Fuel bars working, lost mpg and mte

• Ok great gurus of the SS's.....
    Cruising today I showed 31.4 miles to empty, glacé down a few minutes later and just dash lines, switched to mpg and it was 0.0. After about 75 miles of cruising that changes to 0.1 and just dash lines on other. Fuel bars are still working.... stoped by dealer and he's never heard of that one... I don't want to risk hooking it up to their computer and mess up my program.
    Any ideas?? Thank you in advance, Joe

Why buy one when you can have two at twice the price..... :evil:

• Thought of that.... going to try it, but curios what sensor or sensors tell ECM what the mileage wil be. That would give me a start on where to check, fuel sender is working, must be something on engine that works off vacuum or something that then goes to ECM to calculate miles to empty and mpg.

Why buy one when you can have two at twice the price..... :evil:

• Yeah the fuel mileage is calculated from the pulses of the injectors. That's why when you changed to larger injectors your calculated fuel mileage and miles to empty jumped up to unbelievable numbers.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• @JoeF. does your fuel quantity bars still work? Or did they go away also? I would think that if the ecu sees zero fuel quantity then the miles to empty would not work either. Could be a fuel sending unit in the tank. REBOOT

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• While I use the MPG and Range features, I place more trust in kn owing I can get around 210 miles from a tank of gas, so I always reset my primary Trip Odometer whenever IO fill-up with gas. There's been a few times where I made the mistake of looking at the range display and assuming I had enough gas to complete a ride, yet the refuel display has come on when I thought I still had more than enough fuel left. I'm finally getting ready to install a Hahn turbo kit and once you install a turbo, running out of gas is NOT something to risk as a blown engine can easily result if you let it run lean, even briefly.
    Having the dealer just hook it up to their Digital Wrench software to run a diagnostic shouldn't affect your programming. Just make it clear to them that you don't want it reprogrammed w/o your express permission.
    Hopefully, your Slingshot is still under warranty, so Polaris should replace it under warranty, if that is the problem. If you already have a turbo, Bob @MEFIburn will reprogram it, if needed, for a very reasonable $40 or so.

• My SS just started this also this past week that I noticed. Fuel bars are working but the range to empty is not. Also for the past 2 weeks I have been getting the brake failure ( the one at the top). It will reset each time on start up. We have already replaced the brake pressure switches once. Looks like I have another bad one. Dealer already has 4 on back order for failures and has no idea when any new switches will come in. When you hit the brakes the light comes on then until you restart and it will reset.

• Well, another cruise and it shows 1 or 2 mile to empty and 1 mpg....of course I went 100 miles...lol guess I'll use trip odometer until I figure it out

mine has been doing that for 2 years,it goes from 1.1 to today 9.9 mpg,I don't like my dealer ,who is 3 hrs away,so I'll just live with it.It doesn't affect anything else.

Just make sure to keep an eye on your trip odometer and get more gas before you get anywhere near close to empty. I suggest refilling no lower than 1/4 tank. As I posted earlier, don't run out of gas, especially with forced induction. To be safe, refill before you hit 175 miles on the odometer. This should provide a cushion even if you only get around 20 mpg.

Edited 2 times, last by BKL ().