Unusable fuel?

• This is just a matter of curiosity after a recent experience. To start, I typically like to work off the top half of my fuel tank, but every once in a while I'll slip a bit and let the level drop where I got into a situation yesterday when my fuel light came on about half way to work, (30 miles each way.) OOPS! Any ways, I got brave and daring and sweated coming back into town with the fuel light on and gauge flashing, (maybe 35 miles.) I went to fuel it today and to my surprise it only took 8.2 gallons, which meant that I logically had 1.6 gallons remaining, or approximately another 45 miles. Now the question is, will the SlingShot actually pull the full 9.8 gallons from the fuel tank? Obviously after 7 years of not knowing myself I don't plan on banking on it, but just curious?

Bill

• This is just a matter of curiosity after a recent experience. To start, I typically like to work off the top half of my fuel tank, but every once in a while I'll slip a bit and let the level drop where I got into a situation yesterday when my fuel light came on about half way to work, (30 miles each way.) OOPS! Any ways, I got brave and daring and sweated coming back into town with the fuel light on and gauge flashing, (maybe 35 miles.) I went to fuel it today and to my surprise it only took 8.2 gallons, which meant that I logically had 1.6 gallons remaining, or approximately another 45 miles. Now the question is, will the SlingShot actually pull the full 9.8 gallons from the fuel tank? Obviously after 7 years of not knowing myself I don't plan on banking on it, but just curious?

Bill

I did a 9.7 gallon fill once, but we were just driving around locally breaking in something on our Slingshot.

• Most I've ever done is slightly over 9 myself. At that was at some po-dunk old gas station that I was just happy to see after also doing 30+ miles with the light on. (I noted that the SS ran for shxx after that - I think it was really old fuel since it was supreme in the middle of no where. Next tank was fine again.)

• At the price of the fuel pump, I never ran mine below the last 3 bars (on the gauge). Since the pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank, I wasn't going to give it any reason to over heat and have it fail early. Plus, you NEVER want to run a s/c or turboed vehicle with a fuel level so low that ity could slosh and run lean under boost unless you have deep pockets or a reason to upgrade to forged engine from one of our wonderful suppliers here

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Definitely agree about trying to not let the fuel level get low enough to risk overheating the fuel pump. I always use name brand gas whenever possible, but I have now started saving the most recent gas receipt for each vehicle, just in case I should get some bad gas to hurts the engine.

• Definitely agree about trying to not let the fuel level get low enough to risk overheating the fuel pump. I always use name brand gas whenever possible, but I have now started saving the most recent gas receipt for each vehicle, just in case I should get some bad gas to hurts the engine.

Really? The engine in our SlingShots is really that sensitive? With modern refining I thought the days of gas going bad have become mostly history?

Bill

• I keep the most recent gas receipt just out of paranoia. I have heard a couple of cases here in the Houston area over the past few years where folks have experienced engine problems after getting some bad gas. IIRC, the gas problems have usually been associated with leaky storage tanks and water getting into the gas before pumping.You'd think with so many refineries here in the Houston area, gas quality shouldn't be a problem, but keeping the last receipt is easy and gives some peace-of-mind, just in case. I mainly use Valero, Shell or Sunoco, when available or Texaco, Exxon Mobil as alternatives.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Really? The engine in our SlingShots is really that sensitive? With modern refining I thought the days of gas going bad have become mostly history?

Bill

The gas with the alcohol added will go bad after a time. If you get gas with no alcohol for your small engines it will last better and cause less problems.

• alcohol added will go bad

I constantly add alcohol..............

And I'm wicked good, never bad.........

(Not sure we can be friends anymore EJ.......makes me sad)

(I'll be adding a lot of alcohol Creekside in Maggie with Uncle BillyBob!)

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)
    :00007555:

Edited once, last by ConnMan: I can't spell worth a shit!! ().