Fatal Roll-Over news -- Future recall?

• I was one of those charismatic sweet talkers for many, many years! I was paid handsomely for it, however the stress nearly killed me. @Neosolidus is very correct on his statement. The law transformed over the years where justice is not about true justice anymore. Justice is a purchased commodity based on who can afford the slickest lawyer with the most legal network connections. I still believe in people being responsible for their own actions, frivolous lawsuits should be summarily thrown out of court, and if you kill somebody - the court kills you. All these beliefs basically make me a dinosaur and led me to early retirement. As far as a lawsuit - SURE - anybody can sue for anything the days - no matter how stupid - the only thing I really liked and miss was .......BILLABLE HOURS :00008172:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• I hope any of you thinking of installing a 4 point harness won't do it using stock seats.

This can be even more dangerous. Harness must be used with racing seats that have the openings to keep the straps in place and over the shoulders in a frontal collision.

Stock seat don't have any way to keep the straps from putting pressure on the shoulders in a frontal impact which can be fatal if the hit is strong enough to compress the spine by pressing down on the shoulders.

Vi Engineered Turbo (V-Mount)
    Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    Assault Hub / Steering wheel
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    Cipher Race Seats and 4 point harness
    XO Luxury Verona 20x12 Toyo R888 315/35r20, 19x9.5 Toyo R888 265/35R19
    and more...

• Even using racing seats doesn't guarantee your safety due to the tendency of the body to submarine. If you are going for safety, go for a 5 pt.

I should probably add here that we use 4 pt harnesses with the SLR seats, but only when riding the twisties. The only real reason I use them then is to make me feel more secure in the seat and give me less obvious oh shit handles. Again, if "safe" is what you are looking for, this is the wrong vehicle. "Safer" is in the eye of the individual, as is the level of risk and the willingness to assume said risk.

• @sideseatdriver submarining is not more of an issue with a 4 point than stock belts.

The fact is that in a front collision, a 4 point harness is more dangerous than oem belts on stock seats. Of course if the stock belts break because they fail, this is a very bad situation.

Yes the 4 point will keep you planted in the seats in hard driving, but they are dangerous in high G front impact.

Installing a proper 5 point requires to have a seat made for it which has a slot directly under the crotch area (cannot be placed at the edge of the seat), a proper welded hook point on the floor which is $$$ and usually means that the seats cannot move front to back anymore, and is hard to adjust for different driver sizes.

Overall, its more about being safer for most of the situations you might get into. 4 point with stock seats can make a bad situation even worst making a dangerous accident into a deadly accident.

4 point on sports seats is much safer than stock seats with stock belt, 5 points with race seats is very safe but not very practical for daily driving or multiple drivers.

Vi Engineered Turbo (V-Mount)
    Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    Assault Hub / Steering wheel
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    Cipher Race Seats and 4 point harness
    XO Luxury Verona 20x12 Toyo R888 315/35r20, 19x9.5 Toyo R888 265/35R19
    and more...

• I hope any of you thinking of installing a 4 point harness won't do it using stock seats.

Who know? Perhaps this will become a recall issue, identifying the seatbelt as a potential issue. The fix could be a redesign of the seat and have the 4 point harness as a factory item.

Yeah, a costly step, but a potential one for Polaris.

Seeing the Slingshot, one would have almost assumed a 4 point belt was considered by them at one point and they made a cut here due to weight issues.

• if it ends up becoming a recall the only thing I believe we can count on is that the remedy Polaris would use will be THE LEAST EXPENSIVE one that meets the NHTSA minimum requirements. I would expect that IF a systemic problem is found that much like the Takata airbags that only the retractor would be replaced ....... and maybe a new sticker with bolder print between the seats