Emergency brakes for towed vehicles

• I'm considering getting either a tow bar or the tow hoist system from SSBODYKITS....

During my research I found out that many states require auxiliary braking systems if your "towing" weights 1000 pounds or more....this affects us regardless of which method you use ....including actual trailers. Whether your wheels are on the ground or on a trailer.

There are portable braking systems and hard wired systems..

Blue Ox BRK2016 Patriot ll Portable Brake System - By Blue Ox | Hitchsource.com

Not having one will make you illegal....especially if you are traveling through these states..

There was a deadly accident near Pittsburgh a few years ago involving a dump truck towing a big piece of equipment that came loose and slammed into another vehicle head on killing an innocent victim...

So which ever way you are transporting your SS you better look into equipping your towing method with some type of braking system.

• How much research have you done on the topic? What's your solution if your towed vehicle breaks away?

So no uhaul tow dolly ever broke loose?

State laws change all the time....

I'm just passing on info I just read...which surprised me.

It would be a shame to be in another state and have to leave your Towed SS parked on the side of the road or getting a tow truck...not including any possible fine and court date...and or impound fees..

• Because not all states require it not all manufactures are going to supply it. Might I suggest you ask for a custom unit with surge brake kit added for your piece of mind.
    this would make you compliant. No need to question or respond to my post. It's simply a suggestion that you can either take and use or not. It's all your choice.

Edit: as for break-away that is why you always use chains. Crossed in an X so that the trailer neck cannot drop to the ground.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Thanks for your interest @Bigdog remember when researching trailering laws ,
    two things,-
    first- in almost all states and provinces, their State Laws apply only to local manufacturers in that State For example there are some States that say any manufacturers, manufacturing tow dollies in "that" State must include brakes, and I believe that is the requirement you mention over 1000 lbs, but please do not confuse manufacturing requirements of any particular State with the requirements for a person travelling or even based out of that State. That particular requirement specifically applies only to ''MANUFACTURERS" hence UHaul can rent, and people can own in that State, dollies manufactured in another State without brakes.

Second- Manufacturing regs or laws that apply to trailers, unless specified differently, do not apply to dollies or wheel lifts. These are considered a towing operation and not a trailer operation , so one to be current would have to research any regulations regarding towing , or manufacturing of towing equipment.

For example ,As on our wheel lifts, in most States , if not all, and Provinces , it is required when "towing" on a wheel lift that the vehicle towed (lifted) be safety chained directly to a permanent part of the tow vehicle, hence we supply a protected chain that loops through the rim and returns to the towing vehicle, this is separate from , and in addition to, the Ratchet straps that fasten the towed vehicle to the lift.

Unfortunately when I say dollying is a towing operation not a trailering one it is not as clear cut as that in all locales , a very gray area, hence even with our dollies we supply an additional strap that also loops through the rim then fastens to a permanent frame member on that dolly separate from, and in addition to, the ratchet straps fastening the dollied vehicle to the dolly, then the dolly is double safety chained to the towing vehicle. Uhaul does not use an additional strap , manufacturers preference and interpretation I guess.

Hope this helps clarify any questions.

• Thanks Kev, that's why I have a list of pros and cons for the two items you provide.

Pros and cons

Hoist...... vs ...............tow dolly

No tires..........,.... Have to buy wheels and tires
    No inspection............. Might Need plates
    maybe inspection
    No bearings ................ Bigger footprint
    smaller foot print. ..............Needs fenders
    No plates. ...................Needs portable ramp
    No spare tire. .................Need spare tire
    No lights. .........,,..May need aux braking system
    No aux brakes
    Needs air pump