Angle Drive oil?

• This is true. Polaris only "roughly" machines the gears. It relies upon them actually running against each other to do the "final" machining to get them nice and smooth. That's all those particles you get from the first oil change. My first one at 1500 miles shown up almost iridescent due to all the metal particles. The 2nd oil change (5K miles) they were barely noticeable. By the 10K oil change, they were gone. So Drive, and Change Oil at the beginning.

Key word

Keep Three Wheels Down

• I am getting ready to change my angle drive oil for the second time and I have a question. I have owned a lot of outboard motors and when I changed the foot oil, I would fill the foot from the bottom drain plug. This pushes all the air out and when the oil would start running out of the top plug I replaced the top plug then the bottom plug. (You loose very little oil doing this) Then I would remove the top plug and add oil if needed to top it off. Has anyone tried this on the angle drive? Or do I need to just fill from the top hole. Inquiring minds want to know. :/

Don't know about trying to insert the drain plug after refilling the oil from the drain hole. See my post #7, above about what I think caused my angle drive to start to self-destruct. I strongly recommend using a smaller hose to pump the lube so it gets past the large gear that is just inside the fill hole. When I did my 3rd lube change at 58K miles, I mistakenly had the lube flowing back out after hitting the gear before the angle drive was filled and I think the low fill damaged my angle drive.

• I don't use a tube to fill. I use an oil squirt can. Fill it and pump it in. Repeat until oil flows out, take for short ride and fill again.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-flexible-spout-oil-can-1113.html?cid=paid_google|||1113&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=

That small spout will allow you to place the tip of the spout so the lube can get past the big gear that is just inside the fill hole.:thumbsup:

I plan on buying one before I install my new angle drive. Since some lube leaked during shipping, I either need to top it off or just go with Redline (Heavy or Light) form day 1.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Just drained my angle drive, preparing for trip to MV. My owners manual says angle holds 23.7 ounces 85-90w gear oil.

Only 12 oz drained out, it was supposedly 'full' starting to run out the fill hole.

Is some of the oil elsewhere in the drive, so it doesn't drain? Last time I filled it I used less than a quart but I didn't measure.

I know I didn't have a leak anywhere, just wondering why the drain amount was about half of the 'capacity' listed in the manual.

Thanks in advance.

The trouble with bucket seats is not everyone has the same size 'bucket'.

• Did you drain it previously or was it drained at the dealer?

Another thing to keep in mine is the drain for the angle drive does not sit at the very bottom, just close to it, so there might be sold old oil in there.

• Did you drain it previously or was it drained at the dealer?

Another thing to keep in mine is the drain for the angle drive does not sit at the very bottom, just close to it, so there might be sold old oil in there.

Not at the dealer, I change it every oil change. Apparently operator error, drained and refilled again, seems to have taken about 20 ounces second time. Guess I got some 'backwash' out of the fill hole and stopped filling to soon last week. Seemed a little noisy, so I was double checking when I drained the 12 oz. today. Previous drains have been into oil pan with used oil, so I never knew how much was draining. Today used a paint mixing cup to catch the drain, and it gave me 12 oz level.

Think I am good now.

• Not at the dealer, I change it every oil change. Apparently operator error, drained and refilled again, seems to have taken about 20 ounces second time. Guess I got some 'backwash' out of the fill hole and stopped filling to soon last week. Seemed a little noisy, so I was double checking when I drained the 12 oz. today. Previous drains have been into oil pan with used oil, so I never knew how much was draining. Today used a paint mixing cup to catch the drain, and it gave me 12 oz level.

Think I am good now.

That is easy to do, I did it once, but caught it before driving it. But the current consensus is that most angle drives that fail are because of low fluid. If I don't feel I've put enough in the angle drive and it's "backwashing" out the fill hole, I'm walking away and trying again later after any air has a chance to be relieved.

• Thankfully I did catch it before putting too many miles on it. Only a few errand runs around town before I drained it today.

That and knowing how much it holds will give me clues going forward.

Thanks all for the input.

• After draining the angle drive and reinstalling the drain plug, try positioning the Slingshot so the driver's side is a little higher than the passenger side. I used jack-stands that were set a little higher on the driver's side compared to the passenger side. That will allow you to slightly overfill the angle drive and should help ensure you don't end up with an under-filled angle drive. Don't ask me how I learned this!

• [quote='BKL','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/10071-angle-drive-oil/&postID=351846#post351846']

After draining the angle drive and reinstalling the drain plug, try positioning the Slingshot so the driver's side is a little higher than the passenger side. I used jack-stands that were set a little higher on the driver's side compared to the passenger side. That will allow you to slightly overfill the angle drive and should help ensure you don't end up with an under-filled angle drive. Don't ask me how I learned this!

[/quote]

Good idea, thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• I don't recommend making the angle too extreme between the 2 sides of the Slingshot. IF using jack-stands, I'd think just having one side one notch higher should be sufficient. The more the difference in jack-stand height between the 2 sides, the more risk one faces of instability and other possible problems.