Bad Luck

• Sometimes I think if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all - but it always ends up working out in the end

Had a mechanic buddy of mine help me install my new JRI One-Way Adjustable Shocks

I wanted to get them on so we could finish the LED Light Phase III because Thursday night the motorcycle show is having their show, shine, and glow contest

Got the JRI's on and I had to head home so we lowered it and planned on meeting back at the shop at 5am to finish the lights and then we are ready to take home a 1st place prize for the Slingshot.

Rolled into the garage parking lot and my buddy is standing outside with his head hung low - he says to me "you aren't going to like this" and opens the overhead door and the Slingshot is pulled back from where we left it and there is a puddle on the ground under the drivers side JRI

Seems as if the upper seal/gasket decided to take a dump. Arrrrrrgggggg

Called Slingmods - got Brandon right away and new help would be on the way ..... only question would be how quick.

Brandon needed some photos so I emailed those off to him and in less than an hour he was on the phone with JRI to discuss the situation. And like the topnotch customer service that we all have gotten to expect with Slingmods Brandon had a few hours latter a FedEx label ready for me to ship it back to JRI.

So it's time to slap in the stock shock on and get that bad egg into FedEx hands - I know I won't have it back in time for the show but I gotta say Brandon at Slingmods and the folks at JRI are doing the right thing to work quickly to resolve this.

PS. Cannot wait to get all three of these bad boys on and dive into some curves and straighten them out

• @Ross think they call that RMP.... could be worse .... hope you get them on soon. That's the big ticket item fir me when the time comes. Really want new shocks and springs.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• So based on pictures I'm thinking I have the 2-way? I bought the Sling used (and not really mechanical) so please bear with me.

Mine have a knob at the bottom that I can rotate? What's the difference and if it's 2-way adjustment, what's the other way besides turning the knob?

• The non adjustable have a silver knob / cap at the bottom that - I think because I'm not mechanical either - they use to pump in gas if they have to rebuild.

The two-way look like this and have a blue ring at the top that you can turn left or right to increase or decrease

• The non adjustable have a silver knob / cap at the bottom that - I think because I'm not mechanical either - they use to pump in gas if they have to rebuild.

The two-way look like this and have a blue ring at the top that you can turn left or right to increase or decrease

I was wondering if your other photo was with the shock mounted or removed after it leaked but from your "upper seal" and "cap at the bottom" comments it seems you may have had them installed upside down .....

The JRI's install opposite the stock shocks with the body up, the nitrogen fill cap at the top, and the lettering right side up. They will work upside down and didn't cause the leak but they are intended to be installed with the weight of the shock body static and supported by the upper shock mount, not adding to unsprung weight.

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Yup, I have the 2-way JRIs, but the blue ring is at the bottom (maybe because of what @Orangeman is referring to)...

So the 2 ways is rotate left and rotate right? I thought maybe the silver ring at the top could be rotated as well, and if so, what does that do?

The blue knob at the bottom adjusts your damping (firmness) the silver ring at the top adjusts your spring pre-load/ride height .....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

The blue knob at the bottom adjusts your damping (firmness) the silver ring at the top adjusts your spring pre-load/ride height .....

Orangeman is correct @MiM . The big silver ring is for setting ride height. The silver rings have an Allen wrench, set screw. You want to make sure it's been tightened. If you want to adjust height, be sure to loosen that set screw. It is adjusted with the metal wrench that came with the shocks.

• So glad to be in this community... Now I only need to find a way to join you guys so you can give my Sling a look over and adjust my shocks... You all coming to the Texas Hill Country?

Thanks regardless! :thumbsup:

Edit: Just saw the @slingmods, @SlingMods_Josh video for these shocks I have... More knowledge! And it was pretty funny...

Also, @Turbosling, is possible to get the settings sheet? Don't have it and might want to tinker...

Edited once, last by MiM ().

• For reference purposes, other shock companies don't use the same terminology as JRI. Ride height usually isn't considered one of the adjustments. A two way adjustable JRI is equivalent as a single adjustable in other brands.

If you look at other shocks, they will say single or double adjustable. A single adjustable refers to having one knob to adjust damping. Double adjustable has two knobs for rebound and compression damping. Ride height adjustability is a given.

Class dismissed. :whistling:

• @MiM Give me a call I can walk you though setting up your shocks for your driving style. Here is a reference guide for basic settings

• Hey Ross,

I got the pics from Brandon. did you get the return label I sent you? Sorry about the hassle i'm guessing a seal got nicked during assembly. Once the shock is back it will be fully disassembled and rebuilt with new seals.

• @Turbosling I did get it - thanks so much - knew I could count on you guys and Slingmods! I'll be sending it off to the address in Mooresville NC hopefully tomorrow - tonight is a motorcycle show that my grown up girls are going so I can have some time with them -- remember being in your 20s and having no time for your parents because you were too busy having fun .... yup that's my girls!

• @Turbosling I did get it - thanks so much - knew I could count on you guys and Slingmods! I'll be sending it off to the address in Mooresville NC hopefully tomorrow - tonight is a motorcycle show that my grown up girls are going so I can have some time with them -- remember being in your 20s and having no time for your parents because you were too busy having fun .... yup that's my girls!

Good to hear! Any questions or assistance please call me direct or email me. Yeah that's sad but we all don't realize how precious that time is until its almost gone. Im really hoping my kids will grow up with enough gas in their blood that we can do all kinds of activities and maybe have them grow into the business.

• MIM if you need another set of hands/eyes holla at ya girl!!!