Haltech Elite first start-up!

• I just finished setting up the Haltech Elite 1500 in my Sling, and got it to start without blowing anything up. Yé.

Works very well. I have still some work to do, but I can confirm that it works with the EPAS system, the oem dash works too.

I am the first person to test the quick connect harness production version, and I have submitted some corrections for their instructions that where wrong (some I/O assignements where incorrect) and they responded by actually making a firware update for the ECU to support timings from the LE9 and SS Config (version 2.17).

Talk about turn around!

I have rented a dyno for an entire day in 2 weeks, and looking forward to dialing this machine in.

Till then, here are some shots from the process:

Getting everything layed out:

Close up of the quick connect plugs, they are solid and heavy and very well sealed:

Firmware update to support LE9 timings:

Working on I/O assignements for the SS, as Haltech didn't have this for now (guess who will give it to them hmmm... lol)

Getting the IQ3 dash to work is as easy as plugging it in the ecu... You can even keep the oem dash if you want, and use cluster for additional information.

Also testing the Analog out for the AEM Wideband, works #1.

Some misc shots of the ESP software screen.

Got the engine started, so now next step is the set the base timing of the engine, so I need to buy a timing light. Oh well...

Vi Engineered Turbo (V-Mount)
    Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    Assault Hub / Steering wheel
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    Cipher Race Seats and 4 point harness
    XO Luxury Verona 20x12 Toyo R888 315/35r20, 19x9.5 Toyo R888 265/35R19
    and more...

• @MiM I am in Montreal, Quebec. Whenever you feel like dropping by, you are welcome.

The first install is always the hardest. Once I will have done it on mine, replicating on others will be easier.

Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    and more...

• @MiM I do love those seats.

Maybe in January after when I get it painted I will swap out the seats. Right now everything matches so I will stick with it.
    Need to open up my exhaust next so I can max out the hp. I figure if I drive fast enough no one will notice my seats.
    I have a stereo that will fit right in that cubby hole if you need it. Make me an offer!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Need speakers and pods first @MACAWS... For now, rocking the Braven Bluetooth speaker on a RAM mount... I do use the storage cubby though...

@iNewton, what do you do for sound? Looking at your Sling, and thinking the intended purpose is to obliterate anything that attempts to go toe to toe with it, I'm guessing sound isn't a concern for you, but thought I'd ask anyway...

• Need speakers and pods first @MACAWS... For now, rocking the Braven Bluetooth speaker on a RAM mount... I do use the storage cubby though...

@iNewton, what do you do for sound? Looking at your Sling, and thinking the intended purpose is to obliterate anything that attempts to go toe to toe with it, I'm guessing sound isn't a concern for you, but thought I'd ask anyway...

I think he just sings - you know like those singing Mounties

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• iNewton

Nice work. Can't wait to see that all dialed in.
    Exactly what data can you direct to the digital dash?

I am not sure yet, still haven't played with the dash other than plug it in and turn it on.

Looking at the config software, which doesn't look fun to play with, it looks like you can display pretty much any channel you want, plus the dash has 4 "pages" that you can switch from, and setup you display different for each page (ex: for racing, speed isn't really necessary, RPM is more important, shift lights etc) so you can configure pages to suit different scenarios.

Once I have it instaled I will show you what it can do.

@MiM yeah, speakers... It would only add weight lol. I have speakers in my helmet though they sound meh, and anyways with my exhaust being a 12 inch resonator straight from the turbo, I don't see any use to getting sound out of there to add on top of all this lol.

Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    and more...

• Here are pics of final installation of the ecu inside the glovebox. Main advantage of doing it like this is that

1) you can lock the box and not get the ecu stolen (happened to a budy of mine, got his oem ecu stolen... Wtf)

2) much much cooler than sitting in the engine bay

3) opens up space in the engine bay for oil cooler etc.

4) easy access to wiring, ecu etc.

Now, the provided harness from haltech is much too long for this, they initially assumed poeple would install it in the footwell ceiling, but I didn't like that idea.

I have advised them to offer a shorter harness for guys who would like to copy this setup. I don't have a radio in my center console so I can hide the extra harness wire there, but this might be an issue for SS with a radio in there.

Here is a pic of how I got the harness to come in the glove box:

Cutting the plastic is very easy, just using a basic solid cutter blade.

Test fitting the ecu, i have one hole lined up with the rib on the ceilling of the box, to setup the angle to be able to not bend the harness too much and cause stress on the wires and plug, and making sure glove box can close.

The I used plastic spacers for the 3 other holes to fill the gaps, and screwed it into the plastic of the top. Note the two rear screws need to be pretty long. The 2 front ones, not so much.

Here I wired up the ends of the boost solenoid to a deutsch sealed connector, makes replacing components easier if need be:

The Haltech harness has provisions for aux connectors for inputs and outputs the Elite has available and not used by the SS, so I made a harness for hooking up my AEM wideband to it, along with the boost controler solenoid:

I still have 3 other digital outs I can use.

This is the final connections made and finished for the ecu installation in the box:

Here you see how long (too long) the harness is after its connected to the ecu in glove box.

Now for the mefi connectors, I took out the bracket for the fuse box and ecu, and cut off the part where the ecu normally sits. More space for other things, and it doesn't look like there is unused stuff there:

Then, the mefi connectors have been tucked back into the center console so that they don't show in the engine bay anymore. Connect the haltech harness to the mefi connectors, tuck neetly in center dash, and that is it for installing a Haltech in your SS if you keep your oem dash (which will work out of the box btw):

Now next step here is setup of the IQ3 dash that will replace my cluster.

Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    and more...

• here is pic of engine bay with mefi connectors magicaly gone:

Gonna make setup of oil cooler lines much simpler.

Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    and more...

• He is the advancement on the dash installation.

I am no fabricator, but I did come up with a nice way to install the racepak IQ3 in the dash and almost make it look stock...

I got a small body panel repair metal sheet from local harware store and using metal scissors, made a bracket that would replace the clusters.

I cut out the center portion of the dash to fit the IQ3, this is a test fit of the setup

My tools for this job lol

Then got some carbon fiber wrap and covered the bracket with it:

Using 90 deg aluminum to hold the entire setup in sandwitch

Reinstalled to the column cover

Now just need to reinstall my assault steering (which for some stupid reason is now trigger the horn by itself...)

Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    and more...

• I had the same issue after installing a new steering wheel, the problem was where the wires came out of the steering column I grated a short so whenever I moved the steering wheel the horn went of. I used some

I had the same problem after I installed a new steering wheel, when ever I turned it the horn went off. I shortened one of the wire which comes out of the steering column, so I pushed some bathroom silicon in to it that took care of it because it is also an insulator. I did this 4 month ago and still no problem.

Do not resent growing old. Many are denied.... The Privilege :REDSS: :SUPERCHARGERSS: : :HEADERSS: : :COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch

• Good looking work your doing...your a patient with some skills my friend!

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• I think I have found someone that takes his slingshot apart more than I do..... :D:D

@iNewton that looks like a factory setup. Give us some picture of the gauges and what data they are able to show you.

I still have a lot of work to do on the dash for configuration, but it can display pretty much anything you want. You can flip thru 4 "pages" of data using a switch so you could have one config with speed, rpm, fuel afr etc for street use, another one that replaces speed with oil temp or what ever, its really customizable.

The way my dash is set for the moment, I have external gauges for oil temp and oil pressure on left pillar, water temp and voltage on right pillar (which I will get rid of, the haltech already displays this), center mounted is EGT, dash mounted is my AEM failsafe wideband which is also hooked up to the haltech using the analog out of the AEM. I like having the external gauge just in case, also easier to read the AFR color (I set mine for green between 10 and 13, yellow from 13 to 15, and red beyond 15, so that I just make sure it lights green when I am at WOT).

Once I get everything working I will post pics and vid.

And btw, for that part about taking the SS appart, this engine was built in my garage remember ? ;p

Probably would have went the DDM way if they offered the engine when I started this project, but at the time, no one was offering pnp built engines, so I did it myself.

Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    and more...

Edited once, last by iNewton ().