Gopro or other video editing laptop recommendations

• After a very quick glance at that website, I'd say you could find a decent system for between $500 - $800. You could even go cheaper, but at the sacrifice of video editing speed. Personally, I'd prefer a display in the 1920x1080 range, followed by the 1600x900. I'd recommend a system with at least a Quad-core AMD CPU or an Intel I5 or i7 CPU. Generally, AMD CPUs will be less powerful compared to Intel CPUs. An easy way to see what Intel CPU an AMD CPU is equivalent to is to copy the full AMD CPU name listed for the laptop and then do a Google search for that CPU name adding Intel CPU equivalent to the AMD CPU name. The CPU provides the power for editing, but more RAM will make the editing faster. Adding an SSD (I'd recommend at least 250 GB or larger if you choose to add one) can also speed things up.

The CUKUSA | HP Pavilion 17z - Black, AMD A12-9720P, HD+ Notebook PC Laptop [1EX13AV], upgraded to 8 GB RAM should provide decent performance for $505 plus any other extras you might want costs. Adding a 250 GB SSD adds $40, 500GB adds $100. If you really want to splurge, the 1TB SSD is an excellent buy at $190. No external DVD or BD burner is listed, but they might offer the one listed for the unit below. I'd ask if you need an optical burner.

A slightly better choice would be - CUKUSA | HP Pavilion x360 15t Touch i5-7200U Laptop - Silver [X3W72AV]. It's a good performer at its base price of $549.99, although you might want to upgrade to the external Blu-RAY/DVD/CD writer for $60. I particularly like this one as it has an i5-7200 CPU with more power than any AMD CPU except AMD's very newest Ryzen 7 series CPUs and has 1920x1080 full HD display. It also has a Touch screen if you are used to using a tablet.

It's easy to spend more money, but I think the HP Pav ilion x360 represents a decent price/performance sweet spot.

Good Luck figuring out what you want versus what you are willing to spend. :D

Edited 4 times, last by BKL ().

• After a very quick glance at that website, I'd say you could find a decent system for between $500 - $800. You could even go cheaper, but at the sacrifice of video editing speed. Personally, I'd prefer a display in the 1920x1080 range, followed by the 1600x900. I'd recommend a system with at least a Quad-core AMD CPU or an Intel I5 or i7 CPU. Generally, AMD CPUs will be less powerful compared to Intel CPUs. An easy way to see what Intel CPU an AMD CPU is equivalent to is to copy the full AMD CPU name listed for the laptop and then do a Google search for "AMD CPU NAME Intel CPU equivalent" to see its corresponding Intel CPU. Here's an example - AMD A-Series Dual-Core A9-9420 Processor Intel CPU equivalent

Wow.. Thanks for the info... Well at this point I think any new laptop will be an upgrade from what I currently have... I'm willing to spend around a grand if it will mean I will be happy with it for another 7 years or so... If it weren't for video editing, my current laptop would still be perfectly fine for what I need... But now I got kids, taking a lot of HD video with the gopro and phone, so an upgrade is definitely necessary

• Back when I did a lo of video processing, SSD's hadn't been invented yet, so I relied on RAM and my HD. I now have an SSD for my OS and software,. but I try to store my files on an HD to keep space available on the SSD. With the SSD, my PC boots faster than before. Personally, other than faster booting, I'd rather have enough RAM to keep as much of what I'm doing (video software and the video file I'm editing) in RAM since RAM still provides the fastest access. HD is slowest access but cheapest storage cost, followed by SSD and then RAM in terms of cost and performance.

For the 2 systems I referenced earlier, if my budget limited me to the AMD-equipped system, I'd pay a few dollars for an SSD, but I wouldn't be as concerned if I had the faster-performing Intel-equipped system.

If you're willing to spend around $1000+/-, this system - CUKUSA | CUK W650KK1 Business Student Barebones Laptop [W650KK1], can be equipped with an Intel Core i5-7400 Quad Core Processor, 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400MHz DDR4, & Windows 10 Home x64-bit for $899.99. It comes with a much faster graphins process or, too. An even faster Intel i7-7700 CPU can be added for $110 more for maximum power. SSD's can be added to this system for around $110 up, depending on size. The 256 GB SSD is $110. Adding even m more memory might make a bigger performance increase, but would cost $115 or $5 more than adding the 256 GB SSD. Adding the faster CPU and an SSD will add at least $220 to the cost or $335 more if you also max out the RAM at 32 GB and will definitely provide the fastest overall system, but bring total cost to over $1200. The SSD is the cheapest way of adding fast storage and will allow your system to boot faster as well as providing faster access to any software programs or swap space*, but I still favor RAM as the fastest performance addition. *Swap space is where the system stores information it needs to process, but can't keep in RAM. More RAM means more stuff can be kept in active memory for faster processing. I'd assume they setup the system to boot from the SSD since it offers faster access to programs and files than a hard drive. Adding an SSD, but not booting from it is not a cost-effective use of an SSD.

Again, the HP Pavilion x360 system should provide more than adequate performance at a decent price and I don't think it would be a poor choice. Adding more performance can quickly increase overall cost as the above example shows.

Hope this helps.

• You can also get an idea for how much memory you are using by pressing Control-Alt-Delete to bring up the Windows Task Manager and select the Performance Tab. Right now, I'm running the BOINC Manager with SETI@home and MilkyWay@Home projects running in the background along with my Chrome browser and I'm using 3.8GB of 16GB RAM. Before I recently upgrade my CPU/motherboard and RAM, I only had 8 GB RAM, so under the same conditions I would have been using almost 1/2 of my RAM.
    Windows 10 seems to run best with at least 8 GB RAM, but 16 GB is probably even better. If ypu don't have enough RAM, your system will simply use the slower swap space area on your HD or SSD. Generally, speaking you'll still be fine with 8 GB, but 16 GB won't hurt (except for the extra $50 or so for the extra RAM).
    Here's another useful link that looks at various myths common in the PC/Gamning world. It includes info on SSDs, AMD vs Intel CPUS and other useful tips. Debunking Popular PC Myths - GameSpot

• Here is a link to a Groupon offer that offers a laptop that is close to the most expensive laptop I referenced above at a little more than the mid-grade system - B01N11JKA3. Here's a brief description -
    Acer Aspire VX 15 Gaming Laptop, 7th Gen Intel Core i5, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050, 15.6 Full HD (1920 x 1080), 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, VX5-591G-5652 It only has a 256 GB SSD, but Acer is supposed to offer a kit if you want to install a larger size.
    I don't know how long this offer will last.

• @Bill Martin suggested the Spectre x360 which is different from the Pavilion x360 I originally recommended from the CUKUSA website. Here is a link to a search of HP's website that lists all of the x360 models from the different lines - Search Result | HP® Official Store. Just remember to stick with an i5 or i7 CPU as some of the x360 laptops come with slower, general-purpose i3 CPUs.

• Got this email today from PCMagazine. Not a bad deal for the money. Good CPU, average display resolution, but a good price for what you get. Don't know how long it will be available.
    Normally 799.99 USe Coupon Code EXTRA320 to get sale price of $479.99

Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Intel Core i7-7500U 15.6" Windows 10 Pro Laptop

?e5e2987d=MzM0MTQxNQ==&c73c8e04=dGVjaGRlYWw=&4f415564=MjI4NDEzMg==&x=e0604890

This is one of the cheapest laptops we've seen in the market, with the newest Intel 7th-gen Core i7 "Kaby Lake" processor. It offers excellent value for your money in this featured 8GB RAM + 1TB Hard Drive configuration. You have the option to do some easy after-market upgrades to add more memory or a Solid State Drive if you so desire. If this laptop is intended to be a desktop replacement, you won't care too much about the 720p screen - since you'd probably use an external monitor anyway. To top it off, you don't have to wait long to get the laptop delivered, as it's ready to ship in a few business days.
    7th-gen Core i7 Kaby Lake
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OS
    8GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive
    15.6" 1366x768 Glossy
    Removable 4-cell Battery
    DVD Burner, WiFi + BT
    1yr McAfee, USB 3.0
    HDMI 1.4, Card Reader

• I ditched my personal laptop when the iPad Pro came out... All my videos are made on it (further, the software available is amazing for GoPro editing and it's wicked fast). Buy iPad Pro - Apple

At $800 ~> it's where I would put my money...
    *And before everyone gets on the whole (PC vs Mac thing) ~> There's nothing you can do on a PC that I can't do on my iPad Pro (except get viruses... we don't do viruses)!

APPLE FTW!!! :thumbsup:

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• Alienware 17 R4 Around 1,200

CPU: Intel Core i7 | Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (2GB GDDR5) – GTX 1080 (8GB GDDR5)
    | RAM: 8GB – 32GB | Screen: 17.3-inch, FHD (1,920 x 1,080) – UHD (3,840 x 2,160) IPS anti-glare 300-nits
    | Storage: 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD – 2TB SSD, 1TB HDD

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• I ditched my personal laptop when the iPad Pro came out... All my videos are made on it (further, the software available is amazing for GoPro editing and it's wicked fast). Buy iPad Pro - Apple

At $800 ~> it's where I would put my money...
    *And before everyone gets on the whole (PC vs Mac thing) ~> There's nothing you can do on a PC that I can't do on my iPad Pro (except get viruses... we don't do viruses)!

APPLE FTW!!! :thumbsup:

Not a fan of Apple... (and they do get viruses Btw)

• I'm pleased to report that I run fully boxed ~> and sand free! LOL

The trip was great! We saw some really cool stuff and met-up with a bunch of friends. I would so love to round up a bunch of us and head back... ~> Bangkok is freak'n awesome!

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png