the radio - - is it just me?

• My SL has the stock radio and it seems to have some issues. the first, which I think is common, is bad reception. I have seen that they sell signal boosters and thats great, but the second issue that I am having is more bothersome to me. Seems like sometimes it just fails to boot. I start the sling and drive and suddenly I notice that it isnt playing. and then suddenly it will start. the other day I jumped in and started it and it never did anything - it was like a frozen computer - push the buttons and nothing, restart the sling and it is fine. I suspect it might have something to do with the automatic volume control feature so today I turned it off to see what happens - dont know yet. I know that many people here are not happy with this stock system. Are my issues common? if so would you try warranty repair or would you just shell out the cash for something better?

If "something better os the only good option what would you recommend that is waterproof and reasonably priced? - I am not looking to have some audiophile system in my sling - I just want some tunes and a backup camera

Thanks

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I had issues like this too and after a week the entire radio died, stopped booting.
    Went to the dealership and they said it's sometimes common on these (my ss was at that time 1 month old) . Replaced under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

• I tried my radio the day I drove it home. Haven't turned it on again for the radio itself. I bluetooth to my Ipod touch for music. It still has limits for sure, but that works.... um.... OK. I have a good friend that has added an amp, and the speaker behind the seat in the roll hoop filler. The amp had front and rear channels, so he put power to the stock speakers also. It sounds really good, and is likely the way I will go (winter project). Total cost was a little under $700 for that. With the Rockford amp and Rockford 6 1/2" speakers, you can definitely hear it!

This issue has had maybe a million posts since the first SL hit the road ...... confused-squared

The reception problem is the type of antenna used, its placement, and interference from the LED's and camera in the tail ...

I put a $30 dipole marine antenna under the dash and added RF filters on the taillight and camera leads (also the LED headlights and light bar after I added them) most LED's run on the same frequencies as popular FM stations right in the middle of the dial so if you have added LED's or especially light bars they will just make it worse if you don't add filters.... the stock system now has as good FM reception as any car I have owned. Granted I am not in the mountains but it has worked perfectly for two years. ( Tune Trapper Hidden AM FM Antennas For Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Stereos, Radios )

The booting problem...see @Tripod s post above ..... Upgrade the speakers in the stock boxes (did that too) and it works just fine in all conditions for those that don't need or want their system to double as a defibrillator ....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• @Orangeman - where did you hide the tune trapper antenna- in the tail or in the dash?

Did you use the stock anteywire or use the wire that comes with the antenna?

In the dash ... just under the bodywork, as high as it can be placed ... I wanted to keep it as far away from the LED's as possible.
    I used an antenna splitter so both the stock and new antenna are connected to the stock antenna lead. I disconnected the stock antenna as an experiment and the new antenna worked fine alone but I had already had the splitter installed so plugged them both back in just because...OCD ya know ..... wink-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......