Slingshot Owners Group (SOG)

• Ross - I joined this morning. My due diligence was nothing more than reading 7-8 posts on the subject. I did so not because I need more than this forem has to offer or because this great place is lacking in some way. I just thought it would be yet another likeminded place to go. I do believe you are finding out that you can’t be all things to all people. You have shown great patience and concern for all in your discourse.

That we all ride SS and / or motorcycles sets us apart. We are, for better or worse, a breed apart. Tenacity is in our blood.

May I suggest you just declare yourself Benevolent Dictator of SOG and march on!😎

Ross should we tell SoCal the story about Karianna bring home a Slingshot.... I do believe that the BOD and Officers of SOG are headed in a positive good direction.

• Do tell!

I better tell the story from my perspective or I'll look like more of a dumbass

Karianne was the first to spot the Slingshot in late 2015. She spotted one again in spring of 2016 and decided we had to have it. She came home excited as hell to tell me about it and that she was going to trade in the Harley trike to get one. She described it as cool looking, one of a kind, reserve trike, but she called it a Spyder.

I said let's look into it. She said no I gotta have it. I looked up Spyder's online and didn't like the look at all. I had back surgery 2 years prior and told her that it looked like it wouldn't be comfortable. She said but you sit in it and not ride it. I said let's go slow. She giggled and walked away.

Two days later she found the local dealer and was off to turn in the Harley - much to my objection. Needless to say she didn't bring home a Spyder but rather a Slingshot and we've put on nearly 30k miles.

Yes, according to her, I'm the guy that said no to a Slingshot

PS. I'm the one that has done all the mods and maintenance and cleaning and detailing LOL

• Ross unlike most of us you NEVER did ride motorcycles if I recall correctly. It has been a FUN ride since we first meet in Sept 2016. Hope the weekend is going well.

• It took me two years of following forums and seeing what Polaris added to the new models before I pulled the trigger.And I wanted to make sure they stuck around. I have always been a sport bike rider since late 80's and have been into racing them. But getting older and the fact that it's not comfortable for the to ride on I began pondering different solutions. Now with the Sling she can even enjoy the rides more so. Win win as I still have the 2 wheeler but contiplating on selling.

• When it comes to this forum we are trying to do exactly what so many of us do everytime we meet a new rider that asks questions about the Slingshot ... get them to the number one place for information and friendships. We are not creating another platform to discuss the same or new topics.

I do not see SOG as a message board nor a forum and thus will not compete for folks forum time.

I think that there are a few here that still do not get what SOG is or will stand for and do. As I understand it, SOG will be only a way of directing information and mods and the like.... To THIS forum. Not away from it at all. The SOG site is going to be more like the HOG site. NOT a forum, with posting and the like, but to organize rides, bring small vendors to those rides, and promote fellowship and good will into the Slingshot community. It will be a site that you go to looking for upcoming events, not only SOG events, but also other events like Maggie Valley. It's not a place for posting mods, or asking "How to" do something. That will still be here. The closest thing to competing here I would think, might be the photo section. I'm sure they will have pictures at some point of meets, and possibly individual Slingshots.

Again, if anyone has concerns, I'm sure that they will be addressed. One only needs to look at the people that are heading this up to know this will be an effort that is in the best interest of the Slingshot world. Most of the members involved in this I know personally, and have ridden miles and shared good times in person with more of them than not. If I were ever to need a court with a judgement of my peers, I would be ecstatic to have the ones to do that from ANY in this group! Is it perfect now? I'm sure there will be wrinkles to iron out at some point. But these are some of the most stand up people that I know of in the Slingshot world, and also some of the most "Pay it forward" people that I've met in my life.

Just my $.02 (although with two paragraphs above, it may be more like $.04). I'm going to give them a chance to run with this as they see fit as a group. I think the final product will be something very great.... and always striving to improve if possible. This will remain my stance on this. Should I see something that I feel is wrong, or could be much better implemented differently, I'll contact Ross or another member of the board personally in private. I'm certain they will be open to any suggestions that will better this effort they are putting forth.

• How cool is that that you have a wife that loves to ride and encourages you to stay on the road and in the wind. There’s a ton of people out there with six-year-old Harley Davidson with 500 miles on them sitting in a garage because the wife won’t ride. Consider yourself lucky I’m sure you do! Great story!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• It took me two years of following forums and seeing what Polaris added to the new models before I pulled the trigger.And I wanted to make sure they stuck around. I have always been a sport bike rider since late 80's and have been into racing them. But getting older and the fact that it's not comfortable for the to ride on I began pondering different solutions. Now with the Sling she can even enjoy the rides more so. Win win as I still have the 2 wheeler but contiplating on selling.

This year will be a true test for me on the motorcycle. If it’s still in the garage next year at this time without many miles I may do the same. But I’ve been riding almost 50 years and that’s a tough pill to swallow.

• My Slingshot got delivered 24 Feb 2015 Lots of Snow here that year, so in the garage. It shared some space with my Gold Wing till mid March when it went to my Gold Wing dealer to get sold. Didn't start riding until 50 and in 20 years put 250,000 miles on Wings. Loved every mile but knew I could do justice to both --- hope the Wing went to someone who is putting miles on it. Little short on miles this year (2018) with a total since 2015 of 73,000 miles but plan is to do better in 2019.

• My Slingshot got delivered 24 Feb 2015 Lots of Snow here that year, so in the garage. It shared some space with my Gold Wing till mid March when it went to my Gold Wing dealer to get sold. Didn't start riding until 50 and in 20 years put 250,000 miles on Wings. Loved every mile but knew I could do justice to both --- hope the Wing went to someone who is putting miles on it. Little short on miles this year (2018) with a total since 2015 of 73,000 miles but plan is to do better in 2019.

EjFord - Hail to the king! Wife and I are averaging about 1000 a month and thought we were doing well! Ride on !!

• EjFord - Hail to the king! Wife and I are averaging about 1000 a month and thought we were doing well! Ride on !!

FunCycle is a little ahead of me... (he got his in Dec 2014) and another friend who is now in Kentucky has 90,000+ (Dec 2014) Just love to ride. Work a little for some gas money and so the wife doesn't shoot me for being under foot.

• FunCycle is a little ahead of me... (he got his in Dec 2014) and another friend who is now in Kentucky has 90,000+ (Dec 2014) Just love to ride. Work a little for some gas money and so the wife doesn't shoot me for being under foot.

I picked mine up Feb. 12, 2015, working on 76,000 miles. 6 trips to the Smokies this past summer and the trip to Booze and Blues

• This year will be a true test for me on the motorcycle. If it’s still in the garage next year at this time without many miles I may do the same. But I’ve been riding almost 50 years and that’s a tough pill to swallow.

In my prime of riding Harleys, I put on 20-21K a year. I've had the SS for most of 3 summers now and have 36,500 on it. The Harley hasn't had 3,000 in the same 3 seasons.... last year only 648 miles on it. I started at 7 with mini bikes, and by 12 had my first motorcycle. Since that time, I've owned as many as 6 at a time (other than one week, after selling my bike and couldn't get the other one yet), most of the time at least 2. I enjoy riding them, but nearly every time I see someone in a cage do something stupid that could hurt me at the least, or kill me at the worst. TBH, I'd choose the Slingshot 99 times out of 100 for my preferred ride anyway.....

• In my prime of riding Harleys, I put on 20-21K a year. I've had the SS for most of 3 summers now and have 36,500 on it. The Harley hasn't had 3,000 in the same 3 seasons.... last year only 648 miles on it. I started at 7 with mini bikes, and by 12 had my first motorcycle. Since that time, I've owned as many as 6 at a time (other than one week, after selling my bike and couldn't get the other one yet), most of the time at least 2. I enjoy riding them, but nearly every time I see someone in a cage do something stupid that could hurt me at the least, or kill me at the worst. TBH, I'd choose the Slingshot 99 times out of 100 for my preferred ride anyway.....

I agree and at my age I don’t heal quite as fast as I used to. Although I feel like I’m losing an old friend and surrendering. Neither one of those are palatable, at this time anyway. I have said this before as well, no one goes by a car accident and says I will never drive a car again. As long as I feel able and safe on the motorcycle more than likely I will keep it. The old girl will sit in the garage until I can sort this out in my head 🙂 but it’s all good.

Edited once, last by SoCal ().