storage compartment door

• I am in need of advice and / or suggestions. The molded in hinge strip on the bottom of my drivers side storage compartment door is breaking off - here is a picture

has anyone here had this problem? and if you have what did you do fix it? I know it is only a matter of time before the entire strip breaks off and then there will be nothing securing the bottom edge of the door when it is closed. I figure my options are to either make some type of replacement hinge which probably wouldn't be that hard or to try to find a replacement door. I did check online and a door would cost around $80 plus shipping which seems a bit high especially if a well thought out fix might actually make the compartment even more secure.

Anyway I figured this might be something others have already dealt with so asking here while I still have time couldn't hurt

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• jb weld

never used JB weld, does it really bond with plastics like this??

• never used JB weld, does it really bond with plastics like this??

I had a coolant tank spring a leak while out driving. To make matters worse, I broke a nipple off while removing the hose. Sealed the crack with JB Weld for plastics and put a big glob around the nipple. Let it cure and never leaked again.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• Might also check with Jack at Underground Auto Styling (941-706-4000), House of Sound in Texas (713-991-7011) or any of the other places that do a lot of sound installations. They typically remove those storage doors when they are installing sub enclosures, I am sure someone probably has a stack of those sitting around somewhere from all the installs we see at Slingexperience every year. Otherwise, JB weld for plastics is a good option.

• I had a coolant tank spring a leak while out driving. To make matters worse, I broke a nipple off while removing the hose. Sealed the crack with JB Weld for plastics and put a big glob around the nipple. Let it cure and never leaked again.

I was actually thinking that instead of just fixing the broken plastic it might be an option to remove that part completely and then install some other type of hinge setup - my thoughts on this are that doing it this way might actually increase the security of the storage compartment

I like to lock my helmet in there when I park and now that I have installed a quick release it would also be nice if it was a secure place to lock the steering wheel when parked for shorter periods of time - clearly if I had to park overnight like at a hotel these things will go inside with me, but if just running in not having to carry the wheel yet still feel like its secured would be nice

• You might want to consider plastic welding. Lots of info here - https://www.google.com/search?q=plastic+welding

Okay - if I were to consider this or even using glues does anyone here know exactly what king of plastic the compartment doors are made out of???

It would seem to me that knowing this before proceeding with any of the plastic bonding options would be critical to getting the strongest finished product

Again thanks?

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• I was actually thinking that instead of just fixing the broken plastic it might be an option to remove that part completely and then install some other type of hinge setup - my thoughts on this are that doing it this way might actually increase the security of the storage compartment

I like to lock my helmet in there when I park and now that I have installed a quick release it would also be nice if it was a secure place to lock the steering wheel when parked for shorter periods of time - clearly if I had to park overnight like at a hotel these things will go inside with me, but if just running in not having to carry the wheel yet still feel like its secured would be nice

Jb weld once again!

• Jb weld once again!

okay ordered some jb - - should be here tomorrow

• I had a coolant tank spring a leak while out driving. To make matters worse, I broke a nipple off while removing the hose. Sealed the crack with JB Weld for plastics and put a big glob around the nipple. Let it cure and never leaked again.

As long as Kyle has some 'duct tape, WD-40 & JB Weld he can fix anything.

• Okay - if I were to consider this or even using glues does anyone here know exactly what king of plastic the compartment doors are made out of???

It would seem to me that knowing this before proceeding with any of the plastic bonding options would be critical to getting the strongest finished product

Again thanks?

Plastic welding allows the use of dissimilar plastics to make a strong joint. I'd think as along as the 2 plastics have similar properties, it shouldn't really matter. Maybe check with some body shops and if they use plastic welding, they may be able to identify what type of plastic the part is made from or at least tell you what type of plastic it probably is.