Dead battery, error code. What a day.

• A few days ago my wife took the Buggy out for a spin. She put it back in the garage, but put the key at the wrong position (one click past start - accessory?) and removed the key. I am guessing that the lights were still on, but she didn't pay it any mind because her Highlander turns the lights off by itself. (I told her, "Sure, the Slingshot turns the lights off by itself too, it just takes a lot longer.") I went out to start it this morning and got nothing, no lights, no warmup purr, no Ride Command, just the red light on the start button. I connected it to the solar panel trickle charger, but we didn't have enough sun in 8 hours to do any good. (Ended up driving to work in my car. Did I mention it rained for part of the trip? Is that irony or just dumb luck?) So, I looked up how to get to the battery (now I know why there are jump-start kits!) and used a battery jumper to get it running.

Two things happened. One, when I got down on the ground to take the panel off, I see this.

The dealer must have put a trickle charger on it when they stored it for the winter because there was no previous owner (2019 SLR, I bought it as a discounted leftover when the 2020 models came out.) It never occurred to me to even look back there when I was asking last winter about a trickle charger. At that time, I didn't even know the battery was back there. Not that it mattered much, I still would have needed the solar panel because there is no power in my garage. Well, at least now I have a different spot to plug in the solar panel when I get those heated seats.

It started right up once I connected the booster, but when I was checking the info panel for the battery voltage, I saw this:

I found an older post here from someone who had this problem, and it ended with replacing a relay. So now my question is, was it caused because the battery was deader than disco for two days, or is a grounded relay what contributed to the battery draining in the first place? I did not remove the battery, I just connected the clamps to each terminal to jump it. (The booster does not have a connector to fit the connector I found, but I will soon remedy that.) The last time I drove it was this past weekend, and there was no error. My wife said she did not see it when she had the SS out three days ago. (But then, she also didn't notice that the lights were still on when she parked it.) :rolleyes:

Is the SS safe to drive right now, or is it grounded until I can get a replacement relay? I'm going to check the manual to see if it's something I can get at the local auto parts store or if I have to order one from someplace more Slingshot-centric.

Glenn

• Glenn, If you have the Slingshot started it should be OK to drive. I probably wouldn't take off on a 300 mile ride. Stay close to home until the battery is charged and than turn if off for a minute or so and restart. May need to do that 2 or 3 times to reset the codes in the computer.

• Battery is charged. I ran it for 20 minutes, went around the block, then shut it off and waited an hour before trying to restart it. All systems go as far as I can tell, but the error code is still there. So maybe the code will clear itself? Or should I swap out the relay just to be safe? (Sorry, mechanical noob here.)

• Battery is charged. I ran it for 20 minutes, went around the block, then shut it off and waited an hour before trying to restart it. All systems go as far as I can tell, but the error code is still there. So maybe the code will clear itself? Or should I swap out the relay just to be safe? (Sorry, mechanical noob here.)

Sounds like tomorrow you might NEED to take a ride to DQ and than home to see if a couple of on/off will clear the code.

• Low voltage can cause false code.

If battery is fully charged, code should clear in three to seven restarts.

But since you are at this point...

Pull the battery and put it on the charger. Clean the battery post and cable clamps. Check the battery cable to frame ground. Clean if necessary.

Install battery when fully charged. Cross fingers...

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Pull the battery and put it on the charger. Clean the battery post and cable clamps. Check the battery cable to frame ground. Clean if necessary.

Install battery when fully charged. Cross fingers...

terminals looked good when I jump started it but I’ll take a better look tomorrow. Connection to ground was solid.

It’s only a 2019. I’ll be pretty surprised (and pissed) if I already have failed relays. Thanks!

Glenn

• My leftover 2018, purchased in 2019, also had the pre-installed charger lead. The dealer had it plugged into a Battery Tender Jr. I have everything plugged into it's own BTJ. The dealer had run the plug so it is behind the driver's seat. Handy spot.

• I spoke to someone at HK Powersports to see if I could order the relay through them if it came down to it. He said the relay should not be failing on a 2019 and suggested the same thing that EJ and airoutlaw said - take it for a few short rides and the code should clear itself. (Sadly no DQ around here, but there is a place in Sunapee called Quacks that has awesome ice cream. Plus, duck.) So that's what I will do. Couple local trips to make sure I don't get stranded anywhere, and I'll see what happens.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Glenn

• I spoke to someone at HK Powersports to see if I could order the relay through them if it came down to it. He said the relay should not be failing on a 2019 and suggested the same thing that EJ and airoutlaw said - take it for a few short rides and the code should clear itself. (Sadly no DQ around here, but there is a place in Sunapee called The Quack Shack that has awesome ice cream. Plus, duck.) So that's what I will do. Couple local trips to make sure I don't get stranded anywhere, and I'll see what happens.

Glenn

You don’t actually have to keep making trips to clear the code.

Different methods I’ve seen over the years to clear codes on a Slingshot:

1) Don’t worry about it. Use your sling as normal & it will eventually go away if it’s a temp glitch

2) a. Turn ignition on, let instruments sweep (don’t start engine) & turn ignition back off. Repeat 5 times.(Sometimes 4 times will do it)

2) b. Same as above but start engine each time.

3) Disconnect all 3 plugs from ECU for 1/2 hour then reconnect.

4) Disconnect a battery terminal for 1/2 hour then reconnect.

5) Have dealer clear code

If, after any or all of above, the code clears but then comes back, the code is probably valid & the issue must be corrected.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• 2) a. Turn ignition on, let instruments sweep (don’t start engine) & turn ignition back off. Repeat 5 times.(Sometimes 4 times will do it)

Ah, yes! I thought I had read that someplace but then couldn't find the page again to verify it. I think that post said 3 times. But, any excuse to ride is fine by me.

Glenn

• My leftover 2018, purchased in 2019, also had the pre-installed charger lead. The dealer had it plugged into a Battery Tender Jr. I have everything plugged into it's own BTJ. The dealer had run the plug so it is behind the driver's seat. Handy spot.

I mentioned that to the tech, he said they install them on all Slingshots. Probably makes it a tad easier to trickle charge them over winter storage. Now I just have to find a battery jump booster that has that quick connect plug on it.

• I spoke to someone at HK Powersports to see if I could order the relay through them if it came down to it. He said the relay should not be failing on a 2019 and suggested the same thing that EJ and airoutlaw said - take it for a few short rides and the code should clear itself. (Sadly no DQ around here, but there is a place in Sunapee called Quacks that has awesome ice cream. Plus, duck.) So that's what I will do. Couple local trips to make sure I don't get stranded anywhere, and I'll see what happens.

Glenn

Your local 'ice cream shop' probably better stuff. I was in Maggie Valley last summer for the rally ... riding with some folks and one of the Slingshots would start but only run for a minute. I had NO idea how to fix, but I ended up being the 'hero'. One of the guys called a friend and the friend said disconnect the Battery. I was the ONLY one who had any tools in the there Slingshot. (I don't know how to use but I had them) The Slingshot started after a few minutes of 'rest' and the rest of the day was great. Sometimes the simplest things!!!!!

• I mentioned that to the tech, he said they install them on all Slingshots. Probably makes it a tad easier to trickle charge them over winter storage. Now I just have to find a battery jump booster that has that quick connect plug on it.

They can tell you where to get the right charger.

• I mentioned that to the tech, he said they install them on all Slingshots. Probably makes it a tad easier to trickle charge them over winter storage. Now I just have to find a battery jump booster that has that quick connect plug on it.

Just get the battery tender it comes with the connection for the battery which has that plug on it. It also has the clips to hook up to the battery directly and also the connector to plug into the battery connector that is hooked to the battery. Cost around $25

https://www.amazon.com/Battery…la-4583863979808438&psc=1

And do yourself a favor, if you don't have an actual battery charger see if you can borrow one from a friend to bring your battery back to a normal charge rather than using your alternator to attempt it. It is healthier for both your battery and alternator.

..... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Driving down the road to charge the battery is hard on the system???