Turbo compatible parts

• I've looked around from here and other site and i can't seem to find a direct answer both from owner and vendor regarding parts that is both compatible with non-turbo and turbo sling.

I see a lot of people selling their old exhaust since they've gotten a turbo and need a new set up. I'm eager to buy their old parts, but i don't want to end up in their shoe in the future where i'll be selling the same parts when i do get turbo or supercharge.

Without further ado, can someone list all parts ( intake, header, exhaust, etc) that will work with turbo and non turbo sling? Reviews after the install too would be plus!

Turbo ...... nothing on the intake or exhaust side other than the 1320 2nd gen header on the Alpha standard turbo system ...

Supercharger .... nothing on the intake side .... most anything will work on the exhaust side (a few exceptions, like the JonV header) but better flowing is ...... better ..... confused-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• i don't think i'm ready for a turbo yet, but at this time i wanted to buy parts that can wake up the beast inside my SS, (sound and HP gain) for now, and in time, when in ready, i can just buy the turbo and install it without ripping the set up i have now.

• Parts interchangeability varies by turbo/SC vendor. If you go SC, most setups do not include an exhaust system, although stock can be used with at least some of the SC systems. Alpha, IIRC, is designed to be used with either the stock or (a) certain aftermarket manifold(s). Hahn turbo systems use a Hahn-designed intake manifold. Generally speaking, each turbo vendor offers compatible exhaust systems. Welter offers universal exhausts systems for forced induction that should work with any forced induction system, but I don't know if the the available ECU flashes for the various turbo/Sc systems have been or need any mods to enhance the Welter turbo exhaust performance.

• Not much you're going to be able to do if you eventually want to upgrade to turbo/SC. Hell, even the Cold Air intake guys end up having to sell them off afterwards. You'd do just as well to save up your cash until you can afford the forced air induction system of choice and just use the SS in it's current stock form. Nothing wrong with it that way. :thumbup:

• i don't think i'm ready for a turbo yet, but at this time i wanted to buy parts that can wake up the beast inside my SS, (sound and HP gain) for now, and in time, when in ready, i can just buy the turbo and install it without ripping the set up i have now.

A simple suggestion would be to contact Noel at Cycle Springs. He can sell you a turbo system that has tons of power. He can set it up at a low boost now (2 or 3 pounds) and when you're ready to uncork the beast, a simple spring change in the waste gate gets you 7 to 9 pounds of boost and close to 300 horsepower to the rear wheel. That way you get the best of both worlds. You don't waste money buying parts you can't use later. You drive it now with more power, but a lot less than you'll have later.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• hahn offers their turbo in Stage 1 (no intercooler, lower boost) and in Stage 2 (intercooler and higher boost). They also offer an upgrade kit to go from Stage 1 to Stage 2. Also, keep an eye out for Hahn's "Slightly Wamr" specials where they offer a trrasded-in, used exhaust FREE with purchase of a Stage 2 system. That's what I did. and got my Hahn Stage 2 turbo setup w/exhaust for a little over $4K with shipping. The other systems (turbo or SC) star around $4900 w/o exhaust system.
    SCs are good fro general boost and reduce risk of exploding your engine. Turbos offer a faster boost, but things can go wrong if not monitored carefully.

• sounded like what the other guy was talking about noel. Also, isn't it the other way around that turbo plays it safe for the engine, while supercharge has a risk of blowing the engine?

Ya got that there bassasswards .......... grin-squared

SC is "safer" ....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Turbos can fluctuate in their boost output based on the surge of exhaust gases, for example. More exhaust gases, more boost and it feeds on itself. Limiting factors such as exhaust restrictions, etc., notwithstanding.
    Scs boost is directly related to engine rpm and doesn't really vary as the SC speed is determined by how fast the belt spins in a direct relationship to engine rpms.

• I'll preface it with I have the Alpha Supercharger and love it. I'll tell you, you can't go wrong with either Alpha or DDM Works. You'll want 2.5 inch exhaust with either.

Alpha Supercharger is still spinning fine... it gets rode hard, every time.

• If you want more power while trying to preserve reliability, I'd be careful going over 300 HP with the stock motor. The 2007 or so motor had stronger rods and could handle more HP, but the rods in our motors are generally felt to be safe only to around 75 HP per rod or 300 overall. Anything more risks damage to the stock motor. IIRC, this was a topic of discussion on the old forum, aka The Dark Side.

• @RaiAvila if you go with either DDM or Alpha, the tune is provided for you with the purchase of system. I'm running Alpha Turbo and have the boost at around 9-10 pounds. Just like @BKL mentioned. Anything above that on a stock motor and you're asking for trouble. So yeah, in the neighborhood of 300 hp is what you can safely and reliably run on these engines.