Conservative Politics & Daily Events Discussion

So this happened ....

We vote in FL by absentee ballot. Never can tell if we will be here on election day and our poling place is at a location where we don't think it should be ..... but that is a whole 'nother conversation.

FL has a good system. You request a ballot and are issued a tracking number. When the ballot is mailed to you it is tracked, when you send it back it is tracked, when it is received by the Supervisor of Elections office it is tracked. when they accept/verify signature it is tracked, and when it is counted it is tracked. You have access to all of this online or at the Elections office. If for some reason it fails to be counted you can file a provisional ballot. Have never had a problem in the 20+ years we have been doing it.

So our ballots where received Monday September 28th. We filled them out and mailed them directly from out local Post Office. Walked them in and handed them to the Postal worker. Mine was received and checked in October 1st as well as verified the same day. So it sits to be counted. After a week my Wife's has not shown up, tracking ended when we received it. So we contacted the Supervisor of elections office and they are sending out a replacement ballot that we have to hand deliver to the Elections Office to be checked in. So much for mail in voting. No idea where it went or if it will ever show up. The Post Office had to move it all of 10 miles. The lady on the phone actually said that the same has already been happening a lot and they have received ballots from other counties this year. She volunteered that informative freely.

Friends this is happening with an existing system that other states use as a model for their mail in voting. So please if you are mailing in your ballot do it early and verify, verify, verify. If there is any doubt she can always go in person but I can't imagine what is going to happen in states that are not used to a high number of mailed ballots or are 100% mail in for the first time.

............. tenor.gif

....... bored-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• My wife and I have voted absentee for years and our system works very much like yours - we can go online and easily check to see if our ballots have been received and if it has been verified and accepted - - the one thing we cant check is if our votes on the different items on the ballot are actually recorded the way we marked them on the ballot - as far as we know the election workers could be recording them completely differently

I have always trusted that they are counted correctly, but then again this is California and as such just about everyone involved in the process is a liberal so how do I actually know them what I mark is actually what they count????

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• My wife and I have voted absentee for years and our system works very much like yours - we can go online and easily check to see if our ballots have been received and if it has been verified and accepted - - the one thing we cant check is if our votes on the different items on the ballot are actually recorded the way we marked them on the ballot - as far as we know the election workers could be recording them completely differently

I have always trusted that they are counted correctly, but then again this is California and as such just about everyone involved in the process is a liberal so how do I actually know them what I mark is actually what they count????

Well we do now have observers from each party (typically lawyers at the larger locals) at every tabulation location and it is all automated. Stacks of ballots are fed in to the machines with the only handling being loading them or hand checking any rejected by the machine so I guess it is as safe as voting in person given that PB and Broward have "misplaced" in person voting machines or had them lose their memory in the past ....... bored-squared

you are correct....you should be able to verify if your ballot has be tampered with and that the person you voted for actually got that vote....the tracking Number stuff is A smoke screen to make you believe your ballot was safe. Sure we sent it, Sure you got it, Sure you mailed it back and Sure we got it......now forget it ever happened because there are no checks once it gets in our hands.....if we want to Lie cheat and steal an election....

some people in Pittsburgh got ballots and there was no choice for president on them...they claimed it was a printing error and the election is safe....first of all that printing company should never be allowed to print ballots Ever again. Second, Who’s checking them once they are delivered from the printer? The most important part of the ballot and nobody is responsible to make sure what they got from the printer is correct? That person/s should never be allowed to work with ballots ever again...This is so much BS....by a corrupt system and political party...

Well we do now have observers from each party (typically lawyers at the larger locals) at every tabulation location and it is all automated. Stacks of ballots are fed in to the machines with the only handling being loading them or hand checking any rejected by the machine so I guess it is as safe as voting in person given that PB and Broward have "misplaced" in person voting machines or had them lose their memory in the past ....... bored-squared

just for the record....an FBI lawyer made some changes to the FISA court application to spy on the a Trump, campaign.....I would have felt better if you said they were monitored by crack addicts....

• are you referring to universal mail in ballots? If so, how do you verify the signature?

you sign your name when you register to vote....they check the signatures on the ballots with the one in the registry...Even still a slanted poll worker could say he doesn’t think it’s the same....the processs still sucks.....we need national voter ID...

• you are correct....you should be able to verify if your ballot has be tampered with and that the person you voted for actually got that vote....the tracking Number stuff is A smoke screen to make you believe your ballot was safe. Sure we sent it, Sure you got it, Sure you mailed it back and Sure we got it......now forget it ever happened because there are no checks once it gets in our hands.....if we want to Lie cheat and steal an election....

some people in Pittsburgh got ballots and there was no choice for president on them...they claimed it was a printing error and the election is safe....first of all that printing company should never be allowed to print ballots Ever again. Second, Who’s checking them once they are delivered from the printer? The most important part of the ballot and nobody is responsible to make sure what the got from the printer is correct? That person/s should never be allowed to work with ballots ever again...This is do much BS....by a corrupt system and political party...

this is not just a potential issue with mail in voting either - - when you vote at a polling location you drop your ballot in the box and then entrust it to others to carry to the location where votes are actually counted and then you have to trust the people there to actually count it correctly.

I can recall several times in the past when huge numbers of ballots have gone missing between the polling place and the location where they were supposed to be counted only to be found days later after the election either thrown away or sitting in some workers car where they were forgotten

fact is the entire voting process be it in person voting at polling locations or by mail relies on us trusting others to properly deliver our ballots and to count them correctly

• are you referring to universal mail in ballots? If so, how do you verify the signature?

how do the verify the signature when you drop it in a box at a polling place? - - the fact it is not mailed and dropped in person does not make it much if any more secure

• How does a bank verify your signature on a check that you wrote?

I assume the computer has some kind of OCR (optical character recognition) software.

Kind of like what the USPS has in their mail sorting machines for hand filled out envelopes.

I assume........

• you sign your name when you register to vote....they check the signatures on the ballots with the one in the registry...Even still a slanted poll worker could say he doesn’t think it’s the same....the processs still sucks.....we need national voter ID...

We are notified if that happens and can file an affidavit in person to "heal" the ballot and have it counted. The signature on the affidavit is then what the Elections office uses going forward.

Happened to my Wife in '16 after her accident and the loss of most of the use of her right arm. Her signature was unrecognizable for the first few years. Now you basically can't even tell she has a disability as far as her handwriting goes.

.... nerd-squared

• I did absentee ballot today and they asked for an ID to verify who I was. How do they do that with universal mailed out ballots?

from what I can find only 6 states have a strict voter photo ID requirement - - most other states either have no ID requirement or a very lax non photo ID requirement.

I havent voted in person for several years, but in the past when I have all they did was ask my name and address where they then looked on their list and found me and marked it that i had voted

I would actually think that having my signature on file and then comparing it to the one on a mail in ballot is more secure than simply asking my name and address

• How does a bank verify your signature on a check that you wrote?

I assume the computer has some kind of OCR (optical character recognition) software.

Kind of like what the USPS has in their mail sorting machines for hand filled out envelopes.

I assume........

The check has a bank code on it. If your acct is charged and you did not write/sign the check, only a fool would not notify the bank. Your example is not very convincing.

• As a side note - if someone wanted to fraudulently vote and there were an ID requirement how tough is it to get a fake ID that would fool a poll worker.

Heck, growing up as a kid almost everyone I knew had a fake ID at one point it their life that was good enough to get them in a bar where the guy at the door was much better at checking ID's than some 87 year old poll worker