Non optima batteries

• I know a lot of you like to put optima batteries on your rides, but I simply can't justify the expense, vs what I need it for.

My 2019 has the mini-me battery and I'd like to put a standard battery on it. However, all of the kits mention optima for the batteries.

At the cost of the kits, I don't want to assume it will work with a standard battery, does anyone know for sure. I asked one of the vendors and never got a response, but figured you guys and gals may know.

Thanks

• The 2015 came out with a standard automotive battery mounted?

Bill

Madstad windshield

MeanSling hood assist

MeanSling SportTop w/lift

DDMWorks surge tank

Paramount Plastics Stealth Rear Fender version 1

Sedici Distanza Sissy Bar Bags

Ventisit ventilated seat cushions

Curb Alert

• My thoughts were to purchase the parts for a 2015 SlingShot, but looking back at a previous picture reminded me that the mount is designed to be welded to the frame, sorry!

78448-p1120050-jpg

Bill

Madstad windshield

MeanSling hood assist

DDMWorks surge tank

Curb Alert

• I’ll never buy another optima battery for any vehicle....they are over priced and don’t last any longer than lead acid batteries.....

They are the same size as lead acid....so I believe the “optima” kit will hold a regular size car battery....

Everything you need to know....from my 2015 service manual...

• I found two different battery tray kits.....

The slingmods kit has a hold down plate that is cut to fit the shape of the optima battery...it could be cut straight across to work with a real battery....

Watch the install video....I don’t think either one needs welded in...

• 34 will fit but is almost touching the angle drive. Mine is a 26

I don't think a 26 will fit this battery box, they list the max size as 10 x 7 x 6 3/4, and assuming that last number is the height, the 26 is too tall at 7 3/4.

https://www.batteryequivalents…ery-group-size-chart.html

But, the 34 is taller than that too, so I wonder if their docs are wrong from TD, or is the Optima 34 shorter than spec?

• I don't think a 26 will fit this battery box, they list the max size as 10 x 7 x 6 3/4, and assuming that last number is the height, the 26 is too tall at 7 3/4.

But, the 34 is taller than that too, so I wonder if their docs are wrong from TD, or is the Optima 34 shorter than spec?

8.7 in L (221.23 mm) X 6.8

X H) in (172.21 mm) X 7.0 in

(178.2 mm)

Height is either 6.8 or 7”

It looks higher than it is wider...

• check this tray out. https://slingshotonly.com/pola…ngshot-large-battery-box/ it's listed for up to 2017s but you can ask if they have something for newer models.

Size group 26 is the best fit if you have rear exhaust

You could also go with the group 25 Optima which is the size that I put in my 2015. You just need to be sure about the width of the battery for the tray

• For what it is worth, It was about time to service our battery in our 2015 so here is a picture of the mounting platform.

The stock Polaris battery doesn't seem to fit with any of the dimensions of other "typical" batteries, though I have it in my notes that a group

26 or 34 battery will fit nicely enuff. I am suspecting after four years that our stock battery has seen most of it's useful life at which time will be replaced with a maintenance free battery.

Sure would be nice if an alternative location could be used, or a weatherproof enclosure added, the present location sure catches a lot of water and road debris.

Bill

Madstad windshield

MeanSling hood assist

DDMWorks surge tank

Curb Alert

• I don't think a 26 will fit this battery box, they list the max size as 10 x 7 x 6 3/4, and assuming that last number is the height, the 26 is too tall at 7 3/4.

I think you're right about their doc being wrong. The hold down bracket is also curious. I wonder if it can just be shaved down for a regular battery. The other thing you might need is a longer red cable. Looking at this https://slingshotonly.com/wp-c…y-Installation-Manual.pdf your battery terminals are reversed.

• A group 26 Interstate battery is the exact same dimensions as OEM for the 2015.

• Referring to Red Group 26 is the same across the market. The Group 25 will also fit, it is one inch longer that the 26. The Group 34 is around another inch longer than the 25. All three are basically the same except for the length and will fit in the tray on the 2015 and what other year that may have the 26 battery. I changed to the Optima hoping o get rid of the corrision on the battery terminals that should be IMHO cleaned at least every year it not 6 months. I found after 6 months there was still a lot of corrision