New here, hope to own one soon

• Whylee, may I ask why you're set on an R?

Typically me, I was always of that nature also.

You might consider getting a good deal on a SL and R'ing yourself.

To my understanding the major difference is the tune to the ecu, a 305 on the back, factory CIA and some embroidery on the seats and some badges?

I'm sure someone else could go into more detail.

But then again, I understand working as much as you are, fun time is somewhat limited and you may want to just grab and go and minimize downtime upgrading.

I noticed there's that blue SL on reno Craigslist, but I'm not to sure about that guy it's been up for a while, and he never responded to an email when I was looking.

Have you driven one yet? That's the thee most sound advice I recieved from these guys that were chiseling on tablets when I joined. Get to know the one you get before going wild with upgrades. And I tried I really tried, originally I was just going to do brakes, shocks and headlights. Needless to say that went out the door fairly quick.

There are a few what I considered reasonably priced R's (25k) on cycletrader spread throughout the midwest if you're going the shipping route. And then again my brother is in Vegas, you find one there, I'm sure he'd be happy to drive it up to Reno for you. Lol

• I have the cash to buy one, just cant find one in my area. Went by my local Polaris dealer today, they said if I ordered now, maybe Aug/Sept time frame.

We ordered our R model with manual transmission and no upgrades last September and were told late December for delivery. The build was completed in about two weeks and we took delivery in late October. Transportation from Huntsville to Jacksonville, FL took longer than the build time. I hope you get one soon, best impractical purchase we ever made!

• It does not have to be a R. I started my search when I managed to stash enough cash for a S model. Since then I have been stashing more away and moving up in models as I got the cash. I have never driven any slingshots myself. About the only thing that im pretty set on is I want a manual shift.

• It does not have to be a R. I started my search when I managed to stash enough cash for a S model. Since then I have been stashing more away and moving up in models as I got the cash. I have never driven any slingshots myself. About the only thing that im pretty set on is I want a manual shift.

Where are you located? If your near me give a shout and you will be driving one before you can finish a cup of coffee. Lots of the guys have bought the lesser models and built it up to their own liking for much less money.

We started out looking for a white lightning S and there were none to be found. Polaris stopped taking orders for them so we started looking into the two R's that were still available. I'm glad we went that route. The only upgrade we have made is adding the color matched roll hoop speakers. I have plenty of projects to tinker with and like having a turn key toy to just jump in and go.

• For the most part I am looking to stay about a days drive away. Otherwise it will have to ship. I just contacted a dealer in FL that funinthesun hooked me up with. He is currently looking into the shipping for me. Hope we can make it all work out.

• Whylee you would probably not think about this but another option is to reach out here on the forum to see if someone is willing to help. When my 1st Sling got totaled (I was rear-ended) I found one in Minneapolis (I'm in Washington State) and a forum member reached out to me and offered to broker the deal for me, store it for a month while we were both on vacation, then trailered it out 1,850 miles to me. He bought and trailered home my wrecked Sling so he did have some motivation.

If you were to find one up here in the NW I'd be more than happy to trailer it down to you for fuel cost. I'm always looking for an excuse for a road trip. Last month I drove to Chatanooga, TN with a buddy to pick up a car he bought. 6,802 miles round trip! I'm only a day away so if you come up yourself I can give you a place to land for the night.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• SlingLow you just announced on OPEN forum that we like to help fellow SLINGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You reap what you sow!!! :farmer:

And I've been on the receiving end more than once! In fact, I ride with a centennial silver dollar in my pocket that was gifted to me in Huntsville. If only I could remember who that was...:/;)

• Did you get out in the Slingshot a little.

No sir. We flew into Nashville, TN, drove a rental car out to Ashville, NC and went to the Biltmore Estates of course, then drove back to Nashville over several days to fly home. We stayed with the Martins one night and hung out with them, Dieter and Barb in Maggie. Awesome folks, awesome trip! I decided not to run the Tail in my shitbox Fusion rental so it wouldn't taint the experience of running it in the Sling when I do make it out. It's coming!

Edit: Oh yeah, and the day we were there it rained like we were at home. Good day to sit and make new friends.

• No sir. We flew into Nashville, TN, drove a rental car out to Ashville, NC and went to the Biltmore Estates of course, then drove back to Nashville over several days to fly home. We stayed with the Martins one night and hung out with them, Dieter and Barb in Maggie. Awesome folks, awesome trip! I decided not to run the Tail in my shitbox Fusion rental so it wouldn't taint the experience of running it in the Sling when I do make it out. It's coming!

Edit: Oh yeah, and the day we were there it rained like we were at home. Good day to sit and make new friends.

The 'tail' is a awesome ride but "white knuckle" all the way, I have done it several time on a Gold Wing but never in the Slingshot. To many nice roads on the east side of the Smokies with much less crazy traffic.