Hood popped up. FOUR TIMES!!!

• Ever since I installed my Metricks hood assist spring kit I do pay a little more attention to making sure everything latches - probably because I find I open much more often now that its so much easier

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I have come to the conclusion that the latch lever was not coming clear up after closing the hood. After numerous opening and closings in the garage, I noticed that after closing the hood, I could reach down and pull the release lever UP just a bit, leaving the latches prone to open under the air pressure of meeting a semi in a strong cross wind.

Haven't had a chance to "road test" it, but I have high hopes of having solved it. Of course, should the hood go sailing over my head someday, I'll be stuck with the thought that, "Well, I guess that theory is shot to hell."

• I have come to the conclusion that the latch lever was not coming clear up after closing the hood. After numerous opening and closings in the garage, I noticed that after closing the hood, I could reach down and pull the release lever UP just a bit, leaving the latches prone to open under the air pressure of meeting a semi in a strong cross wind.

Haven't had a chance to "road test" it, but I have high hopes of having solved it. Of course, should the hood go sailing over my head someday, I'll be stuck with the thought that, "Well, I guess that theory is shot to hell."

fortunately, the way the slingshot hood closes I would think that the wind at high speed would want to help keep an unlatched hood closed unlike a conventional cars hood.

Heck I remember shortly after getting my Slingshot driving around and the hood was moving and flapping by large amounts when I got home I realized I had been driving for weeks and even on the freeway with the hood completely unlatched - fortunately the hood never actually opened, but like I said I think the wind actually helps hold it closed. - - This event was what started me paying more attention when closing the hood and checking all of the latches and it also the event that got me to notice that the factory hood pads were missing which is why I ordered the sling mods pads

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

I, too, have noticed that the rear hood latches sometimes aren't fully open after lifting the hood. My solution was to install some hood springs (I think I bought them at a local auto parts store, but don't remember any specifics) to cause the hood to pop up enough that it can't push back down on the latch once I've released the latches. IIRC, I also shortened the springs so they wouldn't lift as high, just enough to make sure the posts on the hood wouldn't touch the latches once the latches were released.

Here's a pic -

I, too, thought the front-hinged hood design would result in air pressure keeping the hood down if the latches released, but I can state from personal experience that my hood started lifting up after the hood popped while I was doing around 60 mph. Definitely an Oh Crap moment!

• Finally got a chance to take it out on a WINDY day. Met two semis in a crosswind. Hood didn't move a bit.

SO . . . until it goes flying off on its own, I'm going to think that my problem was that the latch didn't fully close. I had it up before the ride, to replace the clutch fluid (the old stuff was a nasty dark brown), and made sure that I pulled UP on the latch after closing the hood.