Hahn Turbo install questions

• OK. Got back home just over 1 week ago. Didn't do anything to the Slingshot as my Daughter had to replace her oil pan RTV to fix a leak on her 2007 Hyundai Accent. After getting everything back together, she didn't have a leak, and it seemed to run fine, but after about 3 hrs run-time, evidently her oil pump seized up and the engine threw a rod. We had it checked at a local shop and they didn't think anything she did was at fault, it just seems the oil pump gave up the ghost. The shop is now looking for an engine to give us an estimate on fixing it.

Now for my Slingshot Turbo question - I installed the oil feed line today. How important is it for the oil feed and oil drain openings to be positioned as close to vertical as possible/parallel to the ground? I went with the oil pan drain and the length of the drain hose tends to force the drain opening to be slightly past parallel to the ground. I don't recall anything in the Hahn instructions about specific positioning/clocking of the drain opening, but I seem to recall someone commenting about trying to keep the drain opening within about 15 degrees of vertical with respect to the ground.
    Here's a pic, but it doesn't really show the degree of angle -

Is this something I should try to correct?

• Feed line looks good and doesn't need to be perfectly vertical.

Oil drain should be positioned where gravity is most efficient in helping oil to drain to the pan or block.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• Feed line looks good and doesn't need to be perfectly vertical.

Oil drain should be positioned where gravity is most efficient in helping oil to drain to the pan or block.

Thanks.Here's a pic of the turbo oil drain line showing how it points towards the rear of the engine while transiting down to the oil pan connection.

Hopefully, the line and slope are long enough for the foamy oil to condense and get back into the pan w/o the backup problems @rabtech has run into. I'll go take a pic and post it shortly.
    My only other concern about the drain line is that I couldn't get the connector into the drain pan completely tight as that position forced the fitting to point forwards, risking a kink in the drain line. I ended up using Permatex High Temperature Thread Sealant (upto 400F) and said by Permatex to "Resists leakage, vibration loosening, moisture, hydraulic fluids and diesel fuels". Permatex also posts "Parts may be repositioned up to 4 hours after application", so it has now hopefully setup to resist movement.

Edited 2 times, last by BKL ().

• OK. Thanks to tips from folks I have reclocked the turbo and now have the oil drain opening pointing straight down and have the turbo output in line with the Intercooler intake. See - Difficulties Clocking my Hahn Turbo

When I finally got the oil pan reinstalled and then initially hooked up the turbo oil feed and drain lines, I followed a tip from rabtech - "First thing.... before you start an engine that has not been started in a while you can unplug the harness that feeds the fuel injectors and coils and then hold your starter button in till it stops cranking. Do this two or three times to prime the oil." Since I was taking my time and also had to deal with Hurricane Harvey and some other stuff, it had been a couple months the oil pan had been off a couple months, possibly allowing oil to drain from the pump, losing prime, so followed rabtech's recommendation and let the engine go thru 3-4 start cycles to hopefully ensure there was oil in the oil lines.
    As part of disconnecting the oil drain hose so I could reclock the turbo oil lines properly, I notice that the oil drain hose from the turbo did not appear to have any oil in it. This makes me wonder if the oil pump has lost its prime and didn't get reprimed from turning the engine over w/o starting. Looking at the Slingshot Service Manual, although the perspective looks a little off, it looks like I might be able to remove the Oil Pump Gerotor Cover to gain access to the oil pump gears and add some oil or STP oil treatment or something similar to ensure the oil pump is primed.

Opinions or expert comments welcome. I'd hate like Hades to finish the install only to have my motor destroy itself due to lack of oil or find out that I should have done something else to ensure the pump was actually pumping oil.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I would think that it would be very rare for the oil pump to lose it's prime. I have installed 2 motors that contained no oil and haven't had this issue.

If it really concerns you, why not leave the turbo oil feed line off and crank the motor over several times with the injectors and coil unplugged? Wouldn't that tell you if oil is circulating correctly...?

• I would think that it would be very rare for the oil pump to lose it's prime. I have installed 2 motors that contained no oil and haven't had this issue.

If it really concerns you, why not leave the turbo oil feed line off and crank the motor over several times with the injectors and coil unplugged? Wouldn't that tell you if oil is circulating correctly...?

It would, but I was concerned about getting oil all over the place,although I guess I could use some kind of container...guess I'm a little slow at the moment! :/ Sometimes, over-thinking can be quite an impediment to getting things done.

• I had no oil in for about 3 weeks during my install, didn't prime or disconnect my fuel or anything, and she started right up first try. Later my friend told me I should have disconnected fuel and allowed some oil to pump into the turbo for the first time, but it was too late by then. So in my case, everything worked fine w/o needing to do anything special.

• With all these relatively small problems I've been experiencing, I'm starting to feel like an idiot!
    Now I'm having a problem getting the plenum to seat tightly against the TB. During Test-fits, the plenum seated solidly against the TB, but once I added the oiled O-ring, the plenum would not sit flat against the TB when tightened. It would rock ever so slightly, causing me to assume it is not properly seated against the TB and not properly sealing the plenum to the TB. Before tightening the clamp bolt, I made sure the plenum was flat against the TB and even managed to break the bolt trying to make sure the plenum was tightly clamped against the TB & sealed against the TB.
    I have taken off and tried reinstalling the TB several times and still end up with the plenum being able to rock slightly when tightened. While the installation manual doesn't specifically mention how to position the split ring opening with respect to the plenum clamping bolt, I initially had the split ring positioned with the split ring opening at the 6 o'clock position and the clamp ring bolt positioned at Noon. Same result. I also tried positioning the split ring opening at 9 o'clock with the clamp bolt at Noon and still noticed the same rocking motion. Tomorrow, I'm, going to try positioning both openings at Noon to see if that makes any difference.

I did not encounter this problem when I installed my original Hahn CAI with the same plenum. Any Ideas?

• OK. I tried orienting the small slip-ring opening so that it was at 12 o'clock along with the Plenum clamp ring. Same result. I attached an animated GIF showing how the Plenum can be rocked even though the plenum clamp-ring has been properly tightened.

The Plenum can also still be rotated around the TB, although it is relatively firmly clamped around the TB. As I posted previously, I managed to break the original clamping bolt due to over-tightening and the Plenum could still be rocked a little just before the bolt broke.
    Here is a pic with some additional observations I made -

If I am reading the PolarisPartsHouse Parts list properly, it looks like I can purchase a new TB for around $98 + Shipping (BODY, THROTTLE Polaris item: 12670836 [INCL. 12,13] Old Sku: 12632093 $97.34). Although this seems rather cheap for a TB, I'd rather find a simpler and hopefully cheaper solution, if possible.
    I retested the fit of the Plenum on the TB and while it seemed to fit relatively flatly against the TB, there is some slight movement. If someone who has already installed the plenum as part of their turbo install can confirm that the Plenum does indeed sit flatly on the TB and does NOT rock, then I will know I probably need to replace the TB so the Plenum will fit properly.
    This animated GIF shows how the plenum rocks and doesn't fit as tightly as I would expect.
    This pic shows the area I think got worn by the old plenum and which I think is resulting in the rocking motion shown above.

Edited 3 times, last by BKL: Gif & Jpg not displaying properly. ().

• Your links don't work...

What did you damage and what do you need to fix this situation?

Are you getting caught too far in the weeds worrying about it "rocking" or not sitting flat? If it doesn't leak and doesn't pop off, you should be good to go I would guess. (Coming from a guy that is guessing and doesn't have a Hahn Kit)

I believe I have an extra throttle body in the garage if you need it for cheap.

• I didn't have any active links in post # 29.

As far as possible damage to my TB, it is very hard to see in the pics, but I think the slight angle I had originally installed the aluminum plenum with my Hahn CAI gradually wore the lower side of the TB where I have the arrows in the pic and that wear, I assume, allows the TB to rock slightly. This doesn't cause any real problems on a NA vehicle, but I am concerned it might impact the seal of the plenum-TB connection. I asked Bill Hahn to send me a backup O-ring in case I might have damaged it with all of the installs/removals I've done. I'm pretty sure at least one of the install cycles caused the O-ring that actually forms the pressure seal to get clamped under the split-ring that serves to hold the O-ring at the right position for the O-ring to seal the plenum-TB connection.

Hopefully, someone with a Hahn turbo system will be able to comment as to whether or not they remember or experienced any problems with the plenum-TB connection. I don't recall any instability with my original plenum-TB connection and the plenum seemed solidly clamped to the TB. With the rocking, it feels as if I might be able to pop the plenum off the TB even when the clamp-ring on the plenum is tightly clamped, making me worry about the seal.

I may be over-thinking this and the seal of the plenum to the TB may work just fine. I won't really know until I try to start the finished project. I try to envision potential problems so I am prepared to deal with them, but that also sometimes complicates things and slows me down.

PM me details on how much you want for your TB if you can find it.

• Doesn't look bad to me. It would seem very unlikely for it to leak. Did you clamp it down and try to yank it off? If it doesn't move, I would think you are good to go.

• Doesn't look bad to me. It would seem very unlikely for it to leak. Did you clamp it down and try to yank it off? If it doesn't move, I would think you are good to go.

I haven't tried to forcefully yank it off, but I suspect that I might be able to pull it off if I tried hard enough, although I would probably end up wiggling it off by repeatedly rocking the plenum back and forth. I just don't remember if the old plenum rocked much or at all. It sure bugs me that it rocks. That's why I'm considering buying a spare TB just to see how the plenum sits on the TB. I found 3 TBs on EBay ranging from around $70 up.
    I just tried an experiment with the plenum clamped on the TB, but w/o the O-ring in place and I was able to pull the TB off w/o much effort. I may try again later with the O-ring in place.

• I thought I had responded to this already, but I don't see my post.
    I bought the Hahn turbo kit because it included everything I needed at a price I could afford. Unlike some people, I can't just sue someone every time I need some money! ;):rolleyes:

Time to tag some peeps that really know this Hahn stuff... @rabtech @funinthesun @kenny_h

Maybe they can answer your plenum question.

I also PM'd Bill Hahn for his opinion.

Edited once, last by BKL ().