Summit Point, WV Track Day (Sun, Jun 18th 2016, 7:00am - 6:00pm) (Sun, Jun 18th 2017, 7:00am - 7:00pm)

Date

Summit Point, WV Track Day (Sun, Jun 18th 2016, 7:00am - 6:00pm)

Sun, Jun 18th 2017, 6:00 am - 6:00 pm

201 Motorsports Park Cir, Summit Point, WV 25446, USA

Participants

5 participants, 30 undecided and 4 do not participate

Closing Date: Jun 18th 2017, 6:00 am
  • Oh for those of you that caught @ethermion's mention of my truck woes...

Some poor guy had his canopy tent get away from him with a gust of wind and it found it's way into the bed of my truck with one of the legs sticking through where I used to have a window. So for now I'm rocking this new mod to my Tundra... ;(

Good thing you have a slingshot. You can handle no rear visibly.

• My GoPro died on me :(. So no videos from me. Sucks I had a lot of great runs. Lucas should have me on film a few times but when I ran toe to toe with the Tanom that would have been amazing footage.

• Anyone like to ride along with me. Happy to take you for a spin on the track.

I will be boosted for the next track day. So anyone that did ride with me. Ohhhh boy you should jump back in that seat for another ride.

• Looks like you all had fun! Track days are the best. I wish there were more people around AZ that liked to do them so I had more company. It is always more fun in a group.

Too bad @hrmiracle couldn't get some rubber down in that little grocery getter snake! ;) ha

If you guys are going to do this often, you would be amazed what dedicated track tires can do! It really changes the experience and makes the machine much faster and safer. Less cool schreeching sounds though....

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• I do have video of the session you rode with me, but I believe that the camera was mounted on the hood for that one. Either way I still have the data to go with it, I'll get it posted as soon as I can. Probably be this weekend.

No hurry and bumper view is fine. I'm just curious how the data syncs with the video. Thanks!

my speedo got well above 100 on the track

I knew it had too to be. If I had to guess, it felt like 110-115 on long straight during that last session. On my runs, I was barely breaking 90 before backing off for the turn. I might have been able to push it to 95, but stock brakes don't inspire as much confidence as your Big Brake kit and my acceleration rate drops quickly once I pass 80 on the speedo.

you can run the whole track in 3rd

You can, but I couldn't bear the red-line screaming at me on the straights. Also, my tires (stock Kendas) seemed to lose more grip in the tighter turns, unless I dropped to 2nd. I think it was a difference of being at the high, fading end of the torque curve versus the low, building end when working the throttle. In some cases, I lost all grip which is how I ended up in the grass at the top of the corkscrew, after the Karussel. No harm, but serious pucker factor. I felt bad for the guy riding with me. Once I regained control in the grass, I grinned at him and yelled "OOOPS!" as I pulled a tight loop and bounded back on the track. To his credit, he just shrugged, gave me a thumbs up, and grinned right back. :thumbup:

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

• The gray base sling, that appears to be parked, is me. I was not parked. I was just letting the monsters pass.

Once the monsters were out of my hair, I had the track to myself. Put that to good use, I did. Learn the track, learn the tricks.

Watch out for me this fall.

Yes, @Jdin is one of the monsters. Stock, 'cept for CAI, and exhaust. He will be boosted next time, so don't expect to see him in Rocky's rear view.

And, I didn't eat grass. Surprised to hear that @Gadgeteer ate grass - he didn't admit in person. Puts me in an exclusive club. Eating grass is undesirable.

• Let's see how this puppy handles off-road, here, hold my beer!!

You guys can see @Jdin driving like a sumamabitch here!!

DAamn!!! That was fun!!! I put the video up on the big screen and I swear I was right there, beside you, leaning into each turn with ya!!! Thanks for sharing @TheRock!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• That is a very good idea... I still need to learn the track. Gives you time to really manage and tweak your skills.

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

Damn @Jdin!! You know that track like the back of your hand. Did you catch air @TheRock?.....looked a little bumpy.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

I remember that run... @Jdin had to be really focused when he was behind you... that quick "S" is rough!

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,

• yes @Jdin knows that track VERY well. He it every curve .... precisely - going in and coming out of the turn. Finding the Apex just about every time.

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,

• That is a very good idea... I still need to learn the track. Gives you time to really manage and tweak your skills.

Yup. You are disinclined to step on the gas if you don't know what's over the hill.

Did pretty good by my standards the last few sessions, though the last lap of the last session I was plumb tuckered out. Just waved at the spotters and rolled gently into the pit. While the track has nice clean showers to tidy up before heading out, what I needed was a cot and a nap.

• If you watch the rearview camera, you see that the gray Invader was behind me. I was spending more time watching him in my sideview mirror than paying attention to the track. That second session of the day was my worst one! There are still 4 more runs I have to do and I'll be posting them as soon as I can.

• Surprised to hear that @Gadgeteer ate grass - he didn't admit in person.

I thought I did. Sorry if I didn't. Every time I came off the track my head was still making one more lap. It would take a little while before it caught up with me in the paddock. ^^

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams