOVE the SS. Most of us here are also ex-motorcycle riders. Heck, some even still have the 2-wheelers.

• Really good info and exactly what I needed to hear. My Indian is the same on the CarPlay and I have the bluetooth device that tricks it into thinking I have a headset. This is why I think I'd be happier with a base model and my own head unit so I don't have to jump through so many hoops. Thanks!!

• Just to summarize what everyone is saying, there are really only 2 differences between the Slingshots:

• 2015-2019 used the GM 2.4L Ecotec Engine and a manual Transmission; 2020+ use the Polaris engine and have an option for a "hydraulically controlled manual" (i.e. sort of an automatic) or full manual.
    • Base model to top of the line model is just what accessories the factory adds. Even the HP adder for the 2020+ can be added later. Decide what accessories you want from the factory and/or what you are willing to add/change/remove later to decide if you want the top of the line or want to build it yourself. I built mine myself (in my avatar) from a stripped base model.

And either way, you'll LOVE the SS. Most of us here are also ex-motorcycle riders. Heck, some even still have the 2-wheelers.

Thanks and yours looks great!

• One of the advantages of getting one with a system is that it will display the error codes. Handy and helpful to have.

I believe it still shows the codes with the dash display and the mode button, but it is a bit more cumbersome than looking at the Ride Command screen.