Some Funny Comics I recently received in emails

• And I would NOT let the 'kids' use a calculator in math class... 6-7&8 grades...

good luck with that now days - - with smart watches and phones kids now days have calculators and much more 24/7 - - - - - - - and if you try to take their tech away their parents will have a shit fit screaming that they need it for emergencies

the reliance on technology has gotten so bad that many kids cant even tell time on a clock with hands and they have no clue what a real set of encyclopedias looks like or how to use one.

dang kids can put most of us old farts to shame when it comes to tech and computers, but one EMP and they would screwed

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I would not let my youngest son use a calculator to do his homework. He could use it only to check his work. When he got to high school the calculator was required in class. This was in the late 80's.

By the time they reach High School they should be able to add 6 + 7 with out taking off there shoes ... some can or could in the real OLD days.

• a funny side note on the tech and the reliance there on

Back before y2k my wife came home from work one day and told me that many of her coworkers were stockpiling food and supplies because all of the stores might shut down if the computers couldnt deal with the year change. She asked me what I thought and if we should do the same. I looked at my wife, who is from the Philippines, and asked - how do the little stores in your Provence work? do they have computerized cash registers? she laughed and said no, they keep the money in a box and they do the calculations on a piece of paper with a pencil. Then I asked her, how long do you think it will take for the guy down the corner running the minimart to figure out that he can put the money in a box and do the math by hand if he wants to keep selling things and making money? - - - we both figured easily under 20 minutes and he would be up and running and selling things - no way a guy from Sri Lanka who came here to build a better life for his family would ever let a non working computer keep him from making money

not so sure about the young people in this country these days - - too reliant on technology and no longer taught how to do things without it

kind of frightening if you ask me

• I can remember once upon a time when you actually had to know the law to be a lawyer - not have an iPad with a complete law library at your fingertips to do the thinking for you. All of us are getting to be dinosaurs 😩

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• I can remember once upon a time when you actually had to know the law to be a lawyer - not have an iPad with a complete law library at your fingertips to do the thinking for you. All of us are getting to be dinosaurs 😩

If you don't use it you lose it. What happens if the brain was never developed? Our school system's are not what they should be to develop our children.

• Remember when math teachers told you to learn multiplication because "You won't always have a calculator".....

I taught a class on grid coordinate conversion while in the Army and we typically allowed students to use calculators since there was a lot of math involved. I had a calculator that used RPN (Reverse Polish Notation), a system that doesn't use parentheses or the equals button when entering data. My students were all used to "normal" calculators that used parentheses and the equals button and always hated my RPN calculator. Of course, that was the main reason I kept it around!:evil:

• I taught a class on grid coordinate conversion while in the Army and we typically allowed students to use calculators since there was a lot of math involved. I had a calculator that used RPN (Reverse Polish Notation), a system that doesn't use parentheses or the equals button when entering data. My students were all used to "normal" calculators that used parentheses and the equals button and always hated my RPN calculator. Of course, that was the main reason I kept it around!:evil:

The calculator I use now does basic math...

Just to verify my ancient mind.

Took one year of algebra, mandatory high school...

To this day, i ask why.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I've ended up using basic Geometry and some algebra in every job I've ever had. Sometimes, I admit I've had to look up a formula. For years, I kept a math book called "Handbook of Applied Math" or something like that. It was loaded with formulas for working with sheet metal ducting as well as masonry so you could calculate how many bricks or blocks would be needed for a given size wall with a specified mortar thickness as well as brief coverage of different math topics. IIRC, it devoted 4-5 pages to its refresher on Calculus. I used to read the book just because I found the different specialized formulas interesting. Makes me wonder where I last placed it. I might have given it away after I retired, but I hope not.

• I taught a class on grid coordinate conversion while in the Army and we typically allowed students to use calculators since there was a lot of math involved. I had a calculator that used RPN (Reverse Polish Notation), a system that doesn't use parentheses or the equals button when entering data. My students were all used to "normal" calculators that used parentheses and the equals button and always hated my RPN calculator. Of course, that was the main reason I kept it around!:evil:

Hey BKL I have been using HP12-C financial calculators and other HP financial calculators for over 35 years that are RPN - - I even have an RPN calculator app on my iPhone called "Touch RPN" - - to me its just normal to put that first number in hit enter and then go from there - - - - my wife has a regular calculator she uses to pay bills that sits on the table by the computer and I struggle whenever I try to use that thing - - and get pissed off when I hit the squats sign and then can't keep going

• I barely squeezed by a statistics class in college - don’t think I had any course I hated worse. I found I coulda really used it many times but unfortunately I think I forgot 90% of it as soon as I got a passing grade 😂

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• stastictics barely squeezed by a statistics class in college - don’t think I had any course I hated worse. I found I coulda really used it many times but unfortunately I think I forgot 90% of it as soon as I got a passing grade 😂

being in the retirement planning business financial math involving statistics/life expectancies and time value of money calculations are things I deal with every day - - the vast majority of it is all done in very specialized software on the computers, but being able to double check the calculations by hand with a good financial calculator is critical - the computer only does what it is told and if you check a box incorrectly or mark some specification wrong or transcribe a date or a number we are going to get wrong numbers out - - if I don't spot check it I am asking for trouble