My Slingshot just died

• Pretty simple, if the coolant tank was never low/empty, then you’re not leaking antifreeze into the engine.

something is has to be going on, heads dont just warp for no reason

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• something is has to be going on, heads dont just warp for no reason

I don’t actually believe the head is warped. there is no proof of this. That was just a diagnosis from a mechanic. And seems like every other diagnosis so far has been wrong. They’re just pulling out straws. This thing should not take that much time to troubleshoot. Head gasket, leak or problem, coolant in the oil, low coolant, or no coolant in the tank. if the tank is full, it’s not leaking coolant at all. Milky white consistency and oil means coolant and oil. That doesn’t seem to be the case, so I highly doubt with a full coolant tank and no discoloration in the oil that it’s a coolant leak. I’m not a mechanic, but I know my way around vehicles enough No overheating, also another indication that coolant is not leaking and thermostat is fine.

Definitely a compression test should be done.
    this is all pretty basic stuff that should have been checked by any good mechanic before it got to this point.

• I cant see rods just letting loose at 9000 miles....if so it definitely is some type of motor defect.....maybe contact the powers to be at Polaris and explain what's going on.....maybe they will do something....the worst they can say is no.

• Just a FREE suggestion. Any major auto parts chain store usually has a small free tool loaner program. See if one near you has a cooling system pressure tester. It comes in as a kit with a hose connected to a hand pump with the other end that attaches to the radiator (or tank depending on the type of vehicle). It comes with several adapters and one of them should fit the Slingshot tank. Pump the pressure up to (I think 18 psi - you might want to verify what the pressure rating on the factory cap is) and see if it holds pressure. If not, then you DO have a coolant system leak SOMEWHERE. If so, then remove the oil filler cap and listen carefully to see if you can hear air leaking inside the engine. But from what you're saying about the lower end knocking, it does appear to be fatal. JMHO Polaris is nuts telling you that a new engine installed is over $10,000 when you can find a used one all over the country for $2500 or less and somewhere around $1,000 labor plus misc small parts. But if you plan to keep this for several years and can accept the wait time, going with a fresh one from DDM is the most cost effective way to go.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• .....man to hell with all these test , give it to Dave@DDMWorks ...and let him do what he do....maybe you need it replaced maybe you don't but I wouldn't want to many people touching it that knows jack shyt about this vehicle......IJS IMO

I have to agree, get Sling on a trailer and get it over to Dave!!!!!

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I was going to post a video so you could hear how bad it sounds but I didn't have my phone ready (forgot to hit the record button) and it wouldn't start after that. Either the engine is locked up or the battery is too low to turn it over now. I think the battery is to low.

• So in 1986, Terry and I bought a brand new Plymouth Voyager. Great concept for a young family. Two kids at the time with the 3rd on the way...............

(I couldn't keep my hands off her!)

The thing was a mechanical shit box.

I dumped more money into that thing than I had over the years. Thing damn near broke us.

Anyway, one day I'm coaching my daughter's soccer game, and Terry shows up late running around the field towards me. She throws the keys at me and tells me she can't shut the thing off.

Said it backfired and started oozing black smoke from under the hood.

So I tell my assistant I gotta go!

I get to the parking lot and approach this eerie sounding vehicle. Was idling like a Harley and making loud metal clanking noises.

I can't shut it off!!

Black smoke pouring out from underneath.

Terry is freakin' out!

I walk around the thing not knowing what to do.

I get to the back and hear a hissing sound........

It was coming from the exhaust pipe!

I kneel down and listen, the thing is making a sucking sound...........

So I immediately unzipped my fly and..........

No, not really!! LOL!!

I put my hand over the pipe to stop the air from going in, and then the motor stopped.......

The thing was running backwards!!

(Any chance Scanny's motor jumped time?)

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)
    :00007555:

• I charged the battery this afternoon and when the charger showed the battery at 100%, I tried to get it to start. The engine wouldn't turn so I'm guessing it's locked up. I found a used 2017 engine with 6800 miles on it on eBay and bought it. Now all I have to do is find someone to swap them out for a reasonable price. The asking price was $2699.95, I offered $2500 and they took it. The valve cover is cracked but mine will replace it.

• I guess at some point we all go through a chasing your tail moments at something in life..

I know I have in designing parts and in the end take a break and go back later and sometimes

the answer is right there...

But todays technology to us older guys is overwhelming ....

In my time it was points/condenser, A Coil, spark plugs or wires..

Everything was cast iron and very little warping ..LOL

And just like going to a Dr do you really trust the first Drs findings..Hell NO..

We will get to the bottom of this issue at some point..