Could we be able to get access to digital wrench?

• Looking at the info on Digital Wrench really doesn't give you much, except for error codes. Yes it will have sensor readings for diagnosis, but really cost vs benefit it's not worth it. The software and cabling is expensive and really wouldn't be worth it to an individual owner. There's nothing that secretive once you're plugged in, and dealers really can't change anything with Digital Wrench, just look. Plus re-flashing software/fuel maps gets tough, because of emissions and stuff - manufacturers have to abide by strict rules regarding that stuff.

2JZ Swap - 400+ WHP - Custom Hood - PRP Seats - Cerwin Vega Stereo - AccuAir - Foose Wheels - Hankook Tires - LiteTheNite LED's

• I have a Digital Wrench SmartLink Diagnostic Interface Module Part Nr. 01-1005 Polaris Diagnostic Systems Associates and the input cable for it (PU-47469 I do not have the output cable --- I also have a E.F.I. Control Unit Tester and instructions number PV-43530 --- Also have CDI Electronics 511-9773 a test lead with module --- I also have a set of test leads (Flat 4 pin connector) for checking O2 sensor LSH-25 the O2 cable number is PV-45410-2A and the power and test lead cable is PV-45410-3

• Looking at the info on Digital Wrench really doesn't give you much, except for error codes. Yes it will have sensor readings for diagnosis, but really cost vs benefit it's not worth it. The software and cabling is expensive and really wouldn't be worth it to an individual owner. There's nothing that secretive once you're plugged in, and dealers really can't change anything with Digital Wrench, just look. Plus re-flashing software/fuel maps gets tough, because of emissions and stuff - manufacturers have to abide by strict rules regarding that stuff.

Right, so then you need access to the Polaris Dealer Portal / STOP site, or some consumer grade version too, which could happen if this passes, but would probably require additional lawsuits or legislation to regulate the flow of information correctly.

I have a Digital Wrench SmartLink Diagnostic Interface Module Part Nr. 01-1005 Polaris Diagnostic Systems Associates and the input cable for it (PU-47469 I do not have the output cable --- I also have a E.F.I. Control Unit Tester and instructions number PV-43530 --- Also have CDI Electronics 511-9773 a test lead with module --- I also have a set of test leads (Flat 4 pin connector) for checking O2 sensor LSH-25 the O2 cable number is PV-45410-2A and the power and test lead cable is PV-45410-3

Would you mind divulging what you paid?

• Digital wrench is a yearly charge to it's dealers, almost $1000 I think, then the cabling is over $500. Polaris will only authorize a limited amount of computers/laptops for us to have Digital Wrench installed on them. I understand that people want access to everything, but there really isn't much advantage for a consumer to have Digital Wrench. It's an expensive tool us dealers have to have to do our jobs. I understand some dealers charge a lot to hook up a vehicle and use Digital Wrench, this is no different at the car/truck dealer level. The only real reason people want access is to mess with fuel maps - which gets into the whole emissions thing and why manufacturers have to keep that stuff locked up. That's why there are aftermarket companies that make piggy-back systems for when you modify things, or a few people that can re-map our stock ECU's, which is a cheap alternative (also since they've done the dyno time and applicable R&D).

2JZ Swap - 400+ WHP - Custom Hood - PRP Seats - Cerwin Vega Stereo - AccuAir - Foose Wheels - Hankook Tires - LiteTheNite LED's

• Right, so then you need access to the Polaris Dealer Portal / STOP site, or some consumer grade version too, which could happen if this passes, but would probably require additional lawsuits or legislation to regulate the flow of information correctly.

Would you mind divulging what you paid?

They came with the laser alignment kit. Slingshot dealer in Ga. sold inventory

• Digital wrench is a yearly charge to it's dealers, almost $1000 I think, then the cabling is over $500. Polaris will only authorize a limited amount of computers/laptops for us to have Digital Wrench installed on them. I understand that people want access to everything, but there really isn't much advantage for a consumer to have Digital Wrench. It's an expensive tool us dealers have to have to do our jobs. I understand some dealers charge a lot to hook up a vehicle and use Digital Wrench, this is no different at the car/truck dealer level. The only real reason people want access is to mess with fuel maps - which gets into the whole emissions thing and why manufacturers have to keep that stuff locked up. That's why there are aftermarket companies that make piggy-back systems for when you modify things, or a few people that can re-map our stock ECU's, which is a cheap alternative (also since they've done the dyno time and applicable R&D).

All correct, but I think this access to the tools will matter a lot more after right to repair legislation becomes enacted. Either Polaris could build this "open data platform" as mentioned in the article, or some third party could build a consumer grade OBD tool and request the necessary data from Polaris.

• I'll agree it'd be nice to have a little different platform than Digital Wrench to access info/change things on Polaris products. I realize that the vehicle world has OBD2 to access things. I'm sure there is a huge legal thing about emissions and warranty though that will have to be discussed and figured out. While consumers can work on their own vehicles, there's always the element of someone screwing something up and trying to blame the company and claim warranty. It's been like that forever - that's why they try to control that by having dealerships do the work.

• The law referred to in the OP's post may not have any impact if it exclusively uses the term automobile since the Slingshot is built to Federal motorcycle standards and the law may not apply. Farmers have been having to deal with this for years since tractors are not automobiles and agricultural manufacturers have pretty much made their systems closed to the average owner, John Deere being the first to come to mind.