helments and insurence for slingshots

• well i am new owner of slingshot.. this i have to say has been one more confusing ordeal .first its was a bitch to find insurance or reasonable price insurance anyway my own company USAA wouldn't even write it the ones that would wanted like 1200.00 a year funny thing they don't charge this much for a 2 wheel motorcycle so i found this forum and a member steered me to country financial .thanks you so much ,these people don't care ,about weather you have ridden a motorcycle or not,they wrote my policy for 40 bucks full coverage a month only stipulation was i had to give them another vehicle so USAA lost one of ours
    .now the helmet law i live in TN the law at one point says you don't have to wear a helmet another says you do i have found out some riders has challenged the law in court and was thrown out judge says its very unclear as to weather you do or don't ,well guys i am a rebel always have been so i will not wear one period.. when i rode street bikes i wouldn't ride in states that require them to me it may save your life and another take it as to me helmets interfere with what i see around me so it could cause me to have a accident .lets get together and see if we cant make the states come up with a class all on its own for the slingshot ,its clearly not a motorcycle nor automobile .together i think we the owners can make a difference .as to how this thing should be classified......

• I also have USAA for all of my insurnace needs and they did not offer insurance for Motorcycles/SS. What they did was recommend Progressive and I went with them based on that recommendation my first year of owning my SS. It did not take me long to realize that Progressive was to expensive (around $1200 p/year for full coverage) and I went with Nationwide who offered the same coverage for just a little over $600 p/year. I thought that was a good rate until I looked at State Farm and they are $412 p/year for full coverage ($250 deductible on collision and none on comp). I own a 2015 SS so I have had it a few years now. As far as the helmet laws are concerned, IMHO all states should have the same laws and hopefully NC will pass the autocycle law this year which no helmet is required. There is no need for a helmet law for the SS, however, if owners want to wear one, that is fine.

Welcome to the SS world.

• I also have USAA for all my insurance, and the SS costs me $1100/yr. I am in the process of switching over.

Welcome to forum, @Moondoggie. Hope you come to love the Sling as much as the rest of us crazies. Take full advantage of the search function (upper right corner) and check all the discussions about helmets in TN and the various states around you. Good luck!

• where at in Tennessee? I am in Clarksville and use Farm Bureau. Pay about 400 a year.

I was pulled over by a trooper in Nashville a few months back for no helmet. Told me they they were going to start ticketing for them soon. Also said if you have a roof you don't need a helmet. I have continued to ride without one and have not been bothered since. I guess I will wait until I actually get a ticket to wear one. My son also rides with me often and does not wear one. Even chstted with a few one day and neber said anyways as we drove off.

• HI I LIVE IN GATLINBURG AREA ARE YOU GOING TO THE RALLY IN MAGGIE VALLEY IN LATE MAY EARLY JUNE? ABOUT THE HELMET THING I HAVE A COPY OF A TN ORDNANCE THAT STATES YOU DO NOT NEED A HELMET IN TN I GOT IT OFF THIS FORUM I PUT A COPY AS IT SUGGESTED IN MY GLOVE BOX ,I AM NOT WEARING A HELMET IF THEY TICKET ME I WILL TAKE THEM TO COURT AS OTHERS HAVE DONE AND IN ALL CASES THE JUDGE THREW IT OUT SAYING THE LAW CAN BE INTERPRETED ABOUT ANYWAY ONE WANTS TO, AS I SAID IN MY POST I AM SOME WHAT A REBEL AND WILL CHALLENGE ALL THESE IDIOTIC LAWS LIKE THE ONE THAT WENT IN EFFECT JAN ONE SAYING YOU CANT HAVE COLORED ACCENT LIGHTS ON YOUR VEHICLES I HAVE BLUE ONES ON MY TRUCK AND WIFE'S CAR .I HAVE BEEN ALL AROUND TROOPERS AND LOCAL COPS AND SO FAR THE HAVEN'T PAID ME ANY ATTENTION .I LOOK AT THIS HELMET LAW AS THE SAME AS A LIVING WILL .ITS MY RIGHT IF I WANT TO LIVE OR NOT AND NOT WEARING A HELMET DOESN'T AFFECT ANYONE ONES LIFE BUT MY OWN ,I DO CARRY HELMETS IN MY SLINGSHOT IN CASE A PASSENGER WANTS ONE .WHEN THE WEATHER WARMS UP COME ON DOWN AND WE CAN GO CRUISING ..

• Be careful what you wish for....getting a brand new category for the SS could be a disaster. It’s a motorcycle because it doesn’t have bumpers and air bags and crash tests....a new category could make you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars bringing it up to road worthiness to get it into that new designation. How many SS would you have to crash test before it would be good enough to pass? And how much to design and fit and test an air bag system? And getting bumpers front and rear up to snuff?

Don’t mess with something that isn’t broke. Wear your helmet and drive safely.