Finally located a video showing the opening of a Slingshot with the Metricks Slingshot Hood Spring kit

• After seeing this video, I think I'm going to try ordering a set to see if they will work with my ZZP Extended Hood Hinge kit. I always lift the hood using the flimsy little metal tab under the front edge of the hood, but my hood plastics have cracked anyway. Hopefully, this spring kit will stop any further cracking of my hood.

https://www.facebook.com/metri…ning-an/6386809377999498/

• Seems like a really nice idea, but for the number of times a year I open my hood $179 seems a bit high - on the other hand if opening the hood was a simple one hand operation - - - :/:/

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I reinforced my hood lip (where you yank to open the hood) with carbon fiber using West System G5 flex Epoxy. Hoods have been known to split in this area due to the stress of yanking on that thin lip. Being an ex-machinist, the price seems to be what I would expect for small volume production. The aluminum parts are anodized and the springs have to be fabricated.

Their order page doesn't seem to work with PayPal's -- PayPal just updated their web pages, so you may have to call in your order. I tried their checkout using different browsers, so that wasn't it.

• I'm sitting thinking about how easy it opens. But how hard does it close?

actually a very good question - - do these springs in any way make it less likely to latch properly at all 4 latches? - - - right now I always have to give a little extra push up by the latches near the windshields, but the lower latches always engage perfectly - I would not like it if these springs caused the lower latches to require the extra attention like my upper latches do.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I know others have cracked their hood when opening. I am always very careful when opening the hood. Only use the metal plate and to date after 7 years I have had no issues. I like the spring idea but can't justify the price.

Ditto!

Though, I too would like to see somebody closing the hood also.

We do have the MeanSling hood assist strut on ours, it's doesn't make opening the hood quite as easy as shown here, but it does not make any difference anyways as the kit is no longer available. :(

Bill

• I have so,e hood springs from some vehicle (can't remember which one) at the rear edge of the hood opening to help lift the hood after releasing the latches, but my hood still ended up cracking over the thin metal handle which I use exclusively to lift the hood when opening.

Here's a pic of the crack directly above the metal handle -

I wish I had a better picture from when my Slingshot had just been washed!;)

Here's a pic of the Hood Up Springs I added to ensure the hood popped free of the rear hood latches when released -

Edited 2 times, last by BKL ().

• [quote='BKL','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/10601-finally-located-a-video-showing-the-opening-of-a-slingshot-with-the-metricks-sli/&postID=366334#post366334']

I have so,e hood springs from some vehicle (can't remember which one) at the rear edge of the hood opening to help lift the hood after releasing the latches, but my hood still ended up cracking over the thin metal handle which I use exclusively to lift the hood when opening.

Here's a pic of the crack directly above the metal handle -

slingshotinfo.com/wcf/index.php?attachment/128984/

I'll post a pic of the hood springs at the rear of the hood opening after I take a pic.

[/quote]

Ouch, quite the crack!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

The trouble with bucket seats is not everyone has the same size 'bucket'.

• It's something I consciously proceed with caution every time I open the hood. Even at that I cringe, you can see and feel the hood flex. I can only imagine the cost of a new hood.

• I called Metricks today and they emailed me a PayPal invoice which I was able to use to complete my order. No charge for shipping, but Virginia Sales Tax added another $10, bringing the cost to $189.

Having seen how easily my hood popped up at 55-60 mph after my hood latches let loose during a drive, I can't help but wonder how easily the hood might lift if the latches came loose during a ride. At the time of the original hood latch incident, I was on a night ride and my hood rose enough to prevent forward vision. Fortunately, I was in a gradual left curve so I could look past the hood and see the road enough to pick a spot to pull over and close the hood. I guess I missed a loose latch. I've ha a few rides where I had o stop every few miles to check and make sure the hood was still securely latched, although I haven't had any problems with the hood latches the past couple years.

• Wouldn't this spring system be putting even more constant pressure on the latches creating a situation of if the latches did release during a ride the hood would have a tendency to come up even higher?

A practice I believe that most of us follow is after closing the hood to check that each corner is latched securely, especially the rear ones. Seven years of riding now and we have yet to have the hood unlatch expectantly?

Bill

• Wouldn't this spring system be putting even more constant pressure on the latches creating a situation of if the latches did release during a ride the hood would have a tendency to come up even higher?

A practice I believe that most of us follow is after closing the hood to check that each corner is latched securely, especially the rear ones. Seven years of riding now and we have yet to have the hood unlatch expectantly?

Bill

The opening pressure of the springs is something I have a little concern about. When I had the hood pop open at speed, I was experiencing latching problems with one of the rear latches and both seemed to have vibrated loose. I am a lot more careful now and haven't experienced any issues in a couple years.

I'll post a review once I get the set.

Edited once, last by BKL ().