Amatuer (Ham) Radio Installations & other technical installs

• There has to be a few Hams out there. Have any of you installed a rig on your Slingshot? How and where did you mount the antenna? What about power cennections? Place where your rig is mounted?

I know this much: The antenna has to be a 1/2 wave because there is no ground plane, being that the vehicle is fiberglass.

For most of you reading this and are not familiar with Ham radio, you may learn a few things if I can get some other Hams to start a discussion.

WA3UGW

• Not a Ham myself, but back in the day my father was a Ham, WA6WOY ran a Collins S-line out of Arcadia ca. Had a huge tower with a three element beam on the side of the house and a vertical on top of the second story of the house. He never ran any mobil gear. Most of my friends and I ran CB and had some rather large not so legal amplifiers and many moved up and are Hams now, but I never had the desire to deal with the morse code requirements they had back then.

As to installing a rig in the sling that would be interesting, I will have to see what if any ideas come up in this thread :/

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I got started today with the antenna. There are very few places to mount it without drilling. I did it atop the roll bar behind the driver's seat. I went to Lowe's and bought 2 Bronze Ground Clamps, 1 1/4 to 2 inch size. They were just a hair too big, so I added some plastic liners around where the clamps grip. This should also help from scratching the roll hoops. I had a piece of metal from my junk drawer (the light color part the antenna base clamps to). I drilled holes to match the screws in the clamps and mounted as shown. The antenna is a one half wave, which is the only thing that will work on a vehicle with no metal ground plane. I ran the coax to the engine compartment where I plan on mounting the rig (pics later when I do it). It is a rig designed for 2 wheeled bikes and is supposed to be water proof. So, below are pics of the antenna install and the rest will come later.

• I did the antenna installation, as shown in my previous post, because I thought it would be the hard part about the whole installation. I was wrong. The rig was designed for installation on a bike with handlebars. The control head was a little difficult to mount because I had to fabricate a piece of plastic pipe and mount it and the control head to the center brace, which I just installed in preparation for the tall windshield that is on back-order. I had made the hole under the brace to run my cable under the dash to the engine compartment. I forgot how big the connectors were on the control head, so I had to enlarge the opening which is a bit harder after the brace is mounted. After the cable and connector was run from the control head on the dash to the engine compartment, I installed the rig (radio for non-Hams) in the engine compartment. It was designed for external mount on a bike, so it can take a lot.

Power for the rig is always important. If you plan on doing it and your skill level is a beginner, I suggest you run your power cable direct to the battery with a fuse inline as close to the battery as possible. I got my power from the fuse box and tapped into the heated seat circuit after the 20 amp fuse and before the relay for the seat circuit. BTW, I do not have the heated and cooled seats. I ran the ground wire to one of the screws that holds down the computer. Because the power is before the relay, it is always there and does not depend on the engine being on, so I have to make sure the rig is turned off when I park and leave for any time. - BTW, I know the control head mount looks a little skewed so I changed it after the pic was taken and it looks much better and is more secure now.

I found a place on the dash for the mike holder and speaker. The rig and speaker are designed for a lot of audio because they were designed for loud bikes and can be heard on the road wearing a helmet. The pics below should give you and idea of how the installation went.

A short lesson on radio waves: The rig I installed operates on the 2 meter band. That means that when I transmit, the radio signal waves are 2 meters long. For an antenna to transmit and receive the signal, the length should be 2 meters long or an even fraction thereof to be efficient. An antenna 2 meters (a little over 6 ft.) long is impractical on a vehicle, so a ½ wave antenna is a little more practical. That’s the antenna shown in my previous post.

• 1/2 wave bottom loaded dipole I assume?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies