Polaris updated ecu for EPAS issues

• First the disclaimer that the information about to be shared is my opinion only and I'm not responsible if it later proves to not be correct.

Polaris has released an updated software to the digital wrench dated April 26th (version 3.7 4 26 16 I believe). This is to rewrite the software code for the electronic steering assist system. Questions have been raised as to how this will effect the ecu retuning done by Bob at OBD Diagnostics. Since I have the turbo programming, this was an important issue for me as well as hundreds of others. I had my ecu reflashed today and watched the entire process. When the digital wrench is hooked up to the slingshot, the available (meaning updates that are specific for the unit hooked up) is displayed. Mine only showed the one upgrade. Polaris engineers had said that when this update was released, it would incorporate any and all prior ecu updates, so a "virgin" ecu would only have to be reflashed once to get all the available ecu updated releases. This was not true. The new updated flashing ONLY corrects the EPAS software and will not wipe out the custom tune to your ecu. There also is an option under the engine management line which will update the rev hanging (and potentially other issues that I'm not aware of) and having that done, WILL WIPE OUT THE CUSTOM TUNING OF YOUR ECU. So please make sure your servicing technician knows that you have a custom tune and you only want the EPAS software upgrade done. This updated software is for the 2015 and 2016 units built prior to (whatever date probably April) 2016.

I hope this helps and puts some of your minds at ease to the all important question of do I get it done and lose my tune, or not.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• No. But not for the reason you're thinking. It's on its way to Bob to have the turbo tune reinstalled since I had the whole ball of wax updated to try to eliminate the rev hanging. My dealer owner took it for a ride and freaked out when he lifted his foot and it kept pulling. It scared him so badly, he started to reach for the key to shut it off. This was the only way to attempt to eliminate that issue as the reprogramming Bob does is only to the fuel, timing, and idle speed tables. The rev hanging function is stored inside a different component of the ecu which Bob has not gained access to to, so it does not get modified by his tuning.

• No. But not for the reason you're thinking. It's on its way to Bob to have the turbo tune reinstalled since I had the whole ball of wax updated to try to eliminate the rev hanging. My dealer owner took it for a ride and freaked out when he lifted his foot and it kept pulling. It scared him so badly, he started to reach for the key to shut it off. This was the only way to attempt to eliminate that issue as the reprogramming Bob does is only to the fuel, timing, and idle speed tables. The rev hanging function is stored inside a different component of the ecu which Bob has not gained access to to, so it does not get modified by his tuning.

On extreme rare occasions I've gotten some hang and even a little pull. The guy was going for the key before the clutch? Lol interesting choice.

• Thank you @funinthesun. Very helpful. Been telling my dealer to stay away from my ECU. As usual, your timing sucks. Got my steering rack replaced today and spent five hours with my dealer. Come home, @Guardian_Angel washes our Sling and my truck. I take a nap, make dinner. We plop down in the living room, fire up the tablets, and get the word from funinthesun. Wonder what else I could have done at my dealer today?

@funinthesun, scooped ya out some ice cream while I was gettin' mine. Better hurry or all you gonna get is sweet milk soup.... :D:D:whistling:

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Been looking for specifics with no luck...
    Believe this is to cover the EPAS shutting down during operation of vehicle without illuminating warning light and no codes.... resulting in the "click over center" frustration...

That sounds like fun doesn't it? I haven't experienced that issue. Still not excited about having the dealer dink around in the ecm.

• Correct. Some units are experiencing a loss of the power assist while riding. Their only way to regain the power assist, is to shut the engine off, and restart the vehicle so the EPAS reboots itself. I major PITA, but if the failure happens are the wrong moment (like on one of Rabtech's high speed tail of the dragon blasts), it could have disastrous results. This new software "patch" is designed to reprogram the basic features of the electronic activation of the steering and eliminate that from happening. Others have had similar issues with the steering feel without noticing a complete loss of the power assist, and this too is suppose to be eliminated.

• Is there anything we can do about the rev hang. It drives me crazy and it is so unpredictable .
    You lift your foot from the throttle and sometimes the revs drop like they supposed
    To,sometimes they hang for a few seconds
    And sometimes they even surge.
    This is by far the biggest problem I have with the Slingshot. I was over an hour on the phone
    With Bob and sending him the ECM he is going to try to help

• Thank you @funinthesun. Very helpful. Been telling my dealer to stay away from my ECU. As usual, your timing sucks. Got my steering rack replaced today and spent five hours with my dealer. Come home, @Guardian_Angel washes our Sling and my truck. I take a nap, make dinner. We plop down in the living room, fire up the tablets, and get the word from funinthesun. Wonder what else I could have done at my dealer today?

@funinthesun, scooped ya out some ice cream while I was gettin' mine. Better hurry or all you gonna get is sweet milk soup.... :D:D:whistling:

@airoutlaw you have GOT to hold a seminar on how you got @Guardian_Angel to wash your truck!!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Don't know what year you have or if you have had the 2016 Polaris ECM update done but that completely solved the concern for me ..and is the reason Funinthesun had the complete update done (which necessitated a new turbro flash) If not I would have it done by your dealer before sending it off to the Wizard.

Bobs tune just made it all that much better .......

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• My 15' base model has been great since day one and I have not experienced any of the reported issues. Still trying to decide if I want an NA tune but I am also a little leery of having mine flashed at the dealer when there are no problems. I was going to have it updated to remove the reverse throttle limiter as that is a pain in arse but may even leave that alone for now.

• I was going to have it updated to remove the reverse throttle limiter as that is a pain in arse but may even leave that alone for now.

The update does not remove it ...it changes it from fuel based to speed based so that it does not bog down while slipping the clutch or reversing up a grade ..

Still won't let you do J turns .... confused-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• My dealer doesn't show this update anywhere in his system.

http://polaris.diagsys.com/mod…=News&file=article&sid=37

Digital Wrench Update 04/26/16
    Posted on Wednesday, July 09 @ 08:20:52 CDT
    Topic: Software
    Digital Wrench Version 3.7 04/26/16 is now available.

IMPORTANT:

THIS UPDATE WILL NOT INSTALL ON OLDER VERSIONS OF DIGITAL WRENCH. YOU MUST ALREADY HAVE VERSION 3.7 INSTALLED ON YOUR PC BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL THIS UPDATE.

FOLLOW THE APPROPRIATE LINKS ON THE DEALER EXTRANET OR CONTACT POLARIS TECHNICAL SUPPORT IF YOU NEED INFORMATION ON HOW TO OBTAIN THE DIGITAL WRENCH VERSION 3.7 INSTALLER.

The update installer contains all additions to the version 3.7 software since the CD was released.

More details on new functions are available in the file description on the Download page.

Category: Main/Digital Wrench Version 3.7 Updates

Sort Downloads by: Title (A\D) Date (A\D) Rating (A\D) Popularity (A\D)
    Resources currently sorted by: Title (A to Z)

Digital Wrench Version 3.7 Update 04/26/16
    Description: This update consists of all changes to Digital Wrench Version 3.7 since the original version was released in May 2015.

Update 04-26-16 Includes the following changes & additions from the original program release and Previous Updates:

-Updated Calibrations for 2015 & 2016 Slingshot EPS
    -Updated Calibration for 2016 Indian (Brazil)
    -Addition of 2017 Octane International
    -Addition of 2016 Mid Year Release for RZR XP Turbo Model
    -Addition of 2016 Mid Year Release for GEM International Models
    -Addition of Service Reports for 2015-2016 110/170 Youth Vehicles
    -Revisions to RZR XP 1000 ECU Update Process

IMPORTANT: This update may also perform a firmware update on the SmartLink Module the first time it is connected. This update procedure must be allowed to complete before using the SmartLink.

NOTE: Reflashing a calibration should only be performed while working on a related issue, replacing an ECU or if there is an outstanding Service Bulletin requiring the ECU to be reflashed.

Click the link above, save the file to your hard disk and then double-click the icon to start the update process.

When the update is complete, the Version shown on the right side of the Digital Wrench Start-up Screen should read "Version 3.7 04/26/2016".

Note: Do not "run" or "open" the file from where they are. Select "save" and download them to your PC before running the install.

IMPORTANT:

THIS UPDATE WILL NOT INSTALL ON OLDER VERSIONS OF DIGITAL WRENCH. YOU MUST ALREADY HAVE VERSION 3.7 INSTALLED ON YOUR PC BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL THIS UPDATE.

FOLLOW THE APPROPRIATE LINKS ON THE DEALER EXTRANET OR CONTACT POLARIS TECHNICAL SUPPORT IF YOU NEED INFORMATION ON HOW TO OBTAIN THE DIGITAL WRENCH VERSION 3.7 INSTALLER.

Version: 37_042616 Filesize: 74.19 MB
    Added on: 26-Apr-2016 Downloads: 1312
    HomePage | Rate Resource | Details