Stretched / WIDENING your rear wheel

• yeah, but trying to widen the back tire....

With an 11 inch wide wheel you can fit up to a 325 tire, these are hard to find in 20 inch diameter though. The 20x11 is the same size as the new SLR which uses a 305 tire. The 305 tires are very common and you would be able to find a tire compound that would suit your ( KayTwo) driving habits. A side note on the Bravado Tribute wheel, Discount Tire can order this wheel in for you at lower cost than any online purchase. I also use Discount to mount and balance, a 20x11 Bravado Tribute wheel cost me was less than $200.

• Hub centric rings center the wheel bore on the vehicles hub. In most cases, the wheel bore with be larger than the vehicle hub. One of the reasons they do this, is so the wheels will be more "universal" and fit more vehicle applications. If your wheel bore is 73.1 and the Slingshot hub is 66.1, you would want a 73.1 to 66.1 hub centric rings. Preferably the more expensive metal ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Hubcent…T=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

With them installed, know have eliminated the play between the wheel bore and hub. Less play means less stress on wheel studs and overall better balance of the wheels.

Most people buy these after the fact when they are chasing issues on thinking a tire/wheel isn't balance correctly.

You should buy and install them. It is a cheap investment to make sure what you install is correct and as good, or better, than the factory take offs.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• It will be very rare that you will find a 48mm or 50mm wheel that needs to be spaced back out to 45mm. If you do this, you want to make sure you have enough stud threads as noted above to keep the wheel secured correctly.

In most cases, the offset is too low (38mm, 42mm, etc.), which means the wheel will stick out farther away from the shock and will be left of center. In these cases, you want to get to close to 45mm as possible. Anything that "fits" between 42mm and 48mm is good in my book.

Spacers wont fix an issue with a low offset number. In these cases, you need to shave/machine the wheel. Most good companies that sell wheels can shave off 3-4mm. This is what I did when I purchased my Niche wheel set. They took the rear 40mm and shaved it to 43/44mm. Shaving/ machining wheels is usually not that expensive; around $25 per if I remember correctly.

• @sideseatdriver I would buy the 40mm option and have them machine it to 43/44mm. In this way, you don't need to mess with spacers and will have plenty of stud length for lug nuts.

With that wheel, you may want to look at a Toyo T1R 315/25ZR20 tire.

• Okay, and what do the hub centric rings give me? Are they a requirement for the tire to fit, or just play matchy-match lookwise with the stock? My lack of information is generally why I stay in the peanut gallery.... :00008862:

If you look at your drake disc, you should see a small lip on the axle inside the circle formed by the lug bolts. That lip should be the same diameter as the opening in the center of the wheel and aligns the wheel with the axle, ensuring the wheel is properly centered so it will roll smoothly. Hub-centric rings are used when a wheel has a center opening larger than the lip on the axle and match the center hole diameter of the wheel, securely holding the wheel centered against the axle. While it IS possible to mount wheels w/o using hub-centric rings, it is not advisable as you are then relying solely on the lug nuts to keep the wheel tightly centered to the brake disc instead of the axle and it is possible for the wheel to be mounted slightly off-center with respect to the axle and may cause noticeable vibration as you drive.

I also would not recommend mounting a wheel with a smaller center opening than the lip on the brake drum as that can result in a wheel which is not securely mounted flat against the brake disc with the wheel being held against the edge of the lip instead of making uniform contact with the surface of the brake disc, possibly introducing undesirable handling impacts.

• If you look at your drake disc, you should see a small lip on the axle inside the circle formed by the lug bolts. That lip should be the same diameter as the opening in the center of the wheel and aligns the wheel with the axle, ensuring the wheel is properly centered so it will roll smoothly. Hub-centric rings are used when a wheel has a center opening larger than the lip on the axle and match the center hole diameter of the wheel, securely holding the wheel centered against the axle. While it IS possible to mount wheels w/o using hub-centric rings, it is not advisable as you are then relying solely on the lug nuts to keep the wheel tightly centered to the brake disc instead of the axle and it is possible for the wheel to be mounted slightly off-center with respect to the axle and may cause noticeable vibration as you drive.

I also would not recommend mounting a wheel with a smaller center opening than the lip on the brake drum as that can result in a wheel which is not securely mounted flat against the brake disc with the wheel being held against the edge of the lip instead of making uniform contact with the surface of the brake disc, possibly introducing undesirable handling impacts.

Thanks! I was wondering about it and hoping I wouldn't have to look it up! :thumbup:

As surprising as it may be to some, I freely admit that I don't know EVERYTHING. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

• If you order hub-centric rings, make sure you order the correct size. I personally prefer metal hub-centric rings, but couldn't find the size I need in metal, so I ended up with plastic.

This is not meant as a criticism of TravAz, I just don't want someone to click the link and order the incorrect size assuming the link is what they needed. IIRC, when I searched Amazon, I almost ordered the wrong size. Amazon Search returned - "We found 0 results for "66.1 mm inside diameter hub rings to 70.3 mm outside diameter hub rings" Use fewer keywords or try these instead" and then listed hits that matched either set of numbers. Easy to order the wrong size if you're not careful. In his above post, TravAz mentions uisng 73.1 mm outside diameter hub-centric rings for wheels to fit the 66.1 mm inside diameter for the Slingshot hubs. Unfortunately, the Amazon link goes to 67.1 mm inside diameter rings, not the 66.1 mm he referred to in his post. Since the hub-centric rings he linked to are metal, the difference in size may be OK, but I would definitely try to be as exact as possible if the rings are made of plastic. I ordered my plastic rings from JustForWheels.com and ordered 66.1 mm ID and 70.4 mm OD which fit snugly on the axle hub.
    Here's a link to JustForWheels' explanation on hub-centric rings - Understanding how Hub Centric Rings work - JustForWheels.com.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Bingo. Order the right size.

I only posted those diameters because they were the first metal hub centric rings that popped up on a google.

I ordered mine in late 2014 and ordered the wrong size. Luckily being off by 1mm on the bore side doesn't really matter.

• Bingo. Order the right size.

I only posted those diameters because they were the first metal hub centric rings that popped up on a google.

I ordered mine in late 2014 and ordered the wrong size. Luckily being off by 1mm on the bore side doesn't really matter.

I ran into the same size conundrum when I was researching what size hub-centric rings to order. I definitely would have preferred metal rings If I could have found them.

• 66.1 is the inside diameter. Rims will vary on the outside. For example mine are 72.56.

You need to get the exact match to achieve what the ring is supposed to do. I have used both polycarbonate and aluminum rings. I prefer the aluminum, but only from a makesnme feel better stand point. My wheel guy stated that the polycarbonate are fine unless you are doing some serious track racing

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• I ran into the same size conundrum when I was researching what size hub-centric rings to order. I definitely would have preferred metal rings If I could have found them.

What about machining an alternate size set to fit or having a new set fabricated by a local shop?

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

• all. I want to point out that the main purpose of the rings is to help center the wheel on the hub. If you tighten the lugs properly you pretty much achieve the same thing, but way easier with rings

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• Damn it... Now I'm definitely getting the rings... Where do I find the information on the wheels I have? Mickey Thompson SC-5 18x9s and 20x10.5?

Contacting the manufacturer or store you bought them from is the best way to get accurate wheel hub sizing info. The Slingshot has 66.1 mm hubs so that's the inside diameter you need along with whatever outside diameter your wheels need.