Tires! Tires! Tires!

• 5 mph over the speed limit, is that all in the mountains. I am just picking at you, but we do ride just a little bit faster than that. Close to twice the posted.

that works for me :thumbsup:

the posted is really just a suggestion after all - - - - isn't it?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• If you are talking about the speed sigh on curves that is not a speed limit but a suggested as Edward Neal says. I do not go by that myself as that number doesn't mean much. Now if you are talking about the posted speed limit for the road twice that maybe petty fast. When I was a kid in my state 20 over the posted was a loss of license for a year. They didn't have the fancy radars they have now days and put speed tapes on the roads. Just get on the brakes when you see the first tape come into view. That or they painted pictures of airplanes on the roads and a officer in a plane timed you between marks. Just watch the sky for small planes.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• with the mountain roads around here tending to have very large drop-offs on one side or the other I have never really seen law enforcement up there giving tickets - - usually when I see LEO's they are up there with medical units pulling some wreck back up off the side.

I really think that for the most part the roads in my local mountains set their own limits

• Ya no where to pull someone over to give them a ticket doesn't make for good ticket giving. Also would be hard to set up a radar trap. Not so where I live here in NE Florida. Most roads are patrolled and on major roads they like to use what they call The Wolf Pack. One or two radars and a half a dozen chase cars down the road. I wouldn't mind a fine but the points on the license hurts if they add up. I do believe a clean record for 60 years might save me the first time. My last employer called me into his office to question me about my driving record. They get it from the state as we drive company vans. I asked what is wrong and he said you have a clean record nothing in your history something is wrong. My comment. Nope it's right.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• I've been running Lexanitwenty tires for 50,000+- miles. I really like them. I just ordered a complete set from Walmart. I have 12k on the rear and 30k on the fronts. I expect the rear to go another 8k and don't know about fronts. Fronts still are not near the wear bars but my experience is, once they start yo wear they go quickly. So I should be all set for this and next season. Didn't want to order when needed do to current supply chain issues.

• Getting ready to have to change out my Michelin Pilot Sport rear tire. A little disappointed on the longevity of the tire though. Won't even get 9k out of it. The same front tires look great still so I'm sure my right foot has something to do with it too but I was expecting a little more from a Michelin. I guess it will be back to the Nitto on the rear. Got over 15k on last Nitto but the grip was not as good as the Michelin, especially when cold.

• Getting ready to have to change out my Michelin Pilot Sport rear tire. A little disappointed on the longevity of the tire though. Won't even get 9k out of it. The same front tires look great still so I'm sure my right foot has something to do with it too but I was expecting a little more from a Michelin. I guess it will be back to the Nitto on the rear. Got over 15k on last Nitto but the grip was not as good as the Michelin, especially when cold.

Tires and how they wear and react on the slingshot are an interesting thing. I have run 3 different tires in the rear. The factory Kenda and Nitto Motivo all season and currently a Nitto 555 g2 - - the Kenda sucked wet traction was non existent even a little water in the gutter on a slow turn at an intersection and the back would slide all over the place. it also lasted around 8000 miles. was happy to replace them and went with the motivos all the way around. being an all season tire with a harder rubber compound I wasn't sure what to expect, what I got was much better traction in the back actually had to intentionally hit the gas to kick out the back in the same way as the kenda did without trying, unfortunately the kenda in the back didn't last, despite being a harder rubber compound I only got 9k in the back - - fronts have held up great and are still going at 25+k. I replaced the the motive on the rear with the Nitto 555g2 despite having a softer rubber compound than the Motivo it is holding up better its right around 11k at the moment and looks to get 2 or 3k or maybe more left in it - - as to traction its an interesting mix - seems much more temperamental when the weather cools down. in our normally warm to hot weather it grips better than either of my other tires and really grips great when in the weather gets in the 90's & 100's, but on the other hand when it gets below 60 degrees traction drops off noticeably fortunately now that I am retired and don't need to go into work I can for the most part avoid riding when its cold so cold traction is less of an issue than it was before I retired

Not really sure which way I will go with my next tires - - its looking like the 555g2 and the front motivos might be due for replacement around the same time, as such I might try something different all the way around, but I am also tempted to go with the Motivo's again in the front as they have been great and then just try something different in the rear - - - if I get a rear tire that sucks its a much shorter term investment than the fronts so easier to accept if I need to replace it because I dont like it

oh well - not going to worry right now - still got some miles before I need to order

one thing I will add, when listening to tire recommendations from other people I think it is important to take into consideration the driving conditions and tempratures that the person making the recommendation has been driving in. I live in the desert. our weather here is very dry and hot, 9 months a year where the highs are almost always in the 100's and even in the other three months our daily highs are usually in the high 60's /low 70's and humidity is virtually non existent year round. - - a tire that might be a great choice for me in these conditions could very well be a very bad choice for someone like you who lives in a location with substantially different conditions

• Hey, can you describe what you mean by looses traction in cooler weather. Is that all around traction, spinning when taking off, problems cornering.... I am in Colorado and am going to try that G2 for the first time and was wondering what to expect.

Thanks

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• Hey, can you describe what you mean by looses traction in cooler weather. Is that all around traction, spinning when taking off, problems cornering.... I am in Colorado and am going to try that G2 for the first time and was wondering what to expect.

Thanks

I have only run it on the rear so can only address rear traction. I have found that when it gets cold like 60 degrees and lower the traction gets progressively worse - this is both spinning when taking off - seriously at 30 degrees it can be almost impossible not to spin even taking off slowly, it also loses lateral grip and kicks out more easily when going around a corner - - the one good thing about this is that I find it very predictable so when its cold its not something that happens unexpectedly - - frankly if I lived in a place where most of the year it was 60 or lower I probably would not get another 555 g2 - - I think this tire is a true summer tire and the rubber just gets too hard when its not the temperature it is designed for.

• As soon as I got old enough and my parents stopped buying my tires they started lasting a lot longer.

not so sure about this - - was true before I got the Slingshot, but even at my craziest youthfulness I dont think I went through back tires as fast as I do now

although those old school bias ply tires that were on the back of the 1970 Z28 were not exactly known for long tread life

• Wow, just got the new rear tire 305 30 R20 and it looks huge just sitting there... :) For some reason perceptually it looks way larger than it does when mounted on the rim.

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.