Rear Sprocket outer lip removal

• In my world things get looser when they heat up ... but we shall see :/

not sure what the belt is made from, but if it carbon fiber shrinking and getting tighter would not be surprising - carbon fibers have a negative heat coefficient and shrink when heated - - kevlar also has a negative heat coefficient

does anyone here know what the belt is made of?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Each wheel on the Slingshot has a wheel speed sensor, primarily used, I believe by the safety nannies. My 2015 Service manual shows a vehicle speed sensor on the transmission, which I feel implies the speedometer uses this value for displaying the vehicle's speed. Helping to muddy the situation, the service manual also states "The vehicle speed sensor (VSS) assembly provides vehicle speed information to the engine control module (ECU)." This may not mean the vehicle speed sensor is the main value used by the speedometer, but the designation as vehicle speed sensor would lead me to believe it does supply the speedo reading. Changing the size of the rear tire does seem to cause a difference in actual speed when comparing GPS speed readings to the speedometer speed reading.

• Each wheel on the Slingshot has a wheel speed sensor, primarily used, I believe by the safety nannies. My 2015 Service manual shows a vehicle speed sensor on the transmission ....

The transmission service section of the Polaris service manual is copied directly from the Aisin manual. Polaris does not use the transmission speed sensor.

Search your own posts.... you have made this same statement in the past which others answered so I won't hash it out further.

....nerd-squared

As far as the belt ...

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

Edited 2 times, last by Orangeman ().

• I admit that I find the entire speed sensor situation confusing.

• Also I removed my belt guard a long time ago. took it off to make cleaning the belt easier but also because I like the look better without the guard.

I have copy catted Edward Neal by removing the belt guard. I have further found that you really do not need to scrub the belt every time, just spray with a degreaser like Simple Green, or this afternoon I had window cleaner handy and that did the job.)

Bill

• My belt squealed on my 15' immediately.

I brought it back to the dealer for service at 500 miles, to get the ridiculously priced first oil change.

I complained about the squeal, so they adjusted it.

Not much improvement.

I just kept riding.

Every time I brought it back on those early recalls, the dealer would adjust it after I kept complaining.

I brought it back to have the right front caliper replaced under warranty a year or 2 later, and told them it still squeals. So they decided to take the sprockets and belt off and put it back together.

I went to SSITA and talked to Noel from Cycle Springs about the squeal. He smiled and said I have to wash it with Simple Green. That didn't work.

The dealer finally got Polaris to replace the sprockets and belt.

I never clean it or adjust it because it doesn't squeal.

It's been 5 years now.

I have no idea what caused the problem.

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)
    :00007555:

• When the SlingShot first was conceived, I believe that the dealers were going through the same learning curve as we owners, where knowledge and experience had to be acquired over time.Trying to understand the early maintenance manual where belt adjustment was concerned was difficult. I could easily believe that there are owners out their currently that know more about aspects of their SlingShots than some of the dealers.

Bill

• I never had the problem with Sling I, but when I bought Sling II with 10,000 miles on it I had the squealing on some days and others it was quite. I never have cleaned the belts. The dealer adjusted the belt on Sling II and it no longer is making any noise.

• So what you’re saying is …as soon as your belt stop squealing so did you!?

:00000441::00008698:

My 2016 belt never moved and rarely if ever squealed - it stayed on the same place on the rear sprocket every day I owned it. Can’t say that with this 2019🥴

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Orangeman, Being a glutton for punishment, after contacting Polaris and asking where they derive the speedometer reading, I admit that I was wrong. While the 2015 Service manual states that the transmission speed sensor is used by the ECU, this is the message I received from Polaris after specifically asking them where the speedometer reading comes from - "The displayed speed is from the ESP(abs) module which is monitoring the wheel speed sensors." I assume this to mean that all 3 wheel speed sensors are used to determine the speedometer reading.