Finally located a video showing the opening of a Slingshot with the Metricks Slingshot Hood Spring kit

• Well, it looks like I don't need to worry about the springs forcing the hood open if my hood latches fail. Based on my initial observations, it looks like the Metricks Hood Assist Spring kit will not fit my ZZP Extended Range Hood Hinges. I don't know if it will fit other extended range hood hinge sets. I redid my hood hinge placement so that the hinge mechanism is positioned as far back as possible and the spring assembly still seems to hit the bar to which the lights are mounted. I believe part of the problem is the aftermarket extended hinges seem to be made from thicker metal stampings and the extra thickness means there isn't enough clearance between the hinge mount and the "light bar". I'll try to grab some pics tomorrow.

If I can't get them to fit, I'll have to decide which I want, keeping the extra hood range I get with the aftermarket hinges or reinstalling the stock hood hinge assemblies to get an easier opening hood which also means it will be harder to access anything under the front area under the hood.

Right now, I'm leaning towards selling the spring kit and keeping the aftermarket hood hinge sets. They cost me almost $190 w/shipping and if I sell them, I'll be asking $160 shipped for the unused spring set.

• Well, it looks like I don't need to worry about the springs forcing the hood open if my hood latches fail. Based on my initial observations, it looks like the Metricks Hood Assist Spring kit will not fit my ZZP Extended Range Hood Hinges. I don't know if it will fit other extended range hood hinge sets. I redid my hood hinge placement so that the hinge mechanism is positioned as far back as possible and the spring assembly still seems to hit the bar to which the lights are mounted. I believe part of the problem is the aftermarket extended hinges seem to be made from thicker metal stampings and the extra thickness means there isn't enough clearance between the hinge mount and the "light bar". I'll try to grab some pics tomorrow.

If I can't get them to fit, I'll have to decide which I want, keeping the extra hood range I get with the aftermarket hinges or reinstalling the stock hood hinge assemblies to get an easier opening hood which also means it will be harder to access anything under the front area under the hood.

Right now, I'm leaning towards selling the spring kit and keeping the aftermarket hood hinge sets. They cost me almost $190 w/shipping and if I sell them, I'll be asking $160 shipped for the unused spring set.

It's too bad that those didn't fit. I was hoping they would. Good information to have though.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

Why not use a strut for the ZZP hinges? It would mount just like they do to the factory hinges, but you would have to drill in to one of the crossbars.

Hood lift supports

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• Why not use a strut for the ZZP hinges? It would mount just like they do to the factory hinges, but you would have to drill in to one of the crossbars.

Hood lift supports

I still have the original gas cartridges I used with my stock hinges. I plan on contacting Kyle D and asking him for ideas on using either my old gas cartridges if he thinks they will work, or try to find longer cartridges, if needed.

• I still have the original gas cartridges I used with my stock hinges. I plan on contacting Kyle D and asking him for ideas on using either my old gas cartridges if he thinks they will work, or try to find longer cartridges, if needed.

Email me some pics of those and I'm happy to take a look. They may work. The shock assisted options that are out there that I have had here at ZZP did not function well. The way the shock assist mounted to them the shock would move/articulate towards the engine and the shock itself would get caught up on one of the bars connected to a hinge and you had to rotate it out of the way each time to get the hood closed. Shoot me some pics to Kyle@zzperformance.com of where the springs assist won't work along with the shocks you have and maybe we can figure something out one way or another.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• Email me some pics of those and I'm happy to take a look. They may work. The shock assisted options that are out there that I have had here at ZZP did not function well. The way the shock assist mounted to them the shock would move/articulate towards the engine and the shock itself would get caught up on one of the bars connected to a hinge and you had to rotate it out of the way each time to get the hood closed. Shoot me some pics to Kyle@zzperformance.com of where the springs assist won't work along with the shocks you have and maybe we can figure something out one way or another.

I hope to get back to the Slingshot in a day or so and will try to get some pics.One concern I didn't think about initially is if the hinge arms move more than the stock arms to provide the extended hinge range, I wonder if it might over-stretch the springs?

• Well I just pulled the trigger and ordered the Metricks hood assist spring kit. Like BKL I had to call and have them e-mail me the invoice, their cart doesn't seem to work correctly with PayPal - anyway the person I talked to on the phone said they would ship out today so I will let you all know what I think of them after I get them installed.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Well I just pulled the trigger and ordered the Metricks hood assist spring kit. Like BKL I had to call and have them e-mail me the invoice, their cart doesn't seem to work correctly with PayPal - anyway the person I talked to on the phone said they would ship out today so I will let you all know what I think of them after I get them installed.

I must admit that I sure am happy that I purchased our Hood Assistant from MeanSling for the paltry fee of $65. For those that are interested, here are a couple of additional pictures and the part number of the strut if anybody wants to construct their own:

129129-hood-assist-jpg      

It is a Signature brand strut, P/N SE280P-70, http://www.signatureseriesgasspring.com/standards.html

Rectangular plate for rear mount, 2"X6" mounted where front fender is mounted to frame using existing bolts

Ball pivot mounts front and rear to attach strut, (drilling of front hinge required, but easy access.)

That's all folks!

Bill

• I have no clue if it makes any difference what so ever, but one of the things I like about these Metricks springs is that they go on both sides of the hood and should apply equal lift and pressure across the hood.

I thought about this for a good amount of time before pulling the tigger and now that I actually have under the hood mods it will be nice to easily be able to show them off, seriously, over the last 5 years I have only really opened the hood out of necessity because it always just seemed so awkward seemed like I looked about as graceful as a monkey fucking a football.

Anyway - watching this just pushed me over the tipping point - - - seriously watch how easy it is

https://www.facebook.com/metricks.us/videos/6386809377999498

• The hood assist strut we installed is not quite as easy to open as this, what it does mostly is provide dampening control while opening and closing the hood, making it more manageable and less awkward.

And, like others here, I really want to see somebody closing a hood with these springs installed?

Bill

• The hood assist strut we installed is not quite as easy to open as this, what it does mostly is provide dampening control while opening and closing the hood, making it more manageable and less awkward.

And, like others here, I really want to see somebody closing a hood with these springs installed?

Bill

I doubt I will be making any videos, but I will definitely post my findings as to how much if at all it impacts closing of the hood. My order shipped late today and it’s coming from the other side of the country so it won’t be for a week or two, but I will let you know

Update: - tracking says expected delivery is Wednesday 3/9

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• Ok, here's some pics that show what I believe keeps the Metricks Hood Assist spring kit from working with the ZZP Extended Hood Hinge kit.

The stock Hood Hinge Bracket is much thinner than the ZZP Billet Bracket -

The other aftermarket Extended Range Hood Hinge kits appear to use thinner brackets, but I do not know if that makes a difference in terms of installing the Metricks Hood Assist spring kit.

I guess I have several choices -

1) Sell the Metricks Hood Assist kit,

2) Keep the kit and change to one of the other aftermarket Extended Range Hood Hinge kits, or,

3) Try adding the gas cylinder cartridges I originally used with my stock hood hinges to the ZZP kit.

ATM, I'm leaning towards Choice 3.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• update - - tracking now says I should get my kit tomorrow :thumbsup:

that's fast!

• Man, what's all that rust from on your frame?

I guess it's a result of being within 90 minutes of the Gulf of Mexico. I used some anti-rust treatment on several parts of the bottom frame, but haven't gotten around to doing the top sections of the frame. I noticed the rust when I posted the pics.

After watching a YouTube comparison test that compared Ace Rust Stop and Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator among other products, I used the Ace Rust Stop since it was less expensive and did well in the test.

• Salt air must do a number on frames. Much like road salt in winter in Maine. But slung is put up for the winters.

Personally, I didn't expect us to be close enough to the coast for salt air to be a problem. My Slingshot is kept in a carport, but is still exposed to the outside air year round. I'll have to keep any eye on the rust as I can't afford to replace my Slingshot. I try to avoid riding when I know it's going to rain, but I worry about eventual frame damage.