• Back in the early 70's my first car was a used 1964 Porsche 356C. At the time I joined the local sports car club and hung out and competed at events like slaloms and road rally's against Triumphs and MG's. I have great memories of those days and how that car seemed to handle like it was on rails. In the years since that time I have not owned another vehicle that could be considered even close to a sports car or roadster. Now as I am sure you know I am driving my Slingshot and driving this thing on the winding mountain roads very much takes me back to those days, but I am wondering how much of how I remember those days is fact and how much is just romantic memory made bigger by time.

So in an attempt to know I would like to ask you how you think the Slingshot would perform and handle when compared to a classic sports car / roadster from the 60's. Were those cars in the same league when it comes to handling or is that just the fanciful memory of an old man?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I don't think it is even close, just look at cars that were made than and now. The Porsche 911 comes to mind and today's 911 is better in almost every way, more power, better a handling, full of technology, etc.... I think the difference is the feeling you got from the older cars, you felt everything while driving them there for it could be perceived as more fun or exciting. A 60's 911 at 80 mph will feel like you are near the limits of the car while a modern one is just warming up.

Its probably also your memory!! :)

Matthew

• I have to say, my 67 Lotus Europa (in 80) felt amazing. I believe it was the best handling sports car I ever owned. Even so, I’m sure that today’s suspension mods could make it even better. I love my new SS, my wife’s SS and I loved my old SS. But I modded both my suspensions and my wife’s was modded when I got it for her. You can always improve any vehicle. ;)

• I think our handling is still limited by only having one back tire for road grabbing traction...

I’m not crazy about getting real aggressive from some things I’ve experienced already.

That said I’m back on my motorcycle in 1972 enjoying my first taste of open road freedom again.. put on 5000 miles locally since early may...never did that many miles on a motorcycle in one season in all my over 40 years of riding...it’s the coolness factor...

it’s my errand running vehicle...oh no I need X....X ...I’m taking the SS who cares how long and how far...

Looking at the gas gauge ..with a little into two bars left I know $20 fills it.

• My brother in law has a super charged Triumph TR4-A. Should I ask him to race? :)

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Growing up in Canada before the Japanese car import invasion you had the choice of land yachts, muscle cars or English sport cars. MG, MGB, MINI, Triumph etc. Most of these (the affordable ones) had A or B series cast iron engines that varied from 850cc to 1200cc. Moderate power at best. All road tires were bias-ply not radials. Anything over 60 was white knuckle time that left a sh*t eating grin on your face. In retrospect I think they just felt faster as Mathew has explained. I didn't have a lot of money back then so the higher end cars were just a dream. No internet and limited after market performance parts was not like it is now. I remember having to remove the head on one of my Mini's at the side of the road (a pair of plyers, screw driver and an imperial socket set was all that was needed) hitch hiking to the next town and have an exhaust valve replaced. Thumb it back, lay down a new head gasket and elbow torqued it back down. Put in a gallon of water and drove like the wind to my destination. Ah, the good old days. Now if you break down the tool you use is a cell phone and your wallet to fix it.