Bama boys can shuck their helmets!

• This is courtesy of tater Harris on the dark side. I had to go back to our local probate office to have it reclassified. After a lot of head and ass scratching, the clerks finally gotter dun. No more hot helmets here in Bama!

• Thanks for posting it.... That paper came out at the same time the law was past that you didnt have to have a motorcycle license in Alabama to operate the Slingshot...

I haven't worn a helmet since I bought mine in 2014....I just turned 15,900 miles...

I use the "3 wheel enclosed cab" as an exemption. And it works. It works because there is an exemption in other states for "enclosed" and "fully enclosed" 3 wheel vehicles. Ours would be considered a "enclosed" cab... It would not be a "fully enclosed" cab...

Alabama only says it has to be "enclosed cab" and there is no mention of "fully enclosed".

However the above paper you are showing doesn't address the helmet issue at all. It just states that there is a reclassification of the type of vehicle.

• If you need the paper showing the exemption for 3 wheel vehicles with enclosed cabs for Alabama I can post it here for you.

I did just research that paper you posted. It was the paper showing you dont need a motorcycle license.... It has nothing to do wth helmet law...

Act 2015-553, HB37, defines an “autocycle” as a motor vehicle which has three wheels on the ground, but has a steering wheel, and excludes autocycles from the definition of motorcycle for the purposes of the licensure of the driver. The act requires the driver of an autocycle to have a regular motor vehicle driver’s license, requires an autocycle to be equipped with a seat belt, which is required to be used while the vehicle is in operation, and provides certain restrictions for the use of autocycles by persons 17 years of age or younger.
    EFFECTIVE DATE: September 22, 2015.

• Also remember that a hemet ticket is just a fine. Its not a points violation. So even if you did have a LEO to write a ticket its not that big of a deal.....

I can also tell you that if your on the side of the road and after the officer looked over the paperwork and disagrees with you just let him write the ticket. Its not worth arguing over on the side of the road. YOU WONT WIN HIM OVER TO YOUR SIDE.

And let me clarify why this enclosed cab paperwork will work.... It is because the exemptions DO describe the SS AND because they DON'T describe the SS. They are SUBJECTIVE...... And if you have your big boy britches on when your talking to the LEO and explain it clearly to him they usually see your side.... AND that is good....

It also helps to be nice... I have been pulled over by no less than 8 to 10 state troopers and god knows how many local officers and I have shown the paper work with the exemptions highlighted and they ALLLLLLL agree with me...

Basically every single person will have their own experience with an officer about the helmet issue in Alabama. UNTIL THEY CLEAR THE LAW UP AND SPECIFY THAT THE AUTOCYCLE OR SLINGSHOT REQUIRES A HELMET I won't be wearing one.

P.S. THEY WOULD ALSO HAVE TO TAKE THE 3 WHEEL ENCLOSED CAB EXEMPTIONS OUT OF THE LAW.

• Posted these on Facebook last night after receiving word back From the Staff Attorney for The Tennessee Department of Safety. Tennessee just rewrote its law classifying the Slingshot as an Autocycle. I was advised that a helmet is now required. Sucks, but it is what it is.

• It also helps to be nice... I have been pulled over by no less than 8 to 10 state troopers and god knows how many local officers and I have shown the paper work with the exemptions highlighted and they ALLLLLLL agree with me...

I will bet my next paycheck those traffic stops didn't all have to do with helmet laws...Mr. Drive-it-like-you-stole-it Turbo Boy. :00008356::00008172:

• Basically you need to keep all those pages in the slingshot.... And with just that confusing mess I WOULD TAKE A TICKET AND BE HAPPY TO GO TO COURT... That is the most confusing bunch of mis-information I have ever seen.....

Laws have to be clear...... Im pretty sure that state just turned the law into a muddy mess.

• Just a thought.... are we shooting ourselves in the foot by pushing a to classify a slingshot to a auto cycle? I don't know about others but when I insured mine with Foremost they classified it as a special vehicle. Rate was 139.00 a month. I went with Allstate... 50.00 as a motorcycle...

• I will bet my next paycheck those traffic stops didn't all have to do with helmet laws...Mr. Drive-it-like-you-stole-it Turbo Boy. :00008356::00008172:

I usually get pulled over when I'm slowly cruising thru a city... Between red lights.

I hate to say this...... Because I believe in karma and juju... But I have never been pulled over in the SS because of speeding......

Most officers and troopers have said to me that they don't care about the helmet.... Just keep that seatbelt fastened.... That is what nearly everyone has said to me....

None of the above will change anything about the way I drive or weather i wear a helmet to not.... I was just going to share what I do every day and my interactions....

And honestly if they had a law that outright said.... POLARIS SLINGSHOT DRIVERS AND PASSENGERS IN ALABAMA HAVE TO WEAR A HELMET.... I wouldn't.... I would just keep my baseball cap on like I do now and keep a skid lid handy to swap to if I need to real fast.... And take the ticket and smile when I do get caught.....

One thing you gotta give me is the fact that I won't lie to you all. I just am not wearing a helmet in the SS. I will gladly wear the 4 point harness....

• Just a thought.... are we shooting ourselves in the foot by pushing a to classify a slingshot to a auto cycle? I don't know about others but when I insured mine with Foremost they classified it as a special vehicle. Rate was 139.00 a month. I went with Allstate... 50.00 as a motorcycle...

You are correct.... It would have been better for me and everyone if they had left it as a motorcycle.... I did have an out because they had the exemptions that were based on a 3 wheel MOTORCYCLE... Now that Alabama is changing it to an Autocycle my exemptions I keep in the glove box technically don't work...

Im going to ride that horse till the very end though... :D:D

• @rabtech, please do post the documents you carry with you. I'm traveling southeast Bama without a helmet. I've met and rode along with local and state boys without a second look but I'll bet there's a prick out there somewhere waiting to get his teeth in my a$$. I'm of the same mind as you. I'm willing to take my licks and have my day in court but would like to have a little something to support my case. My assumption that auto cycle classification automatically exempts one from mandatory helmet use is obviously in error. Thanx for the clarification.