Boy Does the SS Pull a Trailer!

• I also found it really helps with hidroplaning. When we drove to Maggie Valley NC in May we drove throught a torrential downpour from Palistine Tx till Shreveport La and never missed a beat. I guess it was the extra weight on the rear end.

• Yes I can... What I can also vouch for is the quality of workmanship on this hitch. You all need to realize another thing.....that trailer he's pulling behind his Sling.....he built that sucker as well. Served as a camper for him and his daughter as well as tool trailer for installs during the SS across america kickoff. Very talented man..... My hat's off to you @RichArlt :thumbup::thumbsup:

• While I can certainly vouch for how well the SS handles while pulling a trailer, I am a Farm Boy at heart, and I would be concerned with the weight of what you are pulling.

The weight of the trailer is dangerously close to the weight of the slingshot. I will assume that you have a braking system installed as well with this unit? Dual or single axle? While Polaris will tell you that the Slingshot isn't designed to pull anything, a good rule of thumb is to not exceed 1/3 the weight of the machine holding it to the ground.

Just because you can pull something, doesn't mean you should.

Simply my $0.02. I am only expressing my concerns with weight distribution and what would happen with stopping distance if those brakes failed on the trailer.

• Thanks for the $.02 MB ......from one farm boy to another.........if you only knew! Trailer weighed in at 1,087 lbs on this test run, no trailer brakes. I would assume you took a few risks out on the farm???

Actually, I am the self appointed "testthewhollyhelloutofyourSS" with the Wycked Hitch System Testor (or testee?)

Certain factions (that I cannot name) have requested I do this testing. Of course I need to put up a disclaimer that this was done by a non professional driver, on a public road, in a stock Polaris Slingshot.

As the manufacturer of the hitch, I have to test every crazy scenario that somebody might try to pull if they install our hitch! I've done it all, and I am confident that if they stick to our recommendations, and do not exceed load limits there will be no issues! That being said, there are those out there who will actually try to tow an inboard boat I imagine, hence the two-million-dollar product liability policy we have taken out!

• FYI, we are the only hitch that is approved and installed by the 2 largest dealers in the country. Cycle Springs in Florida, and now Bert's Mega Mall in Southern, CA.

Another interesting fact; I did not have to tap the brakes more than 3 times during the 2 miles of the road that this was filmed on, and I could slow that thing to safe speeds by shifting down. Our top speed was no higher than 35 miles per hour on the downhill portions......50+ uphill.

Another testing note; My "brake failure" light came on a few times over the 2,500 mile trip when we had to stop quickly in heavy traffic. The cruise control does not work if that light is on. I learned I can just switch the ignition off, turn it back on, and pop the clutch while moving to start the engine and everything resets. The brakes and steering work fine with the engine off by the way.

I'm telling you first hand, the SS is one amazing machine! I have over 18,000 miles on mine now.....I have not been nice to it either! Time for an oil change and some checks to the drive assembly.

• As the manufacturer of the hitch, I have to test every crazy scenario that somebody might try to pull if they install our hitch! I've done it all, and I am confident that if they stick to our recommendations, and do not exceed load limits there will be no issues! That being said, there are those out there who will actually try to tow an inboard boat I imagine, hence the two-million-dollar product liability policy we have taken out!

Ok, for testing purposes and trying to see just what you can and can not do, I can see where you are coming from now.

For me, I was simply seeing a similar weight ratio to the SS and was thinking.....I've seen this scenario before...... I would be so concerned about the push from the trailer against the single tire. There just isn't enough rubber on the ground.

But, as you say, you are testing limits on purpose. And yes, someone will do it if you don't.

• There is no push on the single rear tire with our Wycked Hitch System. We engineered the hitch like a 5th wheel system used on pick-up trucks. The attachment points on the SS's tubular steel frame are centered and up high on the frame to aid in emergency trailering stops. In all of our tests with hard braking, the weight of the tow load is disbursed to the front wheels/brakes through the attachment points, (it actually feels like the front end of the SS is being pushed downward). The hitch frame is engineered to help stop a trailer and the SS quickly and safely, and it is guaranteed to out perform any other hitch on the market.

The physics of stopping a trailered load with a 3 pt. braking system are quite complicated. We feel confident that we have come up with the best solution.