Gear grind 2-3

• Hello all, I’m new to any/all forums.

I took delivery of my ‘17 SLR in Sept. ‘18

My clutch would grind from 2nd to 3rd on

occasion when shifting on high side of band.

I noticed fluid in resovoir was very dirty &

possibly hydrophobic.

Took SS to dealer got fluids flushed & replaced, picked up yesterday 03/13/19

Clutch performed beautifully!!

Even did a 2nd to 3rd @ 4750

This morning I drive to work (21miles one way); I’m behind 4 slow cars doing 10 or less, I pull a high speed pass.

@ 4800: 2nd-3rd; grind!

I’m like darn it!!!!

When I get home this afternoon I’m detailing & notice fluid on exterior of resovoir

Has anyone had this issue & does anyone if Polaris has made a fix for this??

I’ve noticed from this forum that clutch system seems to be an inherit problem w/ these machines which is what prompted me to join

• SSSLR17 I have had 2 Slingshots 2015 & 2016 and between the two about 73,000+ miles and no grinding problems... Can't say every shift was as smooth as I would have like !!!!!!!! FunCycle also has over 77,000+ miles on his 2015 since Dec 2014. Lot of Slingshot out your way who can lead you to the top notch dealer...

• Chances are the fluid on the reservoir was pushed out when they installed the cap...

As for the dark fluid, DOT 4 brake fluid is notorius for drawing moisture from the atmosphere.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I have NOT confirmed that this works. I have just heard others say that this has helped to get any last trapped air out of the system. And I have heard it told two ways.

Remove the cover from the reservoir and suck out out all the fluid you can with whatever tool you find that works. Then fill the reservoir up with fresh brake fluid. Leave the cover off. Find a stick to prop the clutch pedal down all the way. Leave it this way over night.

I have also heard this method told with a stick just long enough to hold the pedal half way down.

I don't see this being something that would hurt anything. SO I guess it couldn't hurt to try. There may be some air trapped that somehow finds its way to the top when its under a bit of pressure.

Give it a shot.