2021 Angle Drive Gear Oil

• Hey Folks

I noticed that the 2021(maybe 2020) Angel Drive gear oil spec has been updated from 75w140 to 80w250. I want to switch to something better than stock. On my 2019 I used Royal Purple. The only thing I have found for 80w250 is Redline. Does anyone have any experience using this?

https://www.redlineoil.com/80w250-gl-5-gear-oil-2

• My 2¢....

We Motorheads tend to obsess over oil and I don't think what kind of oil really makes that much of a difference as long as it's good quality stuff, changed regularly.

One of my oil changes I put the Royal Purple stuff; which claimed better gas mileage... that claim was bumkus. My mpg was exactly the same weeks into the new oil. I imagine for the rear angle drive it will be the same. Use good stuff and change it regularly and you'll be fine.

• I know the first number is oil "weight" right? So similar in weight, just not sure the difference between the 40 and the 250 - is that viscosity or something?

I have one and a half of left of the Royal Purple, so will probably use that and then check back and see what the consensus is! I've heard the new angle drive is a bit beefier, but just what I read. Interesting that the oil specs changed.

• I know the first number is oil "weight" right? So similar in weight, just not sure the difference between the 40 and the 250 - is that viscosity or something?

The first is the cold flow rate (sorry can't remember the cold test temperature for gear oil) and the second refers to the viscosity at 210 degrees Fahrenheit.

.....nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Sounds Good. I will likely try out the Polaris brand at 500 mi and try redline at 1500mi lol. Sorry I like new fluids especially after break-in to get some of the gunk out. Will be changing my clutch fluid at these time too