Installing Infotainment Kit

• A friend of mine gave me this new infotainment kit that he got from one of the vendor here. I was thinking of installing it to my 2016 since I only have the base and could use the radio and the backup camera.

Now, i’ve heard that a lot of people here have upgraded their stereo system since the factory one sucks. I’m not sure if this easy plug and play kind of thing or is it even worth installing it. Has anyone install this before in their base slingshot? Pros? Cons? Should I just skip it altogether and build my own?

Thanks!

• I have a 2015 Base Slingshot and am now on my ?4th? music system/radio.

I started with a Boss BT amp and some Boss speakers installed in used Polaris speaker pods, but didn't feel it produced enough volume at Inter-state speeds. I also didn't like the loss of leg-space from the speaker pods. I added a Clarion XC2410 amp and still use it.

Over the past 4 years, I added SSVWorks roll hoop pods and now have some used SSVWorks floor pods. I've been thru several radios and am currently running a Lanzar AQR80B round marine radio meant for boats and which has a camera input, but a small screen. I recently changed speakers to JBL GTO620 2 ohm speakers to get more power/volume from my amp and now have decent volume at speed. My current point of dislike about the Lanzar unit is it uses a remote to access setup and for some reason doesn't always maintain Shuffle or Loudness settings if it defaults to radio mode and with the remote in the glove compartment I can't get to the remote w/o losing papers in the compartment. If I can't get it to maintain the settings I want, I guess I'll swap again. I'm now getting ready to modify the dash panel I have the radio mounted in to incorporate a storage compartment large enough to hold the remote, but I still don't like setup requiring the remote to change any settings.

here's some info on a couple of my previous setups and dimensions on what I did for the dash panel to hold the radio, etc. - Aftermarket Stereo.

I may eventually try a single or double DIN radio with a larger screen.

• BKL

Got a remote controller for my Halo's.

Soft side velcro on the back, hard side velcro below e-brake handle center console pocket. Keeps the remote from blowing out and handy. When I stop, pull the e-brake, grab remote, and go.

Got hard sided velcro across the top inside of my glovebox.

Prevents having to dig for things like tire guage, remote, garage door opener, etc.

Loose papers in the glove box.

Are ya freakin' mad, man?! :S

One gallon heavy duty Ziploc freezer bags...

Keeps it dry, clean, and in one place.

And cheap!

Or, ticker tape parade on! 8)

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I installed in my 2016 a Kenwood DNX695Swith nav system, and I'm in the middle of installing a Kenwood KAC-M8005 AMP and subwoofer in floor pan.

Double Jeopardy!!!

And the answer is...

Crank up the volume!

How does a engineer tickle his balls, Alex.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Back to the original poster: Yes it should pretty much be plug-n-play. All the wiring should be there although you may have to dig through places to find it all, including the camera wiring in the tail.

The stereo is actually a 2 piece: A black box that mounts in the back of the stereo cubby and then the screen up front. As long as you made no modifications to the dash or that area, they should just all screw in.

There should be a big 32 pin connector that goes into the back of the black box. There there are a couple square connectors that go into the screen portion. There are other threads on here that have pics. Search for posts by me about 2 yrs ago.

And yes, many people have found the stock stereo to be . . . . err . . . . lacking. Including myself. I had many go arounds with Polaris on mine and eventually replaced the whole thing. In SS2, I put in a Pioneer head unit running Pioneer speakers in the stock pods - okay, but couldn't hear at highway speeds. In SS3, I put a Kenwood Excelon head unit with Kenwood 300W Marine Amp running 4 Kicker speakers in SSV Works front and rear pods. That one ROCKs but could use a little more bass.

• i’ll take a look at other post here! thank you!

sounds like you changed the speakers, head unit and added amp as well, but left the factory wiring in?

It sounds like the whole kit is pretty much useless and not worth the time for the install for a very low quality audio system? am i right?

• i’ll take a look at other post here! thank you!

sounds like you changed the speakers, head unit and added amp as well, but left the factory wiring in?

It sounds like the whole kit is pretty much useless and not worth the time for the install for a very low quality audio system? am i right?

I have a 2016 Slingshot with a OEM system --- I have $5.00 ears and use a memory stick for my music and I get $6.00 sound from the system --- I do know some people that have put over $10,000.00 in a stereo system....NUTS. You are never going to have a top notch home system in a Slingshot. I do like some music as I fly down the road at 70mph.

• I have a 2016 Slingshot with a OEM system --- I have $5.00 ears and use a memory stick for my music and I get $6.00 sound from the system --- I do know some people that have put over $10,000.00 in a stereo system....NUTS. You are never going to have a top notch home system in a Slingshot. I do like some music as I fly down the road at 70mph.

EJ is right.

It's a basic system that will do the basics - AM/FM/Bluetooth/USB. Many people had problems getting any decent AM/FM reception - myself included. I also had problems with USB (memory stick only, no phone access) and Bluetooth - you can read about my problem on the other thread.

But since you already got it (free??), you can install it pretty easily and have some sound when stopped or driving under 50mph. Above that, it won't get loud enough to hear clearly.

On SS2 (Pioneer), I did use the stock wiring. I actually pulled the speaker wires out of that 32 pin connector and used them in the stock pods and just replaced the stock speakers with the Pioneers. As I said, okay, but still couldn't hear it at highway speeds. This only cost me <$300.

On SS3 (Kenwood), I used all new wiring. I thing the only thing I use stock was the power wire and I bought one of the power plug adapters from Slingmods/Slingtunes/etc (one of those - I can't remember exactly who). I didn't even use the stock rear camera wiring, running a new RCA video cable through the transmission tunnel. This system I can definitely hear at HIGH speeds. But I've got over $1500 in equipment and did all the labor myself.

• My volume is fine on 10 of 30 on the dial volume at 70mph hear fine and even with a helmet. over 80mph ??? but at that speed ought to be watching traffic and not paying attention to anything else. You know my favorite 'mod' is gas.

• Good idea about the Velcro in the glove-box. I'm just little leery about velcroing something inside the cockpit. I have a round piece of PVC I use for holding small items near the radio and while I've changed the layout, I plan on fabbing a rectangular PVC box to hold the remote and might Velcro it there.

101942-paradio-jpg

I keep my registration papers in a Ziploc freezer bag, but still have a few loose pieces of paper or microfiber towels that I use for cleaning the windshield. I had my shopping list fly out of my short pocket the other day! Turned around to look for it, but never found it.

• Good idea about the Velcro in the glove-box. I'm just little leery about velcroing something inside the cockpit. I have a round piece of PVC I use for holding small items near the radio and while I've changed the layout, I plan on fabbing a rectangular PVC box to hold the remote and might Velcro it there.

101942-paradio-jpg

I keep my registration papers in a Ziploc freezer bag, but still have a few loose pieces of paper or microfiber towels that I use for cleaning the windshield. I had my shopping list fly out of my short pocket the other day! Turned around to look for it, but never found it.

More fun to go shopping without a list.

• My Wife's main complaint about my list-less grocery shopping is I bring to much stuff home from the grocery store and then she has to figure out where to keep it!

For the last couple of years I have been doing most of the food shopping...Back surgery and now this C-19 stuff. I buy than she has to figure out what she's going to make for supper. Sometimes I get what's on her list.