Let's Play . . . . "Name That Leak" (Transmission Leak)

• That's right! It's time to play "Where is that leak coming from!"

So, I've noticed a couple drops of "red-ish" fluid in my garage. Didn't think much of it, figured just coolant. Nothing more than a drop or two. Nope.

While I had the SS jacked up to replace the brakes, I found this nice puddle. It's dripping off the bottom of the transmission but dang if I can tell where it comes from. Seems to be just aft of the engine/transmission joint. You can see the drops forming on the bottom of the trans in pic #2 below.

I wiped it all up - and then another bigger puddle appeared in the same spot - without moving or starting the SS. I got under there with a flash light and ran my hand around but could not find where the leak is coming from. I noticed the oil pan was really filthy/greasy - guessing from coolant overflow and road dirt, but that doesn't seem to be the source of the leak.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm going to jack up the SS even higher and get under there again tonight but any thoughts where to look would be helpful. The normal spots (drain plug, sensor, etc) all seem good. I'm going to check the rear seal too.

• I'm no tech but if I were to guess I'd go with a possible crack in the pan. Could be invisible to the eye and allow leakage when not running. Perhaps when you lifted it it changed the angle enough to increase the flow from what you saw previously, or flexed the frame enough to open it up more.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Thanks All. I'll check again. I do have the DDM coolant tank, and I noted it was low, but I will check again. Really confusing that it was on the transmission and that it is red, not orange.

If you have a turkey baster, pull a little coolant from the tank and put it next to the leak on the ground, should match. Coolant leaking down the back of the engine gets on the transmission bell housing and collects on that seem on the transmission.

• Well, Good News and Bad News:

• Bad News: I never actually found a leak.
    • Good News: The puddle didn't get any larger from yesterday.
    • Gooder News: I found that the hose clamp from the reservoir to the water pump was loose. I put about 2 good terns into the hose clamp. I also went around and tightened all the hose clamps.
    • Best News: After a few mile drive (you know, to set the brakes), no more leak has appeared.

So, Winner Winner Chicken Dinner (until I find out otherwise):

That is coolant, most likely a leak somewhere toward the back of the engine, coolant tank connections, etc.

I'm guessing that the newest puddle may have been created when I lifted the engine to get the header in. Maybe just lifting the motor 1" put enough strain on that lower tank hose to let quite a bit leak out. Finger's crossed that's all it was.

BTW, when I mopped up the puddle with a paper towel, it definitely looked Red, maybe a little on the lighter side, but not orange. Unless my color blindness is kicking in. Why not, everything has stopped working at this age . . . ;(

• Maybe whatever was leaking has run out of fluid so there's NOTHING remaining to leak. Ride it like you stole it. IF something breaks, I'd put my money on the guess that that's where the fluid USED to be :)

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE